Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
If given the choice between an O.W.C drive or a Lacie, which would prove to be the more reliable? I'm going to use it/them primarily for video storage and as backup for my PowerBook. Any input is very much appreciated. :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Boobs said:
If given the choice between an O.W.C drive or a Lacie, which would prove to be the more reliable? I'm going to use it/them primarily for video storage and as backup for my PowerBook. Any input is very much appreciated. :)

Both OWC and LaCie has proven to be very reliable.
Drive failures is very common, but I've heard that both OWC and LaCie has good support. I recently ordered a LaCie D2 (haven't got it yet).

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Well I've got a Lacie USB porche drive that I've owned since April and I have yet to have a problem with it. I've plugged it into varoise PC's and Mac's and it always works just fine.

So my vote would definalty be for the lacie.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have a lacie d2 that i have had for a few months and so far so good with it. i also know someone who had a lacie porche one and he has had that hor a fair while. and for him also it is going well so far with it. so i would def. recomend a lacie!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
If you own a powerbook 15"/17" alu (1ghz->1.5ghz) then get a lacie d2 extreme because if has fw800.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i got a lacie porche one. (160 GB, FW)

not sure if it's related, but i recommend against trying to clone on it. i tried multiple times and it never worked. i even got a replacement disk and tried on that and for some reason, cloning does not work and seems to do some weird things to the disk itself.

partitioning also gave me problems. some time, it just won't mount. some time, erasing/reformatting didn't work, etc.

partitioning is magically working now, but i'm just sharing my experience. (cloning never worked.)

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
Awesome, thanks for the input everyone! Apple's got a student discount on the Lacie 500GB for $419, and I think you guys just influenced my decision. :D
-The only thing the O.W.C drives have better is the extra year warranty, does that make a big difference to anyone?

furrina

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
i have an OWC 160 GB drive and have had no problems with it. I haven't tried to do anything with it other than store video though.

It's quite compact and lovely, and looks like a little creature with one blue eye. It is virtually silent EXCEPT every 25 minutes or so it make this plaintive mewling sound like a crying baby. It's a tiny sound but a bit disturbing if you don't know where it's coming from.

Still, the drive seems great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.