Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
I picked myself up a Sony Nex 5 with other day and thought I would share my thoughts.

So far I have been really impressed with the camera, there are some little niggles that have been mentioned in the reviews, the interface can be a little annoying due to the lack of manual buttons but I found it ok to use once I got the hang of it and think that the reviews are exaggerating, it certainly isnt so bad that it is a deal breaker. At the end of the day its only software so it could easily be added to, like some people they could do with just adding an option of changing the menu from say basic to pro mode. The other thing is attaching the flash is a bit time consuming but with the good ISO performance I dont feel I will be using it much, and if I do take the camera out and feel I might need it then I will just attach it beforehand and leave it on the camera. I suppose the only problem that will arise is when you want to use a flash and say an optical or electronic viewfinder.

I am really pleased with the picture quality the kit zoom lens is producing, I wasnt impressed at first when I started taking pics in Fine Jpeg mode but then I switched it to RAW and then I was much more satisfied.

I have switched to the NEX from a Sony A200 and I was worried about the change being a fan of DSLR's, and that a lot of the press said that the NEX is aimed at compact users wanting better picture quality. But I have to say now that I dont think I will look back, it is a much easier camera to carry around and much less inconspicious, not that im into taking sneaky pics! But its nice to be able to take a good camera to say a meal out, or other places where a full sized dslr would really make you stand out.

Im looking forward to trying some other lenses with all the adapters that are coming out now, and I would be interested if anyone else here has already tried this out. I am going to look into getting a good prime lens but not decided what to go for yet, maybe an old Zeiss contax or something like that. I am not worried about having to manually focus the camera as the digital zoom confirmation is excellent giving up to 14x magnification and the LCD display is stunning good resolution compared to my A200. The only thing at the moment is I have to stop shoving the camera in my face every time I pick it up trying to look through a viewfinder thats not there!

Anyway would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts or if anyone is looking at buying this camera and has any questions let me know. Though bear in mind im not a pro just a consumer.

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
I'm also interested in the new NEX cameras. I think they would be an nice step up from my current point-and-shoot.
But how do they compare to point-and-shoots? And is shooting in JPEG really that bad?

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
You will notice a big difference between the Nex and a normal point and shoot in image quality and low light performance.

I wasnt happy with the Jpeg output myself, but then I have to say I didnt really test it that much I just switched to RAW because thats what I normally use and noticed a big difference in quality. I might do some test shots to see what difference there really is between the RAW compressed to Jpeg on the computer and the Jpeg straight out the camera and post them on here.

I could also do some comparison shots with a sony compact camera and the Nex if that would interest you?

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
Well, currently I own a Sony W55 point and shoot. I am quite happy with its overall picture quality. But especially in low light situation the camera shows its weakness. The other thing that bothers me is its small optical zoom with only 3x.

Now i'm thinking of purchasing something with a bit more potential. I find the Nikon P100 or the Canon SX1 IS quite appealing. They both have a 20x+ zoom and supposedly good / excellent low light capability and picture quality.
On the other side there is the NEX-5 which is even more expensive than the cameras I mentioned before but it should deliver even better pictures as well. On the negative it currently maxes out at an 11x zoom with the biggest lens.

Question for me is, is it even worth buying such a sophisticated camera as the NEX5 or 3. Can I as a non-pro even utilize it? And do I need a 20x+ zoom or is 11x enough?

I think it would be very helpful if you posted some comparison pics between the p&s and the NEX. Because maybe I can't even tell the difference, which would make the decision simpler. :eek:

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
It really depends on what your photographing as to what zoom of lens you want. I had an 18-250mm lens on my A200, which was a good all round lens but unless your photographing wildlife or airshows, stuff like that you dont really use the full telephoto.

The menu system and tips on the nex is very good if you want to take your photography further from a point and shoot and also it has some very useful modes for shooting twilight pictures and panoramic.

Heres an example of the difference between raw and jpgeg, with no alteration except slight cropping and resizing:

Heres a jpeg:

DSC00139.jpg

and Raw:

raw3.jpg

Jpeg crop:

jpgcrop.jpg

Raw Crop:

rawcrop.jpg

My fiance has the point and shoot so might not be able to get that comparison up until tomorrow night.

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Heres an example of low light, this was taken indoors in the evening without a flash and ISO 1600

monty.jpg

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Comparison agaisnt Sony cybershot 12.1 MP Carl Zeiss lens compact
with flash and without

nexnoflash.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

nexflash.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
It really depends on what your photographing as to what zoom of lens you want. I had an 18-250mm lens on my A200, which was a good all round lens but unless your photographing wildlife or airshows, stuff like that you dont really use the full telephoto.

The menu system and tips on the nex is very good if you want to take your photography further from a point and shoot and also it has some very useful modes for shooting twilight pictures and panoramic.

That's what me got thinking about the NEX. I don't really often take pictures where a long zoom would be helpful. Most of the time I don't even use the 3x of my camera. But when I want to zoom I'd like it to be quite long.
So if I went with a superzoom camera I would always have to carry a big and bulky camera. Whereas with the NEX I could choose a lens depending on what I'm going to shoot which would result in a less bulky camera most of the time.

Regarding your sample shots. First of all thanks for that!
I can't really tell the difference between the raw and the jpeg file. Maybe the raw is a bit better but if I hadn't known there were different I wouldn't have noticed it.
On the other hand I can see a difference between the p&s and the NEX. The NEX pics seem to have a lot less noise and overall better quality and colors. Most I like the pic of your dog! It's a really good shot.

What lens do you use? Is it the 18-55mm? And what do you think about the pancake lens? Would it be useful as the only lens for this camera?

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Regarding your sample shots. First of all thanks for that!
I can't really tell the difference between the raw and the jpeg file. Maybe the raw is a bit better but if I hadn't known there were different I wouldn't have noticed it.
On the other hand I can see a difference between the p&s and the NEX. The NEX pics seem to have a lot less noise and overall better quality and colors. Most I like the pic of your dog! It's a really good shot.

What lens do you use? Is it the 18-55mm? And what do you think about the pancake lens? Would it be useful as the only lens for this camera?

Look at the crops of the guitar, if you look closely at the scratchplate with the tortoise finish there is a lot more detail in the RAW, the JPEG has a kind of hazy look overall in comparison. Its quite noticeable if you look at the top left hand corner of each crop.

I was a little unsure about the camera until I switched to RAW and took the dog pic then I was really impressed, I have never used ISO 1600 before on my DSLR, I would hardly ever venture over 400 but now with the Nex I am completely confident with using 1600 and even higher.

I am using the 18-55mm kit lens for the moment, will probably replace it when something better comes out, im hoping for a Carl Zeiss that will be made specifically for it and think there is a good chance that they will produce one.

Im not sure about the pancake as I haven't tried it, I certainly wouldnt want it as my only lens as 16mm is just for taking landscapes, the 18-55mm is the best choice as a walkaround lens. I have read comments that people dont really rate the 16mm pancake at all and are hoping for some better primes later in the year.

Heres an example of macro:

macro2.jpg

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
Well, okay, I can now see a difference between jpeg and raw. But it doesn't bother me.
What bothers me more at the moment is that there are only three lenses available for the NEX right now. And most of the reviews I read said that these lenses are not very good.
On the other hand the lenses for micro four thirds (like the GF-1 and E-PL1) seem to be quite decent. And there are more to choose from. Also maybe the mft-system is more future proof because there are at least 2 companies behind it.
The last thing that is holding me back atm is that Nikon is rumored to announce something in that league too. Rumor has it that they are potentially sharing the same mount with Sony (i.e. E-Mount). If (and thats a big if) this becomes true we would have two well supported systems to choose from.

mfarrar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
I have been quite happy with the kit lens, after reading the reviews myself I found it to be a lot better than I expected.

Although there arent many E-Mount lenses at the moment im sure there will be quite a few in the pipeline, especially due to the fact the nex has been selling out everywhere.

Also bear in mind there are alot more compact camera users than DSLR so if you have a lot of those users upgrading to the Nex and you have a lot DSLR users buying the Nex as a secondary camera they can use their lenses on (with adapters) there could end up with more people owning Nex's than Sony DSLR's. Then 3rd party lens companies like Sigma and Tamron will probably start making lenses for E mount. The main thing im waiting for is a Carl Zeiss lens for it, and i would be suprised if thats not already in the pipeline.

I heard the rumours about Nikon but figured it probably wouldn't be as good as the Sony as they have more experience with compacts. If Canon make one then that would be interesting.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
What bothers me more at the moment is that there are only three lenses available for the NEX right now. And most of the reviews I read said that these lenses are not very good.

LOL... WUT? You can put any Minolta or Sony A-mount lens on them with a simple adapter. There are a TON of lenses that fit it.

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
LOL... WUT? You can put any Minolta or Sony A-mount lens on them with a simple adapter. There are a TON of lenses that fit it.

Yup! At least for me it totally defeats the purpose of buying such a small camera when at the same time I don't have the ability to use small lenses with it. If I buy a NEX or another small system camera I want the entire camera package to be small. And that means no mount adapters and certainly no lenses made for regular SLRs.
If I didn't care about the overall package size I would just go and buy one of the numerous DSLRs.

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
I have been quite happy with the kit lens, after reading the reviews myself I found it to be a lot better than I expected.

Although there arent many E-Mount lenses at the moment im sure there will be quite a few in the pipeline, especially due to the fact the nex has been selling out everywhere.

Also bear in mind there are alot more compact camera users than DSLR so if you have a lot of those users upgrading to the Nex and you have a lot DSLR users buying the Nex as a secondary camera they can use their lenses on (with adapters) there could end up with more people owning Nex's than Sony DSLR's. Then 3rd party lens companies like Sigma and Tamron will probably start making lenses for E mount. The main thing im waiting for is a Carl Zeiss lens for it, and i would be suprised if thats not already in the pipeline.

I heard the rumours about Nikon but figured it probably wouldn't be as good as the Sony as they have more experience with compacts. If Canon make one then that would be interesting.

Oh really?! I didn't know that the NEX is so popular!

But you're right. It's not so much about how many companies are behind one system, it's about how many user are willing to pay for it.
Unfortunately I don't know how big the MFT market is right now.

I think I have to wait a little longer with my purchase. Maybe in a few month there are more E-Mount lenses or new manufacturers like Canon or Nikon.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Would just love one of these! A little out of my price range though, so I'm going to settle for a Panasonic LX3.

Good luck with your new camera, and thanks for your informative posts!

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008

What about older rangefinder lenses, like Leica Ms, etc? Those are supposedly pretty popular for the M4/3 cameras from Panasonic and Olympus.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I went to the store today and was surprised to see this camera.

I cannot believe the size of it, even with a lens on it. It is a very small package.

Impressive.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I went to the store today and was surprised to see this camera.

I cannot believe the size of it, even with a lens on it. It is a very small package.

Impressive.

I went ahead and ordered the NEX-3 for my birthday. With both 16mm and 18-55mm lenses. SO excited!

I can't justify the price of the NEX-5, even though it's, if possible, even more gorgeous. I've got a Sony HD camcorder to use for the important stuff, so it really just comes down to price for me, and I'm saving for a house lol. Oh well!

Foreverbfc

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Video Quality

Ok, So I was in the market to get a DSLR and a camcorder. After thinking about it and reading several reviews, I've pretty much decided that I don't want the bulk of a DSLR. So the Sony looks pretty good from what I've seen so far. Now the question is, how is the video quality of the NEX 5? I know they claim for it to be 1080, but really, how is it? I'm not expecting it to be a full fledged camcorder, but for small things here and there, do you think it's sufficient? Do you think the NEX 5 is worth the extra cash?

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Call me silly but after owning a Canon 50D for a year, I switched to the NEX-5. I am not a professional photographer, just an average one who tried shooting manually until I got tired of it. I guess I'm not cut to be a pro but when I saw the 50D and thought that I can do so much with it, i bought it but it ended up unsued for a long time. My Canon compact got more usage than the 50D, since it was small enough and pretty powerful enough for my use.

Enter the NEX-5 with 18-55 lens. Let me tell you, the amount of features this little thing has is just phenomenal. I will not detail each one but let me just say it's intended for us, lazy photographers who want awesome looking low light pictures. I always end up taking a blurry low light, hand held pictures with my 50D, but with the NEX-5 and its awesome 'twilight' feature (which takes several shots and compiles them in one), my lowlight pics never looked sharper. Not only that, it has HDR shooting which also combines several shots to produce a picture that the naked eye sees in real life.

Some reviews hit Sony hard with it's 'menu' implementation on the NEX-5, but I'm totally fine with it...and now that a firmware update 3.0 is coming in October, adressing most of these cavetes, I've never beem happier with my purchase.

I'm not a Sony fanboy nor a spokeperson, but seeing how many Sony products I have at home just proves I'm becoming one heck of a fan hehehe.... :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Yup! At least for me it totally defeats the purpose of buying such a small camera when at the same time I don't have the ability to use small lenses with it. If I buy a NEX or another small system camera I want the entire camera package to be small. And that means no mount adapters and certainly no lenses made for regular SLRs.
If I didn't care about the overall package size I would just go and buy one of the numerous DSLRs.

I agree. Those giant lenses on the little body don't work for me. Look at the small lenses on Leicas and other rangefinders. Very small and light, the whole idea if you don't want the giganto DSLR.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Considering a camera such as the Nex-5. Are there any options for using RAW format in Photoshop CS3 without upgrading to CS5?

Anyone else with hands-on opinions about the Nex-5?

I should add that I've been using my old Pentax SLR until recently. I'm tempted on the NEX 5, but wondering if I'll be disappointed if I don't get a DSLR.

Last edited:

jbanger

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
ADL
just upgraded my nex5 to firmware 4.0, it has some really neat features, highly recommended!
can't wait to use these with my fisheye adapter :D
Screen Shot 2011-09-13 at 3.10.08 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.