PDA

View Full Version : G5 Quad's 7800GT Fan > Loud and Fast!

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 13, 2010, 07:48 AM
So is there anyway to fix this other than buying a new graphics card? I've searched but couldn't find a solution.

The 7800GT in my G5 always spins at top speed and is so much louder than the whole system. I've had it disconnected for a while but I don't want it burning up :(. Thinking I just might wire it to the 5v side of the molex connector on the optical drive?

666sheep
Jul 13, 2010, 01:19 PM
If you want to enjoy your 7800 for a long time, do not disconnect it's fan ;)
I'd recommend getting new cooler for it, such as Nvsilencer rev 5 - efficient, silent and throws warm air out of case. Difference between stock 7800 and Nvsilencer is huge, in noise level and cooling efficiency too.

4JNA
Jul 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
i'd go with THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cooling-Accelero-Rev-Cooler/dp/B0014HSPEQ) but it's probably because i love AC, arctic silver 5, mx-2, and every heat sink from them that i've used for vga and cpu... lots. :)

have the equivalent vga cooler on my x1900 and it's been fine for a hot running card. add a slow running fan for more air if you are going to work it hard. best of luck.

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 13, 2010, 04:51 PM
If you want to enjoy your 7800 for a long time, do not disconnect it's fan ;)
I'd recommend getting new cooler for it, such as Nvsilencer rev 5 - efficient, silent and throws warm air out of case. Difference between stock 7800 and Nvsilencer is huge, in noise level and cooling efficiency too.

Thanks, I've been looking around for that one on ebay but one hasn't surfaced yet.

I swapped the heatsink/fan from my 6800 Ultra and now it's running good for now until I can scrape up the NVSilencer. The GPU temp even dropped 10*F and now I can't even hear the fan.

I even thought up of tying it into the LC system :eek::D But I am not sure how much that would impact the cooling for the CPUs from the extra heat?

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 20, 2010, 09:42 PM
i'd go with THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cooling-Accelero-Rev-Cooler/dp/B0014HSPEQ) but it's probably because i love AC, arctic silver 5, mx-2, and every heat sink from them that i've used for vga and cpu... lots. :)

have the equivalent vga cooler on my x1900 and it's been fine for a hot running card. add a slow running fan for more air if you are going to work it hard. best of luck.

Great thanks! Looking at that installed doesn't look like it would work in G5 without removing the clear air baffle first though... But I do like the idea of a passive cooler though. It's so hard finding the NV Silencer 5 but I will eventually.

**added**
After doing some more searching, I think I may go with the Zalman VF1000. It will fit the G5 correctly and going from reviews, does a great job with cooling.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF0fbuLPIVwfmvByGHZfnMGnsFZI-9mBUEywIk8kFOXEiaG8I&t=1&usg=__w7GRJNaAlKqV6mrD3mpOGd2QToI=

AlphaDogg
Jul 21, 2010, 03:05 AM
**added**
After doing some more searching, I think I may go with the Zalman VF1000. It will fit the G5 correctly and going from reviews, does a great job with cooling.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF0fbuLPIVwfmvByGHZfnMGnsFZI-9mBUEywIk8kFOXEiaG8I&t=1&usg=__w7GRJNaAlKqV6mrD3mpOGd2QToI=

That looks like a very capable heatsink ;).

Hilmi Hamidi
Jul 21, 2010, 03:13 AM
I still have my 7800 GT in my PC.
It still can play games like Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 with medium settings.

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
Found and installed the Arctic Silencer NV5 Silencer. Works great and dropped my temps a bit further. Nice and quiet too :D

Did have to do a little modification to the rear screw on nuts. I had to grind them down as they protruded too far out hit the CPU divider. Busted out the old angle grinder and grinded them down to about 1/8". Fits all nice and snug now with clearance.

GyroFX
Aug 4, 2010, 02:51 AM
i thought the NV5 for 7800gt was discontinued? I couldn't find any when i was looking for them

666sheep
Aug 4, 2010, 05:24 AM
Did have to do a little modification to the rear screw on nuts. I had to grind them down as they protruded too far out hit the CPU divider. Busted out the old angle grinder and grinded them down to about 1/8". Fits all nice and snug now with clearance.

I've forgotten to mention about screws. I use very flat nuts (2 mm diameter) instead of factory ones.

i thought the NV5 for 7800gt was discontinued? I couldn't find any when i was looking for them

They are sometimes on eBay, look for Rev.3. On my local market they are on sales for equivalent of $2 + shipping :D

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 4, 2010, 06:24 AM
So the NV3 was also compatible? I got lucky with the NV5 I found on ebay. It was basically $20 shipped so I'm very happy with it.

I looked all over but couldn't find any nuts small enough to fit those small threads. I did remember reading about this on the internet anyways so I was prepared for the worst lol. So I did the next best thing, grind down the ones that were supplied :p. I also had to break off the screw threads a bit to make clearance. Works great now otherwise. :)

666sheep
Aug 4, 2010, 07:27 AM
So the NV3 was also compatible?

Sorry, I wasn't precise. I meant NV Silencer 5 Rev.3 - this rev was last IIRC and has improved fan bearing.

GyroFX
Aug 4, 2010, 07:18 PM
They are sometimes on eBay, look for Rev.3. On my local market they are on sales for equivalent of $2 + shipping :D

wow, that's really cheap. I wish I could have gotten one for that price. Oh well, I'm trying to sell my 7800GT card now. Just trying to get to 250 posts so i can use the marketplace. I'm been on this site since 2002 but only managed 170 posts...LOL

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 4, 2010, 08:44 PM
Sorry, I wasn't precise. I meant NV Silencer 5 Rev.3 - this rev was last IIRC and has improved fan bearing.
Just checked the packaging and I did get the Rev3 :D. You should buy up every single one of them and sell them in the states lol. $2.00 is cheap :eek: