Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
OK. Following on from my last post a few days ago where I listed a couple of players & was hoping to have luck with, I'm now starting from scratch.

I want an mp3 player I can use easily with my mac, but I don't want an ipod.

I can probaply survive on around 1.5 gig, and I'd like one with removable, rechargeable battery, that I can buy as spare of too....

Ideally no bigger than the MUVO2, And no more expensive that about 120 quid.

Any ideas....?

Mike. :confused: :confused: :confused:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Can I ask why you don't want an iPod? They will work the best and the most seemless with your mac, and if you look on eBay you can get a Mini new for £145, or 3G 15GB for ~£130.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Well 140 would be at the absolute top of my budget, and I'd be paying for something a lot more sophisticated than I need. 1.5 gig would be plenty, and it will only ever be used for music down the gym, I'm not actually that interested of the fashionable appeal of the ipod...

I also want to go smaller, around the size of a soundstick. Packard Bell do one thats about 70mm x 30 but it doesn't have a removable, replacable battery.

Whats the situation with ipod batteries these days? Is it still 2 years use then goodnight? I want to buy a spare battery at the same time as the player to cover myself....

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
AAAs....

I wanted originally to avoid ine of these players that just takes 1 AAA batters, but I guess that as long as I go for a good quality one, thats gonna be the safest long term option. After all, there will always be battereies!!

Plus I've already got a set of rechargeable AAAs for an old cd walkman I have kicking around.....

Hmmmmm. Food for thought. There's Packard Bell sound stick half price down to #100 in Currys. Wonder if that'll work....... :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
even with a flash-based iPod, it won't have 1.5 GB. and chances are, it will be more expensive than other mp3 players. so i wouldn't wait for it...

i'd get a flash-based mp3 with 256 or 512 MB with an expansion slot. get a 512 MB /1 GB SD card and i think you'll be all set.

there aren't too many mp3 players with removable rechargeable batteries, i'm afraid.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
There are none!

iPod alternatives that is.

Just how much is a 1gig flash card anyway? I think you're stuck with an iPod as the best value if you go over 512megs.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
jxyama said:
even with a flash-based iPod, it won't have 1.5 GB. and chances are, it will be more expensive than other mp3 players. so i wouldn't wait for it...

i'd get a flash-based mp3 with 256 or 512 MB with an expansion slot. get a 512 MB /1 GB SD card and i think you'll be all set.

there aren't too many mp3 players with removable rechargeable batteries, i'm afraid.

I dont know why they dont do it but it'd be nice if I could replace iPod's battery easily. I once had a walkman which worked with a slim battery, why dont iPod have that?

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
mikebatho said:
I'm not actually that interested of the fashionable appeal of the ipod...
thats not all there is to the ipod. is is simply the best player out there. If there was any comparison in quality i doubt the iPod would get 92% market share on good looks alone

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
(SIGH).......

I don't want a mini. I was sure I'd mentioned that at the start.

Recon I'll prolly go for a 512mb flash player. That'll take all the tunes I need on a daily basis and isn't as conspicuous as the ipod.

Cheers, fellows....

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
CREATIVE....

I don't need 5 gig like the Creative player, and it looks too big too. I'm just after something up to 1gig in size thats small enough to go onto a keychain in my pocket.

Not a critisism here, but I find that people with ipods are keen for them to be noticed, where as I want mine out of site.....

Packard Bell do a 1gig AUDIODREAM, but you can't get at the battery. Dixons are selling that for 129 pounds, and its absolutely miniscule!!

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
mikebatho said:
Whats the situation with ipod batteries these days? Is it still 2 years use then goodnight? I want to buy a spare battery at the same time as the player to cover myself....

Batteries.com is listing batteries for the iPod at USD 33-47. Not an unreasonable price for a battery that lasts two years. Also, I believ Apple have a pdf for replacing the battery and you can do it yourself. Just go to ipodhacks.com or any other site devoted to ipods and you'll find pleny of info about replacing the battery and I'm sure links to cheaper batteries as well.

There aren't any batteries available for the 4G iPod yet, they only came out in August so I'm sure that even the most die hard user couldn't have burned it up in only three months!

Trust me, you'll never regret the iPod. It's not just stylish and easy to use but also rock solid. Something I'm sure you'll appreciate ifyou're taking it to the gym.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
mikebatho said:
OK. Following on from my last post a few days ago where I listed a couple of players & was hoping to have luck with, I'm now starting from scratch.

I can probaply survive on around 1.5 gig, and I'd like one with removable, rechargeable battery, that I can buy as spare of too....

Any ideas....?

You might want to temper your expectations a bit in terms of the capacity. The Muvo Micro, which is probably what you're looking for in terms of the form factor, goes for USD129 for the 512MB and USD199 for the 1GB version. (USB199 is about 110 pounds no?) There are no 1.5gb players out there, as far as I know. The next step up above 1GB is 4GB (HDD). The MuVo uses AAA batteries which satisfies your replaceable battery requirement.

As for interoperability with iTunes (I'm assuming you're talking about iTunes when you say compatibility with your Mac), it's gonna be a clunky solution with anything other than an iPod. Apple used to have Creative Nomad pluggins for iTunes but I don't think anymore. So you'll have to manually load mp3s into your MuVo, which could be a pain. Also, Creative products don't support AACs and Fairplay, so you're SOL when it comes to iTMS.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Nobody's listening.....

Hello....?

I'm not laying out ipod cash, & thats it. I already have means of playing music when I'm on train journeys etc - personal cd & mini disc.

I'm not paying for an ipod to use for an hour at the gym 3 times a week. Are we all clear on that? I'm not interested in diving head first into the digital age & swanning around with a piece of kit that is FAR to sophisticated for my needs.

I don't even have enough albums to fill the thing.

So are we all on the same page? Simple, cheap (ish) tiny players. I know you love your ipods, but trying to get me to buy one isn't helping....

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Nobody's listening.....

Hello....?

I'm not laying out ipod cash, & thats it. I already have means of playing music when I'm on train journeys etc - personal cd & mini disc.

I'm not paying for an ipod to use for an hour at the gym 3 times a week. Are we all clear on that? I'm not interested in diving head first into the digital age & swanning around with a piece of kit that is FAR to sophisticated for my needs.

I don't even have enough albums to fill the thing.

So are we all on the same page? Simple, cheap (ish) tiny players. I know you love your ipods, but trying to get me to buy one isn't helping....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Also....

On behalf of the campaign for plain English, can we try & keep it simple?

I'm not a mac enthusiast and some of the phrases used in posts don't help me. All I meant when I said it needed to be mac compatible it that I want to be able to plug the thing in & drag songs onto it from my desktop or a cd (mp3 cd). It doesn't have to be lightning fast, I have plenty of time....

SuhasG

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2004
Why not try iRiver ?

Why not check iRiver? They have models from 256 MB to 1 GB with price $149 to $225. Sound quality is excellent (next to iPod) , work on AA/AAA size batteries. Has FM tuner, FM recording, voice recording, microphone input to recored CD, LP, Cassettes directly into MP3, can be used as USB Data storage. No restriction to use any proprietory software to transfer music to-fro. Simple user interface and good quality LCD Screen. Comes with all std accessories such as cables, case, shoulder band etc.

I have one (256MB) and quite happy with it.

By the way I am no way connected to iRiver , just a music lover like you.

Hope this helps.

SuhasG

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
What about getting a used CL muvo2 off Ebay? They have 4GB now, but until recently this was a 1.5GB thingy. Should be in your price range as well.

BTW, I have an iPod. It's sturdy, reliable, a nicely crafted piece of functional and durable hardware. And, yes, you can replace the battery. In your place I'd take a look at a used 10GB 3rd gen., this will suit your needs, and is within your price range. But since you don't want to, you'll have to get along with something lesser. But the muvo is a good machine, and it's small.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
mikebatho said:

Any ideas....?

OMG! Look at the caps in the title! My god! My eyes!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.