PDA

View Full Version : If a computer is a Christmas wish, read this before you wrap...

MacBytes
Nov 8, 2004, 10:50 AM
Category: Tips and How To\'s
Link: If a computer is a Christmas wish, read this before you wrap one up (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041108115031)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Sharewaredemon
Nov 8, 2004, 02:06 PM
"Never, ever buy the extended warranty."

:eek:

ACK!!!

is he serious? who is this guy working for. Only one thing needs to happen to your computer, ONE, and the warrenty will have been paid for by having cost less than the repair would have.

Moonlight
Nov 8, 2004, 02:34 PM

ACK!!!

is he serious? who is this guy working for. Only one thing needs to happen to your computer, ONE, and the warrenty will have been paid for by having cost less than the repair would have.

after a year(normal warranty) if nothing is wrong, most likely nothing will go wrong...but buy it if you like to gamble

stoid
Nov 8, 2004, 02:59 PM
I would say that for people that move their laptops around frequently should get the extended warrantee while desktopers and laptops that remain stationary most of the time should not. While most (all?) standard extended warrantees do not cover accidental damage, the extra motion rattles the machine, and can make it more suseptible to natural wear and tear.

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 03:04 PM
Today's Macs can, with a little software help, run Windows applications with surprising aplomb.

Not that they NEED to...
Gee whiz

palusami
Nov 8, 2004, 03:09 PM

ACK!!!

i can kinda see where he's coming from though. the warranty for my pb is pretty expensive. btw, if you buy a 'puter on a credit card, the credit card may extend the basic manufacturers warranty, depending on what type of credit card is used and if it applies to 'puters. i bought a projection tv and it broke down quite a few times. luckily, i bought it on my visa which extended the 1 yr warranty on my tv by another year so visa ended up taking care of all the repair work.

JordanNZ
Nov 8, 2004, 05:01 PM
Just after my one year warranty ran out on my 1ghz ti-book, the backlight in my screen started to fail, and my dvd burner started to die. I've had my computer for about a year and a half.

I think extended warrantys are a must have for laptop owners. I'm pissed off that everything went wrong JUST after it ran out.

wdlove
Nov 9, 2004, 09:20 AM
I certainly disagree with him on the warrnaty also. It's case were it's almost a required. Allows for peace of mind. Along with the new features of the ProCare Card.

"First, consider letting your loved ones select their own computer. PCs are not as personal a selection as, say, clothing, but there are some considerations, including keyboard and screen size. I have large hands and I simply cannot type on many keyboards because they are just too small."

I do agree with him that a computer is a personal item. So it really needs to be purchased with imput from the receiver. It would certainly be more difficult to return.

MacDawg
Nov 9, 2004, 09:26 AM
My wife wants to buy my daughter a laptop, and I have insisted that she not do it as a surprise, but let my college daughter pick it out herself. My wife in not computer savvy and doesn't understand subtle differences. To her, just buy the cheapest one at Walmart and go... NOT!

cluthz
Nov 9, 2004, 09:38 AM
AppleCare (for powerbooks) costs $349 +vat!
You can sell your laptop and get a new one every 11.5 months for the same price...