PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Manager - An Open Source Virtual Desktop That Rocks

MacBytes
Nov 8, 2004, 10:50 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Desktop Manager - An Open Source Virtual Desktop That Rocks (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041108115053)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

azdude
Nov 8, 2004, 11:49 AM
Yes, it's pretty, but I can't do without certain features of CodeTek Virtual Desktop Pro which I've paid for.

I've noticed a TON of reasons *while* I was trying out Desktop Manager, but I can only remember these 5 right now, which are the biggest ones.
- **Different desktop background pictures for different desktops
- AppleScript-able (I have a script which "cleans up" my apps into their desktops)
- Automatically launch certain apps in certain desktops
- Be able to show certain apps in ALL desktops (iChat, etc)
- Drag apps from desktop to desktop from *within* the pager

That said, I'd rather see the quartz goodies incorporated into CodeTek, frankly because its a lot more likely than DM incorporating CodeTek's bazillion pro features.

Stella
Nov 8, 2004, 12:33 PM
Desktop Manager is great.. I've stopped using because unfortunately it doesn't work too well with LiteSwitchX which I cannot live without!

LSX stops working when you change to another desktop - DM tries LSX as being present in only one desktop or all. I don't know of a way to get LSX to be 'Sticky' across all desktops as you can with 'normal' applications.

If anyone knows how...

mainstreetmark
Nov 8, 2004, 01:44 PM
Desktop Manager now lets you sticky any app to all windows. That's nice.

And I didn't know anyone still used LightSwitchX. I thought that project died when Apple did their own implimentation of the Windows switcher, and Proteron got their feelings hurt, because they copied Windows first.

Personally, I had wished Apple hadn't mimic'd windows so closely, but a familiar switcher and alias/shortcut arrows may help a switcher (the human coming from the PC) get used to things quicker.

sjk
Nov 8, 2004, 03:51 PM
Yes, it's pretty, but I can't do without certain features of CodeTek Virtual Desktop Pro which I've paid for.I agree. After installing and tinkering with Desktop Manager on a friend's PowerBook last month it was soon obvious how certain features of CTVDP have become essential for me.

One thing that's been frustratingly crippling is an incompatibility between CTVDP 3.1 and EyeTV 1.6 which both companies have acknowledged months ago yet neither has provided a fix. When CTVDP is running it's impossible to do anything with EyeTV except recording. :mad:

awulf
Nov 8, 2004, 05:32 PM
I really Like Desktop Manager, I've been using it since version 0.3.
I have tried CodeTek Virtual Desktop, but I agree with the author of the article that it is too clunky, plus Desktop Manager is free.

Mainyehc
Nov 8, 2004, 07:35 PM
I, too, have been using it since I bought my old iMac G4 last year, and I can say it's among one of the most useful apps I've come across. I'm sticking with the 0.4.1 version, because the most recent ones have a bug, wich prevents Exposé from graying out the background when in "Application mode"... Give it a try, and please, remind the developer of this annoyng bug. It's little things like this turn otherwise perfect software into not-so-perfect, irritating apps :(
It's an insanely great app anyway, give it a try, its implementation is better than it would lead anyone to believe. It's even cooler if you're using a three-button mouse; you can assign a keyboard shortcut for moving windows between desktops (by means of a selection menu), and then, assign that same shortcut to one of the buttons (in my case, the scroll wheel). It improved my productivity, as I can have two general purpose desktops, and two other for work (your mileage may vary), and even my privacy. I no longer need to hide compromising IM windows and such if I want to show something to someone with my Mac, or hide Safari, aMSN, Ircle, P2P of all sorts (just to name a few) when I'm supposed to be working and my parents drop by in my room... ;)

TwitchOSX
Nov 8, 2004, 09:31 PM
Doesnt work with the Mac at work... but I tried it at home. REALLY like the eye candy. Im a graphic artist so I enjoy crap like that... but either way, I dont see any difference between this app and CodeTek Virtual Desktop (which I did pay for) besides these things:

CANT drag windows between desktops. Useless unless I can do that.

Cant drag the desktop manager around ... basically, It gives me pre-set locations where it can locate. If I want it in the lower left hand corner of my monitor .... which I do, the problem is that it goes into my dock.. and I cant move it above the dock! If I cant move it above the dock, its not going to work... cuz the dock gets in the way and takes over of the mouse action. ARGH..

Will keep using Codeteks version for now until this program fixes thos little things. I feel kinda bad for Codetek though... Since they have a program for sale and this guy is about to offer a better program for less (free)... but hey.. free is better than paying for stuff and Codetek already has my money'z.

awulf
Nov 9, 2004, 02:23 AM
I, too, have been using it since I bought my old iMac G4 last year, and I can say it's among one of the most useful apps I've come across. I'm sticking with the 0.4.1 version, because the most recent ones have a bug, wich prevents Exposé from graying out the background when in "Application mode"... Give it a try, and please, remind the developer of this annoyng bug.

That bug doesn't seem to appear for me, I'm using 0.5.1 on 10.3.5.

Cant drag the desktop manager around ... basically, It gives me pre-set locations where it can locate. If I want it in the lower left hand corner of my monitor .... which I do, the problem is that it goes into my dock.. and I cant move it above the dock! If I cant move it above the dock, its not going to work... cuz the dock gets in the way and takes over of the mouse action. ARGH..

I seem to be able to move the Pager around the screen to any place I want it to be, including under and over the dock, when the dock is on or off auto hide.
Also it may not work with the mac at Work since they might be running 10.2 and you need to use an early version of .2 or .3 (can't remember). You can find these versions.
Old version can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86417

Stella
Nov 9, 2004, 07:21 AM
The apple implementation seems clunky. LSX feels better and has better functionality.

If Apple were going to 'copy it' they should have done the full job instead of a half hearted attempt!!!

And I didn't know anyone still used LightSwitchX. I thought that project died when Apple did their own implimentation of the Windows switcher, and Proteron got their feelings hurt, because they copied Windows first.

MacDawg
Nov 9, 2004, 08:21 AM
I'm pretty intrigued by this, and I'll probably download and try this at home tonight or tomorrow. Anything specific that I should look out for as far as problems are concerned.

Will it mess anything up that can't be fixed just by uninstalling it?

sjk
Nov 9, 2004, 01:29 PM
Will it mess anything up that can't be fixed just by uninstalling it?Unlikely, unless your system is messed up in some peculiar way before/after the installation. Sort of like how the preexisting state of systems makes certain Apple OS updates get blamed for things that they can't have directly caused. DM is a drag/drop install so removing it is trivial.

According to Jonathan ‘Wolf’ Rentzsch's mach_inject and mach_override Users (http://rentzsch.com/mach_inject/mach_Users) page, Desktop Manager and Virtual Desktop (Pro) use those functions to patch the system. Any risks might be similar to running Unsanity Haxies but I haven't compared their technical details.

sjk
Nov 9, 2004, 01:36 PM
Will keep using Codeteks version for now until this program fixes thos little things. I feel kinda bad for Codetek though... Since they have a program for sale and this guy is about to offer a better program for less (free)... but hey.. free is better than paying for stuff and Codetek already has my money'z.A couple months ago CodeTek solicited suggestions for CTVD Pro V4. I've sent them several in the past but all I really want right now is a fix for that )(*&Q@#$ EyeTV conflict.

MacDawg
Nov 9, 2004, 01:42 PM
Unlikely, unless your system is messed up in some peculiar way before/after the installation. Sort of like how the preexisting state of systems makes certain Apple OS updates get blamed for things that they can't have directly caused. DM is a drag/drop install so removing it is trivial.

According to Jonathan ‘Wolf’ Rentzsch's mach_inject and mach_override Users (http://rentzsch.com/mach_inject/mach_Users) page, Desktop Manager and Virtual Desktop (Pro) use those functions to patch the system. Any risks might be similar to running Unsanity Haxies but I haven't compared their technical details.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow. If I find any problems, I'll post them.

quidire
Nov 9, 2004, 02:11 PM
Desktop Manager

To all those who said they cannot drag a window from one desktop to another, try this:

* move the mouse over whichever window you want to move
* press CNTRL-CMND-(left or right) arrow
* the window will now be on that other desktop, which will have come forward.

-RS

cluthz
Nov 9, 2004, 02:40 PM
I'm using it everyday on the university.
Its a must when you are programming, you can have terminal in one desktop and text editor in a second and mozilla in the third, etc...
Many of my fellow students was so exited about it! :cool:
I'm using the cude transistion and 4 desktops, then its very easy to remember where you want to go (a visual reminder.. cube spins right.. cube spins left..)
I'm not using it much at home since i've got two screens