PDA

View Full Version : The Music Mess: Advantage, Microsoft

MacBytes
Nov 8, 2004, 12:51 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Music Mess: Advantage, Microsoft (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041108135117)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 01:01 PM
I think people want value, ease of use and accessibility. The music crowd is savvy enough to appreciate iTunes and iPod. The fact that Apple has made both available to Windows users makes the gap less wide.

The elegance, usability, stability and cool factor make it advantage Apple.

stoid
Nov 8, 2004, 01:35 PM
Now ain't that some high level BS! Apple hardly makes money from the iTMS, and they get their profit from the iPod. The iPod can, if Apple pays the licensing fees, play WMA tracks. So even if Microsoft can take over the market by leveraging their dominance in the OS market to pass their barely-good-enough product, Apple can just adjust the iPod to support WMA. Either that, or go back o selling computers....

formatc
Nov 8, 2004, 02:01 PM
"Gates & Co. focus on compatibility"...

The only compatibility Gates is focused on is compatibility with the
Windows operating system. Your article absolutely fails to mention
that little tidbit.

This is just the beginning of paid online music. Just like digital
cameras can print without a computer, the future for downloaded music
is one without a computer in the middle:

Motorola and Apple to bring iTMS to cell phones
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20040727-4035.html

montex
Nov 8, 2004, 04:22 PM
It's too early to declare Microsoft the winner in the battle for online music downloads. And why does Businessweek just take for granted that Plays-For-Sure will be successful? Microsoft's backing is no guarantee of success. Paradigms will shift and as the Window's operating system is ripped apart by viruses, spyware and the like, people will be drawn more and more to the Macintosh way.

BTW, the safest was to buy music is to purchase the CD, rip it to your computer and then put it into digital music player - what ever type that may be. iTune's is fast and convenient, but I prefer to keep my music in the physical form of a CD - which is the backup and DRM free.

jbembe
Nov 8, 2004, 04:34 PM
Now ain't that some high level BS! Apple hardly makes money from the iTMS, and they get their profit from the iPod. The iPod can, if Apple pays the licensing fees, play WMA tracks. So even if Microsoft can take over the market by leveraging their dominance in the OS market to pass their barely-good-enough product, Apple can just adjust the iPod to support WMA. Either that, or go back o selling computers....

This article should be under a new class: FARCE. Vapid useless article.

Macmaniac
Nov 8, 2004, 04:42 PM
He does make one good point, Apple does need to open their standard up a little bit more so devices like the sound bridge can work with ITMS, it is not going to hurt apple, it will only help to improve Apples position.

nagromme
Nov 8, 2004, 05:10 PM
Apple can open up their iPod and iTunes in an instant via a small downloadable update.

Therefore, they need not rush to do so. Wait until the time is RIGHT--if it ever is.

The time is certainly not now.

And remember all the things Microsoft has tried to get into and failed at: Bluetooth hardware, cordless phones, etc. And in other areas, they are "successful" to a degree, but the market leaders remain alongside them. Examples: video games and Playstation, mice and Logitech, etc.

trebblekicked
Nov 8, 2004, 06:27 PM
all this crying about opening is premature. i think apple WILL eventually open their system.

again, all these analysts are applying old world rules to a nascent market no one yet understands. has anyone focus grouped digital music consumers? was "choice of online music store" high on their list? if so, i haven't heard about it, and apple likely would have.

right now, the one force that is obviously having an effect on digital downloads is the ipod. ipod dominates the player market, and as a result, itunes dominates the store market. apple holds all those cards, and until something else comes along and trumps the ipod (janus portable subscriptions may turn out to be one,) apple would be stupid to open up.

let the consumers form actual opinions on the market, and let some trends develop before you apply "OS-war" lessons to the DRM issue.

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 07:01 PM
Apple is in a position of strength right now, and should exploit it. Don't panic. Let it run its course. The iPod is wildly successful and profitable, and that position shouldn't be opened up lightly or prematurely.

hulugu
Nov 8, 2004, 09:03 PM
...so forgive the metaphors.

But, Apple has a nice hand and can tell everyone else at the table got a lousy flop. Right now it's time to bet big and make everyone fold or sucker someone in for the big pay off. But, right now is not the time to fold.

However, a universal standard would be the best thing for internet-based music. This would be like Mp3 with some kind of DRM-wrapper, controlled by a consortium of companies, including Apple, MS, Sony, etc. And, ideally, Apple's iPod would play Real Player music, but of course no one would buy Real's music because iTMS is so much better. If there's a song on another site, or another site offers Lossless versions of songs for an extra fee, or a subscription service, they would work across each platform. But, this guy misses a major part of this, MS is not the universal standard, but a competing standard to Apple's. MS is English, and Gates and Co. seem to be saying, yeah language is great, so long as you speak English and agree to our terms.
So, for people who have the audacity to choose Linux or OSX or even pure Unix, they can use this standard without paying the MS tax. And, it keeps MSówho the author even admits has too much powerófrom attaining yet another fuzzy standardólike .docóthey can use to keep Linux and even Apple from attaining more share on the desktop.
Lastly, this author misses the point, that thus far Apple is the de facto standard, they sell a more than significant portion of the downloaded music right now and hold a large percentage of the Mp3-player market. For all intensive purposes, Apple gets to choose the standard and while I love AAC w/ Fairplay, I see the need for that universal standard. If that must come about by licensing it, I think that's the direction Apple must take. The iPod is great, but owning the downloaded media market and getting Quicktime and iTunes on every PC is much more important.

ariza910
Nov 8, 2004, 10:24 PM
The writer of the Technology & You column in Business Week, Stephen H. Wildstrom, is a moron.

He is completely disconnected from where technology is today, im not just talking about this article about iTunes, I am saying that he is consistently moronic about each and everyone of his reviews.

I see right through his bull **** but I feel bad for all those folks that dont know any better.

Oh and i love how he rips comments from other articles, I have spotted comments word for word from other reviews I have read on the web or in computer magazines right in his articles.

Sol
Nov 9, 2004, 01:32 AM
I think the guy who wrote this article believed Microsoft's hype about it's online music store. Before declaring DRM WMA as the most compatible audio format he should take note of the fact that us Mac users are locked out of most online music stores because Microsoft has not updated its software. On the other hand, iTunes allows Macs and PCs to play all the same formats.

As for Apple not opening the DRM AAC format, that is not true. Apple and Motorola have announced plans to bring iTunes to mobile phones in 2005. HP and Apple have also worked together to make DRM AAC files playable on HP Media Centre PCs. No-one is going to lose sleep over iTunes' incompatibility with el-cheapo MP3 players, except maybe Bill Gates and his hanger-ons.