PDA

View Full Version : Apple Display Connector adapter

wjlafrance
Jul 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hey folks.

I recently bought a DVI cable to hook up a second monitor to my G4 QuickSilver but I didn't realize that the second port on it's AGP card was actually an ADC port instead of DVI. Complaints about how I'll take a power strip over a non-standard graphics port any day, does anyone know of an adapter to go from ADC to DVI (I know the other way is significantly more complex) on the cheap? The cheapest I've found is $35 or so.

Alternatively, I'm not above butchering electronics. If I were to Dremel the outside of a DVI plug off so only the pins are left (the port is the same except the plug border), would the power sent over ADC be rather.. explosive to my monitor, or would I be fine?

Thanks. :)

Hrududu
Jul 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
You must buy the ADC to DVI adapter. While similar in appearance, the pins are NOT the same. There is not only power on the ADC cable, but USB as well. If you can find one for $35, consider yourself lucky. Those sold for $100 new and still fetch about $65+ on eBay all the time.

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 13, 2010, 08:58 PM
You can buy ADC>DVI adapters pretty cheaply, I've seen them for around $20 on ebay. It's the DVI>ADC adapters that originally sold for $100 since it required an external power adapter to power the ADC Cinema Display.

wjlafrance
Jul 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to get the adapter after all. :(