PDA

View Full Version : NO! Don't Die....Can it be resuscitated?

Starhorsepax
Jul 13, 2010, 07:15 PM
Help!
My G3 imac running Panther just silently conked out. :eek: Blinked off, and won't restart. Tried unplugging, replugging, different location plugging (worked the one time it happened before.) But now: nothing. Can it be saved? I haven't quite managed to shift everything off to the newer macbook. (In fact, that's what I was trying to do when it went blooey.) Some stuff I can't, because it ran on classic and I can't afford to upgrade.

Ok, I'm also sentimental. But is there anything I can do? New cord perhaps? Has anyone experience with this resuscitation? (Sinking fear that only an expensive trip to the mac store - and charges for more than it would sell for - to save it.) :(

Hate to have to change my signature too...

Angelo95210
Jul 13, 2010, 07:23 PM
In the worst case, you could probably take the hard drive of the G3 and put it in an external enclosure to transfer your data.

From what you said it's hard to make a diagnostic. Might be the motherboard, you can find a new one on ebay if you want to save this computer. But there are many other possibilities.

AlphaDogg
Jul 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
As someone said above, you may be able to disassemble the computer, take the hard drive and put it in an enclosure, to salvage the data. Or if you are really sentimental, but do not care if it works, there is always the option of turning it into an iMacquarium (fish tank made from an old iMac). Here are instructions: http://imacquarium.cool-mac.com/

Angelo95210
Jul 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
there is always the option of turning it into an iMacquarium (fish tank made from an old iMac). Here are instructions: http://imacquarium.cool-mac.com/

I find this recommendation particularly rude !!! :D

4JNA
Jul 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
i'd bet a dollar that it's the PAV board (power/analog/video) that has failed. i've seen it over and over. as the cost of the board is more than the cost of a similar system... pull the drive and move on unless you are good at circuit board repair. best of luck.