Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JestersWorld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm Thinking of getting a MacBook Air for school because really I don't need much. This is due to the fact that I have both an iMac and an iPad which takes care of most my my school stuff. However I need something for the few things the iPad doesn't do and for the times where I need to be on the go. So anyway my main issues are I love the MacBook air, the look and design but I have read the forums and no some of the issues, i.e the hinge and the over heating so I want to know how bad are these problems. Do most of you guys who have an air love it? Or have to many issues.

Also are there any solutions to the heat issue and hinge problems I have heard so much about. What have you guys used?

Thanks!
:confused::D

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
I haven't had mine long enough to speak to the hinge issue but there's always apple care which is more reasonable on student discount.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The end of the quarter or the beginning is my guess for an update. Either way it could be within 2 weeks. If it doesn't then it probably will not get refreshed until after School starts in the fall.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
The end of the quarter or the beginning is my guess for an update. Either way it could be within 2 weeks. If it doesn't then it probably will not get refreshed until after School starts in the fall.

Nope.

It's coming next tuesday. I guarantee it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
How do you know, no offense but people have been saying that in the forums since before janurary.
:apple:

That's just it... people have been guaranteeing it for a year, including me. Sooner or later, SOMEONE will be correct. Unless someone educates us with their knowledge, I assume it's simply guesswork. So maybe the user will reply with some education about their knowledge and why next Tuesday is the day.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
That's just it... people have been guaranteeing it for a year, including me. Sooner or later, SOMEONE will be correct. Unless someone educates us with their knowledge, I assume it's simply guesswork. So maybe the user will reply with some education about their knowledge and why next Tuesday is the day.

Exactly the point I was trying to make (subtlly). A broken clock is still right twice a day.

But I have been waiting like a python in the weeds to pounce with my prediction.

Now I have it on record, so if it turns out I'm right, I can show that to all the newbees on here and they can bow to me like a Mac soothsaying god.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Won't someone see a rumor such as a Steve email message, Best Buy inventory, factory rumors, shipping notice times within a week or two of them shipping.

Almost every time, at least the day before a release, a small flurry of 'stories' come out about a possible release. One story, not so... but if you start to see a few, then you can start to bank on it.

The one time recently I DON'T think that happened was with this last mac mini release. Unless I'm mistaken, there was no stories about 'mac mini to be released tomorrow?' stories here or anywhere else on June 14th (the day before it was released).

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Don't forget, next week will be my turn to say that!

But there is a small tad of logic to my guess:

consider -

April 13, Macbook Pro release

May 18, Macbook release

June 15, Mac mini release.

In other words, in EACH of the past three months, just around mid month, on a Tuesday, a new model has been updated. And, by the way, EACH of those models have an internal architechture (video card, etc) that presumably would be similar to the next MBA.

Next tuesday is July 20. So keeping with this pattern, SOME mac is going to be updated, and my bet is that it's the MBA.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

consider -

May 18, Macbook release

In other words, in EACH of the past three months, just around mid month, on a Tuesday, a new model has been updated. And, by the way, EACH of those models have an internal architechture (video card, etc) that presumably would be similar to the next MBA.

Next tuesday is July 20. So keeping with this pattern, SOME mac is going to be updated, and my bet is that it's the MBA.

I actually think it's far more likely that Apple would update the 21.5" iMac next week. It is part of the MacFive, and I assume they sell a heck of a lot more 21.5" iMacs than MBAs... so the iMac gets the Nvidia 320m next week, or the Mac Pro gets its turn, OR maybe if Hell freezes over the MBA gets a little love.

We will see. I definitely will not forget to come back here and revisit this next Tuesday. I would be ECSTATIC to find you to be correct, and the MBA even just gets the Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM, and glass trackpad. That would be just lovely.

One thing I am torn on is the LIF/SATA-II cable. Do we want Apple to switch and use a standard or Micro SATA-II or continue on with the LIF? I know the third-party suppliers are making better SSDs but they will not work if Apple switches the cable type. Also, what does Apple do about the SSD in the MBA and the price? Assuming we get this MBA update on Tuesday.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA

consider -

May 18, Macbook release

So then, what's going to be the BIG news for September referenced in the MacRumors Home Page?.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
mangrove: the Sept. thing...

... rumored would presumably be that the server farm goes online? And suddenly with the iCloud, the small 128 SSD in the Air isn't the limitation it used to be?

And the company has one more ongoing revenue stream

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010

consider -

May 18, Macbook release

But according to your logic I'd have been 2 days ago...

I presume they're saving the MBA-update for the switch to past-C2D. MBA is such a low-volume product they can use it to try out entirely new technology, which wouldn't be so costly should it fail. Among Scottdale's 5 it's the most likely candidate, also because MBA-users are quite willing to pay a lot for new technology.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
But according to your logic I'd have been 2 days ago...

Right. For a while i was thinking either the 13th or 20th of june. And lookimg at the 'pattern' the 13th might have been a slightly better guess, but gut instinct told me to instead place my bets on the 20th.

Logic can only get u so far.

Scottsdale: I know your mac5 theory, but wouldnt you say the air is more similar, component wise to the macbook, the mbp13, and the mini than the imac is?
It just seems more consistent to me that right now they seem to be rollon out all these updates of macs with similar 'portable' mac components.

UPDATE: Check headlines here. If they release an 11.6 inch MBA I'm buying two (depending on the video card, of course).

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I feel bad because I started this post looking for info because, at the time, I wanted a MacBook air for school. And although in the beginning people were answering it apporatly, that has since stopped and it has turned into one of those same old post talking about wheather or not it will even be updated or not and it stupid. Because if apple wants to update it they will. And we will never know until it happens. It has also proven to me that I should just get a MacBook or MacBook pro, instead of living my life on the obsessive hope of something that may not happen and something that no one knows about. Thanks everyone regardless. :apple:

noooo i was talking about my post. i wrote something but then it turned out i was wrong so i edited it and now it has no meaning so i was hoping a mod delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.