PDA

View Full Version : Emac on crack

Kareshnaka
Jul 14, 2010, 03:47 PM
I found an emac on the street, I took it home and plugged it in. It worked for about a month. then, when I turned it on it does not boot mac os. it just shows the apple symbol and a progress indicator and does not go further than that. I think the hard drive crashed. I can't re-install os x because, well, i don't have the install disks. I don't want to pay for tham either. I know there are linux OSes that can boot on an emac. any suggestions on whitch one to use?

FourCandles
Jul 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
Ubuntu seems to be popular.

Kareshnaka
Jul 14, 2010, 03:57 PM
I don't want to use ubuntu because power pc processors aren't supported any more.

disconap
Jul 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
There is community support and it's actually pretty stable (at least as of 9.04, haven't tried 10.04):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Otherwise, if you want to learn a bit about custom installs, I suggest Debian with a Blackbox shell. Lightweight and fast!

CubeHacker
Jul 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Try yellowdog, it has PPC support.

Hrududu
Jul 14, 2010, 05:54 PM
That progress bar typically means it booting into safe mode. Most likely because there is something wrong with the hard drive.

Kaji79
Jul 15, 2010, 07:06 PM
I run 9.04 ubu on my 1.25, and it runs swell. Just a heads up though when that happened to me I ended up with a crashed hdd.

Kareshnaka
Jul 20, 2010, 06:15 PM
I am going to use debian.

zmttoxics
Jul 21, 2010, 07:56 AM
If the harddrive took a dump, I would worry about replacing it more then which linux to install. Linux is free, so try them all I say! :p

Yellowdog has been doing it for a very very long time so I would think their PPC support is better then some of the other ones, but who knows.