Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kareshnaka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Tourian, California
I found an emac on the street, I took it home and plugged it in. It worked for about a month. then, when I turned it on it does not boot mac os. it just shows the apple symbol and a progress indicator and does not go further than that. I think the hard drive crashed. I can't re-install os x because, well, i don't have the install disks. I don't want to pay for tham either. I know there are linux OSes that can boot on an emac. any suggestions on whitch one to use?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
That progress bar typically means it booting into safe mode. Most likely because there is something wrong with the hard drive.

Kaji79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
I run 9.04 ubu on my 1.25, and it runs swell. Just a heads up though when that happened to me I ended up with a crashed hdd.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
If the harddrive took a dump, I would worry about replacing it more then which linux to install. Linux is free, so try them all I say! :p

Yellowdog has been doing it for a very very long time so I would think their PPC support is better then some of the other ones, but who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.