PDA

View Full Version : Tesco.com launches music service in the UK

MacBytes
Nov 9, 2004, 08:50 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Tesco.com launches music service in the UK (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041109095005)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Nov 9, 2004, 10:07 AM
Yet another 'giving customers choice' tag line...where is this coming from?

Consumers are making the choices, they like iPods, so that fact that there are a lot of music players out there with zilch market share doesn't influence these guys.

No Tesco is about making lots of money, and the reason there are no Apples in store, is they don't make enough money on them.

ps If I remember they tried Apple iMacs years ago and somebody didn't want them coming out of a food store!

Stella
Nov 9, 2004, 01:05 PM
I'm sure that if Tescos could support iPod they would. Apple aren't giving them the choice.

If tescos want to get into the online music business their only opportunity is to support wma. ( given that wma and AAC are the only formats which provide DRM).

Apple could clean up using fairplay and aac if they would only license fairplay.

Yet another 'giving customers choice' tag line...where is this coming from?

Consumers are making the choices, they like iPods, so that fact that there are a lot of music players out there with zilch market share doesn't influence these guys.

No Tesco is about making lots of money, and the reason there are no Apples in store, is they don't make enough money on them.

ps If I remember they tried Apple iMacs years ago and somebody didn't want them coming out of a food store!

nagromme
Nov 10, 2004, 05:03 AM
Apple will license when/if the time is right.

Meanwhile, you're right, other stores have no choice but to use WMA, or else arrange a deal with Apple, Real, or Sony--like Apple did with AOL. But I'm sure it's not easy to arrange that kind of partnership.

So expect lots of floundering WMA stores for the time being :)

wrldwzrd89
Nov 10, 2004, 05:53 AM
Apple will license when/if the time is right.

Meanwhile, you're right, other stores have no choice but to use WMA, or else arrange a deal with Apple, Real, or Sony--like Apple did with AOL. But I'm sure it's not easy to arrange that kind of partnership.

So expect lots of floundering WMA stores for the time being :)
My guess is that Apple doesn't see a company like Tesco as a good investment for them - or Apple just doesn't feel like being as open as Microsoft when it comes to DRM. I don't understand Apple's strategy very well, but I'm sure Apple has a good reason behind it. However, Apple does have several things going for them right now:
1. They have the most popular (by far) portable music player.
2. They have the best codec (AAC beats WMA hands down), and it'll get even better when Apple decides to introduce AAC+.
3. Their software is widely considered to be easy to use - easier than most, if not all, of Apple's competitors' software.

Loge
Nov 10, 2004, 07:53 AM
While Tesco may be ignoring Mac and iPod users for now, at least the Metro (a free daily paper in the UK) download service does now sell tracks in aac format that can play on the iPod.

http://www.metrotunes.co.uk/

However, it is only "select" tracks that are in aac (the rest are in windows media) and I have no idea what proportion of tracks that amounts to. But it is a promising sign if some of the content providers can be persuaded to relax their dependence on DRM like this.

As far as Tesco's site goes, the usage rights are not clearly set out (and less generous than iTMS), and worse, they vary by song.

Savage Henry
Nov 10, 2004, 08:19 AM
I don't understand Apple's strategy very well, but I'm sure Apple has a good reason behind it.

My guess on that one is control (SJ practically lives off the stuff) and positive association.

If you licence it out, any 2 bit company could run off their own stores. Apple's iPod associated with "MoronMusic.com" is not such a good thing, for if the store blows chunks, the iPod is used less. And a less used iPod will not bring so many over into buying the other high-margin Apple hardware products.

By controlling the only store that plays on the only (worthwhile) player in the world, Apple can gurantee the quality of the end to end product, and gain heaps of association into their other product lines.

I might be wrong (and chances of that are high!) but I don't think Apple will ever need to licence it out.