PDA

View Full Version : Searching forums/site

SilentPanda
Nov 9, 2004, 09:42 AM
It might be good to change the "Search Site" button in the upper right to say something like "Search News" or some such thing. I have a notion that it brings confusion to new people (and even to me on occassion) when they go to search the forums. It might eliminate a bit of the repeat postings. The "Search" for the forums is pretty small especially since the text box doesn't appear until you click the "Search" link.

Signed,
Your neighborhood Panda

rainman::|:|
Nov 9, 2004, 11:41 AM
I agree-- It's one thing to expect newbies to remember to search first; it's another to expect them to pick the harder-to-find of two searches. I still occasionally forget what I'm doing and pick the wrong one.

paul

wordmunger
Nov 9, 2004, 12:26 PM
How about just getting rid of the "search site" box when you're in the forums? If you're in the forums, you want to search the forums; if you're in Macrumors, you want to search Macrumors.

mkrishnan
Nov 9, 2004, 12:28 PM
How about just getting rid of the "search site" box when you're in the forums? If you're in the forums, you want to search the forums; if you're in Macrumors, you want to search Macrumors.

I totally make this mistake all the time... :) And then when you're in a thread, there are *three* separate search buttons -- search Macrumors, search forums, and search this thread...it'd be nice if there was just one and maybe a radio button next to it for what you want to search, like on Google search add-ins...

1) Macrumors
2) All Forums
3) This thread
4) Worldwide, baby! :cool:

tech4all
Nov 9, 2004, 04:24 PM
It might be good to change the "Search Site" button in the upper right to say something like "Search News" or some such thing. I have a notion that it brings confusion to new people (and even to me on occassion) when they go to search the forums. It might eliminate a bit of the repeat postings. The "Search" for the forums is pretty small especially since the text box doesn't appear until you click the "Search" link.

Signed,
Your neighborhood Panda

I had the exact same problem when I first started. I would do a search for something, and almost nothing relavant would come up as a result. I was like 'wow, MR search sucks'. But then I saw the "other" search thing..... :D

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 04:32 PM
I think its just fine. I've always found what I'm looking for.

SilentPanda
Nov 10, 2004, 08:48 AM
I think its just fine. I've always found what I'm looking for.

But it probably wouldn't hurt to change it to make it better right?

MacDawg
Nov 10, 2004, 09:13 AM
But it probably wouldn't hurt to change it to make it better right?

It is confusing, and could be more intuitive.

On a related note, the search function for the forums often gives me results that are less than stellar :rolleyes: I usually find what I'm looking for, but the results are puzzling. Maybe it is just me.

wordmunger
Nov 10, 2004, 10:31 AM
It is confusing, and could be more intuitive.

On a related note, the search function for the forums often gives me results that are less than stellar :rolleyes: I usually find what I'm looking for, but the results are puzzling. Maybe it is just me.
Ditto: there will be times when I enter search terms that I KNOW were in a post I wrote a few days ago, but I can't find it. Usually I have to just enter fewer keywords, then scroll through pages of results. I wonder if there's some syntax thing we're missing.

Josh
Nov 10, 2004, 11:14 AM
Honestly, I didnt even know "search site" was there until I saw this thread lol.

But I do agree that it shouldnt even be present when viewing the forums.

PlaceofDis
Nov 10, 2004, 12:45 PM
the search forums is obscure because its part of vbulliten, its not at the top of the page like it should be

ive found the best results when im looking for something specific using the advanced search, it lets you specify either thread title, or to seach all the threads, obviously if you a bit aware of what the thread was called its a bit easier to seach that way

i do think if we could move all the searched to the top of the page, with a drop down box for choosing what to search that would be benefical, but im not sure if vbulliten will allow this, or if its even possible

MacDawg
Nov 10, 2004, 12:55 PM
I don't think it is a showstopper, but would be nice.
Just changing the verbiage like SilentPanda suggested would be helpful and at least a start.

SilentPanda
Nov 10, 2004, 01:10 PM
I don't think it is a showstopper, but would be nice.
Just changing the verbiage like SilentPanda suggested would be helpful and at least a start.

Exactly. I realize that the forum is being run using a 3rd party program and I do not expect any of the mods, etc to reprogram that. I have no problems searching myself and on the occassion when I do search using the wrong area I realize it and move along. However I noticed other people are doing it (see here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=96202) for example) and I then looked at the button which people are clicking and saw how that could be very confusing if you've never been here before.

A change in the name of the button or a removal of it from the forum pages would be the quickest solution. I am under the impression since removing ads from the forum pages for paying members is quite the chore that also removing the site search from the forums would also be a chore.

I also think it would promote world peace and unity.

MacDawg
Nov 10, 2004, 01:16 PM
I also think it would promote world peace and unity.

WOW!!
I hope the mods take a look at it then!
LOL

SilentPanda
Nov 10, 2004, 01:28 PM
WOW!!
I hope the mods take a look at it then!
LOL

Are you mocking me? :mad:

I... am... soooooooo... ANGRY!

No more world peace or unity. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

mkrishnan
Nov 10, 2004, 03:26 PM
Are you mocking me? :mad:

I... am... soooooooo... ANGRY!

No more world peace or unity. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

And the really sad thing is, later on, when some newbie comes to the board and searches for Angry Pandas, they will use the wrong search tool and never find this thread. :(