PDA

View Full Version : The iMac G5 - no longer just a pretty toy

MacBytes
Nov 9, 2004, 11:57 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: The iMac G5 - no longer just a pretty toy (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041109125737)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

kiwi-in-uk
Nov 9, 2004, 05:02 PM
Good to see that somebody in S.E. Asia (arguably the most competitive market for Intel based PCs - given that most components and many complete systems are built there) appreciates some of what Apple is trying to acieve- at a premium price.

duce
Nov 9, 2004, 05:40 PM
Keep in mind these are Singapore $ not US$. Article is still biased to the PC side, but its better then the usual zealot trashing.

macridah
Nov 9, 2004, 06:17 PM
I agree a lot with what this guy says ... but i heard all of this months ago: more ram, wireless, bluetooth ...

But I would get the 20" instead of the 17". I think the writer made that decision based on cost.

nagromme
Nov 10, 2004, 04:56 AM
He seems to be saying that the 20" makes no sense, since for the same money you could get the 17" iMac plus an external 17" display.

What??? :confused:

Then there's the passing mention that Macs have little software... funny how that generally gets parroted in the abstract, rather then specifically listing things you "can't do" with a Mac. :rolleyes:

wrldwzrd89
Nov 10, 2004, 05:46 AM
I agree with the gist of the article, but some of its finer points I'm irked about. For example, Mac users like me know that Microsoft Word on the Mac is not a very good benchmark of performance, especially taken relative to a modern 3D game. A much better mark is Apple's own TextEdit (assuming you're marking word-processing software). I also don't understand the author's disdain for the 20 inch iMac. I like my 17 inch iMac very much; if I could, I'd snap up a 20 inch Mac in a heartbeat. I'm one of those people who could always use some more screen real estate.

gekko513
Nov 10, 2004, 10:23 AM
It is good that an obvious PC enthusiast is able to say something good about the iMac, but it is also obvious that even if he claims to be objective he isn't.

He gives a lot of opinions without saying why, he claims many things as fact without stating evidence or references.

It is also quite obvious that the so called review is based on his own preferences, like preferring two 17" displays over one 20" display.