PDA

View Full Version : iBook Clamshell for sale

m0rbid2696
Nov 9, 2004, 02:05 PM
i have a iBook G3. the first one but the second rev. it's 300MHz, 6 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, OS 9. i was thinking about selling it and saving up to hopefully buy an iMac G5 soon. i'll upgrade it to 128 mb ram and OS X if you want. i'm not sure how much to sell it for cuz i bought it a little over a year ago from a friend for about $600. everymac.com says the current estimated price for it is anywhere from $500-$600. i'm not expecting to get that price for it b/c it's not in mint condition. if your interested in buying, make me an offer and i'll get back to you.

**edit** the screen is is pretty good condition, the battery life is about 2.5-3 hrs depending, and no i do not have airport installed. unfortunately i do not have online feedback, haven't sold anything one ebay yet. only bought a book and a ps2 game. if i am not able to sell it here then i will most likely sell it on ebay. the price i am looking for is somwhere arround $300. pm if your interested

**edit** really buzy with school and stuff... i'll have some pics up by the end of the week.

Elan0204
Nov 9, 2004, 02:26 PM
EveryMac.com's estimated values are always higher than what the market will actually pay for a given computer, so unforunately it's not a good idea to set your asking price using their site. Apart from pricing, however, the site is an excellent resource.

I just did a quick check on eBay of completed auctions, and it looks like 300MHz iBooks are going for about $200-$300 depending on the condition of the screen, the amount of installed RAM, battery life, and whether or not an Airport Card is installed. I don't know most of the above with regards to your iBook, but given the small amount of RAM, I'm going to have to guess that your iBook would go at the lower end of that range. You should also know that people tend to pay more for things on eBay than they will in a person to persom forum sale.

Some things that would help me (and others) make you an offer on your iBook would be to answer some of the unknowns about your iBook I listed in the above paragraph (battery life, screen condition, airport card). It would also help if you told us if you have any online feedback (i.e eBay, heatware, etc.), and what forms of payment you will accept (PayPal, money order).

TLRedhawke
Nov 9, 2004, 02:39 PM
Spent too much money....must resist urge to buy Clamshell......really want it....but must resist......

mustangnc1
Nov 9, 2004, 03:38 PM
The best way to find market price is to do a search of completed listings on ebay for that item within the last 90 days. On ebay, in the past 90 days, it looks like machines with 300mhz G3 PB w/ 192MB and 384MB of RAM have been selling for about 230-240 bucks. I think you got screwed personally, if you paid $600 for it. I sold my R31 (IBM sThinkpad 1.13Ghz + 512MB) for $700 in June, just to give you some context.

sigamy
Nov 9, 2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah, hate to rain on your parade but that wasn't much of a friend. A year ago you could have gotten a first gen dual USB white iBook (500mhz G3) for around $600.

Your clamshell is worth $350 max.

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 03:56 PM
Heck if I had the money I'd buy it for $200 + shipping if you upgraded it to 128MB of RAM. My PB (read my siggy) is probably better than that iBook. If it doesn't sell, and you have a good price for it, I'd probably take it.

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 04:02 PM
Would you be willing to do a trade? I trade my Powerbook for that iBook clamshell? But you'd have to upgrade the RAM... wait... I dunno if thats a good deal... But could you load panther on it? If you'd do a trade, I'd think about it.

Wait could you load panther on it? Is it version SE?

Hemingray
Nov 9, 2004, 04:12 PM
Would you be willing to do a trade? I trade my Powerbook for that iBook clamshell? But you'd have to upgrade the RAM... wait... I dunno if thats a good deal... But could you load panther on it? If you'd do a trade, I'd think about it.

Wait could you load panther on it? Is it version SE?

Wait, you wanna trade a PowerBook for an iBook? :raises eyebrow:

This has got to be a G3 PowerBook you're talking about, right?

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 04:13 PM
Read my specs, I only want to trade (if it has 128MB of RAM) if it can load Panther on it. If it has the Firewire or is the SE edition. - Read my siggy for my laptop specs my PB G3.

TLRedhawke
Nov 9, 2004, 04:16 PM
300MHz iBook will NOT have firewire. The one with firewire were over 400MHz, if I'm not mistaken. You'd be a fool to trade your Powerbook for that Clamshell.

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 04:17 PM
Then I'm a fool for wanting Panther that bad, besides I could upgrade the RAM to .. 384 is the Max. And the hard drive, I could buy an external.

If you are willing to do a trade like that email me, I'll be at work all night to night from 4 to 10 and its 3:24 right now.

I just went to everymac.com and I guess its not worth it. Panther can only be loaded on to an SE and the iBook 300MHz was before the SE or that. So I guess I won't take it. Sorry :(.

TLRedhawke
Nov 9, 2004, 04:39 PM
Everymac has it wrong then. Only on-board USB is required for Panther, not firewire. On-board firewire will be required for Tiger. All iBooks have USB. Only the "Beige" PowerMac G3s, and Wallstreet PowerBooks were phased out in Panther.

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 04:42 PM
I posted in the WTT, that it requires an iBook SE for Panther. So yeah http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html there's the link again.

Elan0204
Nov 9, 2004, 05:06 PM
On-board firewire will be required for Tiger.

Would you mind telling me where you read that? I'm not doubting you, but I would like more information.

TLRedhawke
Nov 9, 2004, 08:31 PM
Oh, that little tidbit comes straight out of the "Read This First!" document from the WWDC Preview of Tiger (which I managed to get my hands on the first day of said WWDC). The preview itself would only actually boot on a PowerMac G5, but the document stated that on-board firewire was a requirement, as well as a DVD-ROM, because the preview was on a DVD. The DVD-ROM requirement seems as if it will fall by the wayside considering you can still get eMacs and iBooks with CD-ROMs (Educational), but the firewire requirement looks as if it's here to stay. That requirement will really only impact G3 iMacs, early iBooks, and the PowerBook G3 Lombard.

slooksterPSV
Nov 9, 2004, 11:52 PM
Well... how're you supposed to install it, because from another thread a lot of people are having trouble booting from different mediums with their G5's. Can anyone say firmware update needed?

maxterpiece
Nov 10, 2004, 12:41 AM
I had the SE Key Lime clamshell 466mhz w/ firewire, 10 gig HD, DVD, no airport, 128 mb RAM, but it had a pixel that stayed red, the connection where the power adapter plugged in was busted so that it wouldn't charge at all (i couldn't turn it on anymore), the cover to the dvd drive was broken and the battery only last about 15 minutes the last time i was able to charge it.

I got $570 for it on ebay about a year ago. Apparently this style (clamshell) has become a bit of a collectors item. They are the only apple laptops that had colors. That is why until very recently they still showed up in some movies. They are very original looking. My point is, people were willing to pay extra for it despite all its problems. I sold my brother's white ibook, 500mhz and in perfect working order with 2+ hours of battery life, for about the same price a few months later.

It might be worth your time and effort to sell it on ebay - just make sure you describe all problems and post plenty of pics.

slooksterPSV
Nov 10, 2004, 09:06 AM
Do you have pictures you could post of it?

TLRedhawke
Nov 10, 2004, 09:42 AM
We managed to boot Tiger with little issue on the 1.6GHz G5 at work, and installed it on a firewire drive. This was after having tried it on both an AluBook and a TiBook, which got only Kernel Panics. The technician later used the firewire drive to clone Tiger onto his TiBook, and he had very few problems with it.

Hemingray
Nov 10, 2004, 05:52 PM
Read my specs, I only want to trade (if it has 128MB of RAM) if it can load Panther on it. If it has the Firewire or is the SE edition. - Read my siggy for my laptop specs my PB G3.

Oh. It's in your sig. That would explain it! (I have sigs turned off.) My bad! :D

slooksterPSV
Nov 11, 2004, 10:17 AM
Yeah I was just reading that Apple.com requirements for Panther, I found out that yeah it does only have to have USB, they put iBook, SE bc, like you guys said, its the same thing, just different upgrades. And iBook, SE (Firewire) means the iBook came out with firewire, and so did SE. Thanx for your help on that.