PDA

View Full Version : iMac won't read DVD!

iLikeMySelf
Jul 15, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hello,
I just burnt a DVD with my Macbook Pro. Now when I inserted it into my white iMac it will make a noise like ( tik tik tik) and then eject it!!.
I tried rebooting, cleaning the DVD, inserting it into my macbook and then inserting it into my iMac and still it won't read it!
What can I do?
Thanks

MacTech68
Jul 15, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hello,
I just burnt a DVD with my Macbook Pro. Now when I inserted it into my white iMac it will make a noise like ( tik tik tik) and then eject it!!.
I tried rebooting, cleaning the DVD, inserting it into my macbook and then inserting it into my iMac and still it won't read it!
What can I do?
Thanks

Being so many iMac models, have you tried a Movie DVD in the iMac? Does that work? Do other "burnt" DVDs work in the iMac?

Is the DVD blank a DVD-R or DVD+R ?

iLikeMySelf
Jul 15, 2010, 01:27 PM
My iMac is the White Intel Core 2 Duo 17". And it does read all DVD but this one it won't for a reason, but the Macbook Pro reads it perfectly!

MacTech68
Jul 15, 2010, 01:59 PM
My iMac is the White Intel Core 2 Duo 17". And it does read all DVD but this one it won't for a reason, but the Macbook Pro reads it perfectly!

OK, what brand is the DVD blank? Does the iMac spit out a blank of this media if inserted?

Try comparing the manufacturer of the blank media with this tool (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.mac.com%2Fraktajino%2Fdvdmediainspector%2Fdvdmediainspector.html&langpair=ja|en).

Some cheap brand media will vary the manufacturer from batch to batch.

EDIT: try burning the disc again. Sounds odd but I have to do this on rare occasions with my DVD Player, and yet the Mac has no trouble. The second burn works fine in the DVD Player.

iLikeMySelf
Jul 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
can I burn the DVD multiple times?
The brand is Imation, it might not exist in your country

MacTech68
Jul 16, 2010, 04:10 AM
can I burn the DVD multiple times?
The brand is Imation, it might not exist in your country

They do exist here. Did you use the tool to check the manufacturer.

Like I said, the brand of the disk may not be the real maker. Try comparing different batches using the tool I linked to.

That aside, yes, you can burn the disk again.

Kieranic
Jul 16, 2010, 06:53 AM
If it's a DVD RW, you can erase and rewrite the contents to the disc.

Just re-burn the disc and it'll probably turn out fine. Disc burning screws up for everyone every once in a while.

MacTech68
Jul 16, 2010, 06:58 AM
If it's a DVD RW, you can erase and rewrite the contents to the disc.

Just re-burn the disc and it'll probably turn out fine. Disc burning screws up for everyone every once in a while.

Thanks for picking that one up, Kieranic. My bad. I thought the query was odd. :)