PDA

View Full Version : iBook for cube?

rhpenguin
Nov 9, 2004, 04:30 PM
Ive got the opportunity to ditch my ailing iBook (i think the logicboard is failing again after a recent replacement, which would make it the 3rd failed logic board and im starting to get fed up with failire.) and pick up a 450MHz Cube. Its completely stock, but if you were in my situation and had a chronically failing iBook, would you trade it for the cube? The specs for my iBook are in my sig.

Crikey
Nov 9, 2004, 07:19 PM
If I had an iBook with chronic issues, I would trade it in a second for a Cube. Even a relatively kick-ass (can I say that here? Steve Jobs said it in a keynote once . . .) iBook like yours -- because a computer that works is worth more to me than one that doesn't or soon won't. I'm a sap, though, so I'd feel duty bound to explain the chronic G3 iBook issues to the other party before finalizing the deal. In my view, someone would have to be crazy to trade you a Cube (if it's reliable) for an iBook of the afflicted type.

Good luck! Let's hope they're off their meds . . .

Crikey

rhpenguin
Nov 9, 2004, 07:56 PM
Well, its not a person that would be taking my iBook, its a store. So once i were to drop it off and walk out the store, its no logner my issue that the G3 iBook will fail. So I would be left with a clean concience and a working computer.

But i would be loosing mobility and have to upgrade the cube to bring it up to snuff... Thats where im having the problem deciding.

Elan0204
Nov 9, 2004, 08:00 PM
Someone in the Marketplace is selling an iBook G4 they got as a free replacement from Apple, after they had to send in their iBook G3 for four replacement logic boards. If Apple will take care of you if/when your logic board fails, why not just keep the iBook?

Of course, your milage in convincing Apple Canada that they should give you a whole new iBook may vary.

TLRedhawke
Nov 9, 2004, 08:24 PM
It's not that hard to convince Apple to replace machines outright. If you've replaced key components 3 times, they seem to be willing to do it if you just complain for a while. G3 iBooks are prevalent for this sort of occurrence. One of the employees at work is getting his Rev A 15" AluBook replaced with a shiny new 1.5GHz because the LCD died within a week of purchase, and the logic board (or parts of it) have failed twice. It seems that the machine still functioned, but ports would cease to work. He even put in some extra money to do upgrades on it.

As for trading it for the Cube, not a bad deal. G3 laptop for a G4 desktop. Don't listen to those naysayers who insist that clockspeed is more important than vector processing, especially in OS X. I have a Cube, and though she's getting a new logic board (it was problematic from the start, hence why I got it so cheap), she's a gorgeous machine nonetheless. As for the ethical issue of giving it to the store, and washing your hands of it, you really ought to tell them that the logic board is going to go, that it will be covered under the replacement plan, and how many times it has failed in the past. Knowing that, they may be able to get a G4 iBook out of the deal.

rhpenguin
Nov 9, 2004, 08:34 PM
Ive contacted Apple Canada's Customer Relations about my iBook and they don't seem to want to do anthing about it. They just keep wanting to throw parts at it and the long distance phone calls to my casemanager in Toronto is getting expensive so this is why im considering this route (Also im having to pay out of pocket to have an Apple certified tech look at the machine so Apple Corporate can tell me that theyre not going to do anything for me).

The place where i would be dumping this notebook on is the same place that sold it to me and has done all the services to it, so theyre well aware of this machines history (one failed HDD, one broken CD-ROM, two logic boards and a third one thats showing wierd signs of failure (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@51.Ec1ea5NgBSy.2@.689e4eff), however intermitent and not quite like that guys problem...).

dobbin
Nov 11, 2004, 09:01 AM
well I have just done the opposite and sold my stock cube to get a new 1.2GHz 12" ibook. Both are superb machines. I'd say the cube is still the nicest, but I really wanted a laptop and something a bit quicker that a 450Mhz G4 so I did the switch and I'm glad I did.

In your position, if I didn't need the mobility of the iBook I would trade in an instant, especially if the book is a G3 and is about to die!!

abc123
Nov 11, 2004, 10:05 AM
i'd get onto apple first and try your hardest to get a new laptop, three failures is not acceptable at all. especially in a laptop which is usually bought so that you can always have a computer at your fingertips.

if that fails, go for the cube. i've wanted one since i first layed eyes on them. they really are the more aesthetically pleasing computers i've ever seen.

russed
Nov 11, 2004, 10:33 AM
mmmmm... cube

enough said!

jerolife
Nov 12, 2004, 08:26 PM
I have a G4 Cube and I need to be mobile so I am looking for anyone who wants to trade an ibook for my cube ;)

5300cs
Nov 13, 2004, 04:10 AM
Ive contacted Apple Canada's Customer Relations about my iBook and they don't seem to want to do anthing about it. They just keep wanting to throw parts at it ...

You've done your part- get the Cube. I wouldn't feel bad about dumping the iBook at all. It's Apple's fault for putting those crappy logic boards in there to begin with, if I were you I wouldn't bother chasing them down everytime it breaks. I have the same model in fact, and have been thinking about pawning it off on someone via online auction.