PDA

View Full Version : Which monitor?

Mac2006
Aug 16, 2002, 03:47 PM
i cant decide anymore after reading from the other post if i should get two 17" Apple Studio Display or get one 22"Apple Cinema HD Display?

Rower_CPU
Aug 16, 2002, 04:06 PM
I say 2 17" for two reasons:

1) $500 less

2) 34" of screen vs 22"

Granted the resolution on the 17" is only 1280x1024 and the 22" is 1600x1024, but the two 17" have a combined of 2560x1024.:eek: :D

atomwork
Aug 16, 2002, 04:14 PM
I love my 22". You should think about what you really want. For me it was important not to have anymore 2 screens to look at. So the 22 servers me well. I have no problem with the apps and their windows. Lots of space and it floots gigantic on the desktop. I use the graphic apps a lot and feel that this monitor is great. See, a good reason not to have 2 17" is that you rather later add a CTR monitor for optimal color corrections.

If you have the money then go for the 23 inch. They fixed the color problem that accurs slightly on all flat screens.

But thats my opinion. I could be wrong.

Cheers,
D

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
1) $500 less
2) 34" of screen vs 22"
Granted the resolution on the 17" is only 1280x1024 and the 22" is 1600x1024, but the two 17" have a combined of 2560x1024.:eek: :D

Funny...this is quite possibly the same reasons I posted in the other thread when Mac2006 asked the question...

Ah well. You know my preference;)

Go to the apple store near your area. Do you like the resolution of the 15" iMac, or the new 17" iMac? Analogy: 15" is like the 22" and the 17" is like, well the 17".

Remember that you'll get 60% more screen space (resolution-wise) and over 25% more actual screen real estate. And its cheaper to operate. So unless TV is a big thing, I'd just buy the 2 17" moniters and with the money you save, by a nice $500 TV.

But hey, if TV and room space is important, get the 22";)

Chaszmyr
Aug 16, 2002, 06:40 PM
I have a 22'' cinema display. Let me tell you the quality IS better than the 17'' which my friend has. Also, dual monitor can be kind of a pain sometimes, even though its more workspace

funkywhat2
Aug 16, 2002, 08:19 PM
everyone needs help sometimes, don;t hassle the guy. maybe he isn't paying, maybe its a coroprate thing, like a budget to blow.

[Moderator's note, the offensive posts referred to in this post have been removed]

vniow
Aug 16, 2002, 08:26 PM
Ummm, he's 15. Look under his Superdrive Powermac post.
I don't think he's actually going to get all of these things, I think he's just a curious kid that'a asking for advice as if he were. In any case, the info that the other Macrumors members are giving him is quite useful for those seriously looking into those things. :)

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by edvniow
Ummm, he's 15. :)

Damn...15? You're askin' a lot of question for a kid in high-school..especially when you can't pay for them. He's just looking for his dream setup huh? Check out the thread in the General Discussions...your comp setup. Just look at the picture I posted (WHICH IS NOT MY COMPUTER SETUP)...those people scare me. They're the ones with the money.

Mr Jobs
Aug 16, 2002, 08:59 PM
kids these days:o

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 16, 2002, 09:17 PM
Lay off the 15 yr. old, guys. He's referring to my original question on one of the threads.

As for the money thing, it's not about having lots of money but if you've been saving...In my case, I haven't bought a powermac since '96. I bought the Dual USB iBook last year and now I want a desktop system again. I'll probably be getting the new Dual 1Ghz system with 1 Gig of Ram and now the flat screen....(2)17"s or a 22...

There's a lot of good recommendations and what not and they all seem to justify each other.

Current state of mind boggle....

two 17"-get more screen real estate & save $400

22"-widescreen and it would look great watching tv on that sucker! (might as well start on that Digital Hub theory)

I still haven't got my decision.

BTW...I'll be using it a lot for Photoshop, FCP, and of course the internet....

funkywhat2
Aug 16, 2002, 10:21 PM
i'm only 15, and i almost had a corporate budget this summer, if only i could have passd the a+ test.

the job was guarnteeded too.

daveg5
Aug 16, 2002, 10:48 PM
if Desk space is important and you dont like cords od moving your head from side to side get the 22" as it has an excellant reputation and will keep your desk clean and has good resale value try finding a used one under $1700.
However If like me you like fast moving games the best color and changing resolutions alot get a 21" FD Sony trinitron 2048*1536 at 85HZ and a 17" Apple Display and its cheaper and you can have the best of both worlds but no desk space savings but no adapter needed.
My HP branded fd trinitron {refurbish cost me $300} no dead pixels ever just the trinitron lines very accurate colors and every resolution looks great with my video card something you cant say for lcds but it is big and not so attractive.
Savings$1200-$1700: res3328x1536

bousozoku
Aug 17, 2002, 01:17 AM
You people should have more respect for someone who's 15, especially since he isn't creating problems for you. I can't imagine that you would garner much respect from your comments here.

You'll find that many of the 13-18 y.o. crowd here understand the technical issues quite well...better than some of the so-called adult experts.

Be nice...it's pleasant. Okay, I'm through ranting. :D

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2002, 02:44 PM
I think us young'ns deserve a little respect, too. People under 18 buy computers too, and some of us even buy top of the line machines. This guy may actually have $2500 to blow on a monitor, so please entertain his question. Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on a monitor.

My suggestion: go with the Dual 17s and save $350 with more screen real estate.

topicolo
Aug 17, 2002, 02:58 PM
At that age, the worst thing to be buying is top of the line equipment. If you got a powermac + cinema display you'd be spending like 80-100% of your income (unless your parents are really rich and pay for everything) and that's not the best thing to do with the money. Like I said a couple of times before, the best way to spend that cash is to save and invest it. Let it grow and work for you, instead of working for it. I'm 21 and I'm quite a bit richer than most people my age since I started investing when I was 16.

AlphaTech
Aug 17, 2002, 02:58 PM
A more economical option would be to go with a pair of Non-Apple branded LCD's. You can get more then 17" LCD's from ViewSonic for <$1000 each. I'm fairly certain that they are selling 18" LCD's for under a grand. Just get the ADC to VGA extractor/adapter and DVI to VGA adapter (both, combined, are cheaper then getting a DVIator).