PDA

View Full Version : iBooks first impression: - Terrible

Callum
Jul 16, 2010, 03:07 AM
Does anyone else think that the selection of books is ridiculously bad? I tried searching 'Lee Child' - came up with nothing. Ok, maybe he's an obscure author in America. I then tried searching popular books - Harry Potter, Dan Brown, the Twilight series. Nothing. What the hell?

shadowness
Jul 16, 2010, 04:21 AM
Harry potter is still old school! No official ebook or digital edition! JK Rowling is totally against Harry potter series coming as ebooks!

cubist
Jul 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
... is glacially slow. Opening a 50-page PDF file takes several minutes to get to the first page. I have no interest in the eBooks myself (because I can get a paper book for roughly the same price), but Winnie the Pooh isn't any faster, taking at least three minutes to open it.

I was hoping to put various small PDFs (fair flyers, technical manuals) on the device and read them remotely, but the performance is so extremely poor I don't think it's usable. I assume it must be much better on the iPad or iPhone 4?

NogbadTheBad
Jul 16, 2010, 09:12 AM
An iPhone / iTouch isn't an iPad it's sort of pointless trying to compare iBooks on both devices.

I've downloaded a few Ian Rankin books and I'm getting on with iBooks fine, however I think the cost for ebooks is a little steep.

uraniumwilly
Jul 16, 2010, 03:45 PM
It is bad but. My wife gave up after buying a couple books and not finding some. But having several thousand dollars worth of gutenberg classic literature makes up for it, IMO.

trsnrtr
Jul 16, 2010, 05:25 PM
An iPhone / iTouch isn't an iPad it's sort of pointless trying to compare iBooks on both devices.

I've downloaded a few Ian Rankin books and I'm getting on with iBooks fine, however I think the cost for ebooks is a little steep.

I read books on both my iPad and my Touch and enjoy both. As for price, I couldn't agree more.

shellbryson
Jul 16, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sort of off-topic, but I was talking with a novelist this morning. She was cooing over my iPad, undecided whether reading books on it was a good or bad idea. Something about the tactile experience of reading a physical book, and will they go the way of physical CDs? Anyway, she told me generally authors make a whole 25p (about 40 cents) per 10 novel sold. An author really needs to shift a LOT of novels to make any money at all (unless, I guess, you are a J K Rowling or Ian Rankin and can negotiate good rates AND sell lots).

I really hope that iBooks/Kindle and other digital distribution formats can actually mean a little more money for the writer, and not just the publisher, printers etc.

full disclosure: I'm a wannabe novelist.

btrav13
Jul 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
I read books on both my iPad and my Touch and enjoy both. As for price, I couldn't agree more.

I think with the multiple options for purchase....B&N, Kindle App, iBooks...that prices will come down due to competition. At least that's my hope. Because I had assumed that with e-delivery and cost reduction, they would have been cheaper from the jump, but it doesn't appear so.

Lyle
Jul 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
Agreeing with the OP, my experience so far has been that the iBooks store selection is pretty limited as compared to Amazon's, so most of my (paid-for) eBooks still come in via Kindle. I do like that the iBook app added support for PDF viewing, however, since a lot of the free documents/books that I want to read are in PDF format (and the presentation's better IMO than it is in, say, ReaddleDocs or GoodReader).