PDA

View Full Version : Body modification, this guy is out there

Shivetya
Jul 16, 2010, 05:32 AM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0714101horns1.html

I wonder what gets into to people that they would do this to themselves. How do you even get a job looking like this?

Dagless
Jul 16, 2010, 05:54 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0714101horns1.jpg
That's horrendous.

RedTomato
Jul 16, 2010, 06:47 AM
Several companies I've worked at, if this guy knew his stuff and was able to do the job well, they'd give him a position no problem.

Considering the amount of anti-racist education out there, that we've all learnt to grow up and not judge people in the corporate world by their skin colour, race, creed, sexuality, or disability, it saddens me to see how many people just reject someone on the basis of how they look.

What would you do if faced with someone highly skilled, maybe more skilled than you, who just happens to look different? How is slagging this guy off different to being racist?

Queso
Jul 16, 2010, 07:13 AM
I think that looks quite cool TBH. Wouldn't do it to myself, but each to their own eh?

And speaking as a business owner I'd quite happily hire him if he were articulate and possessed the knowledge my customers need.

mags631
Jul 16, 2010, 07:29 AM
Several companies I've worked at, if this guy knew his stuff and was able to do the job well, they'd give him a position no problem.

Considering the amount of anti-racist education out there, that we've all learnt to grow up and not judge people in the corporate world by their skin colour, race, creed, sexuality, or disability, it saddens me to see how many people just reject someone on the basis of how they look.

What would you do if faced with someone highly skilled, maybe more skilled than you, who just happens to look different? How is slagging this guy off different to being racist?

Right, but this guy is choosing to look like a demon, which in most cultures (at least Western ones and the one that he lives in) is supposed to be evil. Evil is the opposite of Good. So no, I wouldn't hire someone who is outwardly telling me that they believe in Evil: lying, deceit, hurting others, ...

dXTC
Jul 16, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'm all for basing judgment more on skills and character than appearance in a hiring/business situation. However, in case some of you didn't notice, this photo is from The Smoking Gun, known for its weekly roundups of bizarre mugshots. Yes, that's right, this is a crime booking photo.

Before you hire that quirky yet articulate and knowledgeable fellow-- or before you hire that slickly groomed, suave Ivy League grad-- do a background check.

Queso
Jul 16, 2010, 07:34 AM
Right, but this guy is choosing to look like a demon, which in most cultures (at least Western ones and the one that he lives in) is supposed to be evil. Evil is the opposite of Good. So no, I wouldn't hire someone who is outwardly telling me that they believe in Evil: lying, deceit, hurting others, ...
He's choosing to look reptilian rather than demonic as I see it. Nothing evil about an iguana.

RedTomato
Jul 16, 2010, 08:08 AM

Are you being sarcastic? That's like something a 5 year old would say. Even my own 5 year old daughter would call that a little simplistic. She loves spiders and snakes and beetles, even if they 'look creepy crawly'.

this guy is choosing to look like a demonPerhaps you mean daemon? Daemons are helpful little background processes that run around in most UNIX systems, including your own mac, and do all sorts of useful little things behind the scenes - on startup, when logging in, printing etc.

Likewise there's more people who look like him than you think, doing all sorts of useful things behind the scenes. I'd rather trust the contents of my wallet to someone who looks like him (smoking gun website or not) than the board of trustees/ CEO of a bank or BP. Look what they've done to us all.

niuniu
Jul 16, 2010, 08:15 AM
A lot of the times it just ends up looking nasty - or a mess. But this is really professionally done. I think the eyebrows especially look wicked! I like that it's symmetrical as well which really helps with bodywork- it's more pleasing to the eye.

Abstract
Jul 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
Why is an earring more acceptable than one in the region between his eyes?

If I saw that guy, I'd probably do a double-, triple-, or quadruple-take and be a bit nervous for like......a few minutes. Then I'd tell myself to get over it and act like an adult. If he's a creep or someone I don't like, I'll find out by talking to him. There are lots of people who I don't like, and it's not because of the jewellery, or lack of.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be a bit rude at first meeting. I'd be startled at first because I'm not used to all of "that", but again, I'd get over it.

Queso
Jul 16, 2010, 08:40 AM
I'd probably break out in a big grin, then if he didn't punch me for doing that go over and talk to the guy. Those poppers under the horns must be to attach something. Just from the photo I'm intrigued to find out what :)

RedTomato
Jul 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
I've had drinks in the pub with people who look far more wierd and messed up than him. The first 5 minutes were difficult, then you just tune it out and start focussing on the person. Just like talking to someone with a very obvious disability. Next you'll be saying don't hire disabled people.

I grew up in an almost completely white town, with 1 single black person and one single asian man out of 20,000 white people. Everyone knew them. I didn't know the black guys name, but the asian guy was called Indian Billy. Yeah I know.

When I moved to the city and started working with people of different colours, it was hard at first as it was new to me, but you know, I adjusted. Had a black partner for a while and all that. So can you.

Rt&Dzine
Jul 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
It's frivolous like much of the cosmetic surgery that's done these days. But if that's how you want to spend your time and money . . .

iowamensan
Jul 16, 2010, 09:42 AM

The biggest difference is that being of a different race is something that one cannot control, so being treated differently because of that is unfair. This guy is going out of his way to look like a freaktard, so he can't cry foul if people treat him like the douchenozzle he appears to be.

garybUK
Jul 16, 2010, 10:02 AM
i dont see any difference between this chap and say someone like michael jackson or the raft of celebs that have cosmetic surgery. id have thought we as a race arent that shallow anymore. at least hes not a lemming

ucfgrad93
Jul 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
Wow, just wow.:eek: If I was a business owner, no way would I hire him.

Queso
Jul 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
The biggest difference is that being of a different race is something that one cannot control, so being treated differently because of that is unfair. This guy is going out of his way to look like a freaktard, so he can't cry foul if people treat him like the douchenozzle he appears to be.
You appear to live in a very very sheltered part of the planet. He doesn't look like either a "freaktard" or a "douchenozzle". More than anything he looks like someone who works in a tattoo parlour.

But I reserve judgement as to what he does for a living. For all we know he's an Internet millionaire.

anjinha
Jul 16, 2010, 10:51 AM
EEP!! :eek:

niuniu
Jul 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
Wow, just wow.:eek: If I was a business owner, no way would I hire him.

I am a (small) business owner, and I would hire him, but not for customer facing work - he could do content management, accounts etc- back office work. Can do customer service, procurement, b2b over the phone.. lots of jobs he can do.

But I'm sure a guy like that wouldn't want to do something boring. He probably has his own business doing tats or piercings etc and has a decent income from that and no stress either I'd imagine.

Loosen up, don't be a

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/1/1c/Square.gif

:D

Dagless
Jul 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
The very fact that he tried to kill someone - I wouldn't hire him.

I made a game once that celebrated Satan (in a way), I might have hired him for PR work :D.

jr24
Jul 16, 2010, 07:54 PM
that is incredibly mild compared to people like the cat man.

cdcastillo
Jul 17, 2010, 04:44 AM
... How do you even get a job looking like this?

Maybe in the states this would be difficult, but do not assume it is so in the whole world. I know some guys in my hospital that look almost (I mean, similar but without the horns) like him, and they do their work like any other.

Aren't you a little prejudiced? But then again, aren't we all? Just for different aspects, but we all are.

That-Is-Bull
Jul 17, 2010, 10:10 PM

Those are things you're born with. This guy did all this stupid **** to himself by choice.

Decisions speak. Race and sexual orientation mean nothing because they're not decisions.

GSMiller
Jul 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
They left out the best part in that article (aside from the picture)...

He was driving a 1996 Ford Windstar (http://gawker.com/5587507/horned-man-attempts-to-murder-landlord-with-minivan)

Shotgun OS
Jul 18, 2010, 03:24 PM
Aside from the fact that he tried to kill someone, this guy doesn't look bad at all. A bit odd, but I've seen far worse.

Mac Kiwi
Jul 19, 2010, 05:56 AM
He looks like a game character turned out of Mudbox or Zbrush to me....but hey everyone to their own.

Those modifications would definitely be targeted in a brawl mind you.

whooleytoo
Jul 19, 2010, 07:39 AM

Would you hire someone who turned up to an interview naked? Or a guy wearing a dress? Or perhaps wearing a Nazi uniform? Do you think those people should be able to work in such attire, in any job?

There's no such thing as 100% tolerant - everyone has their own personal idea of what's acceptable and unacceptable.

The posts above are correct - he's not being judged so much because of how he looks, but because he's made the choice to reject the "norms" of society in making himself look that way. I'm not saying that's "right" or "wrong", just that's the way it is.

Queso
Jul 19, 2010, 07:46 AM
Would you hire someone who turned up to an interview naked? Or a guy wearing a dress? Or perhaps wearing a Nazi uniform? Do you think those people should be able to work in such attire, in any job?
It depends very much on what job I was interviewing for. For instance, wearing a Nazi uniform to an interview would be perfectly acceptable....for a Hermann Goering kiss-a-gram.

As for guys wearing dresses if that went against people half of Scotland would be unemployed ;)

Hawkeye411
Jul 19, 2010, 07:49 AM
And he used to be such a NICE boy!!! LOL :D

dXTC
Jul 19, 2010, 11:21 AM
that is incredibly mild compared to people like the cat man.

You mean this guy?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/35853834_dba9b1ed67.jpg

For those who are wondering: Yes, he sometimes replaces those individual studs in his upper lip with artificial "whiskers", resulting in... this.

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/catman_m_aitchison.jpg

I don't think Cat Man has tried to kill anyone, though, so that's a plus.

MattSepeta
Jul 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
If cat man and that demon man were competing for a position, I would hire cat man, simply because he is quite obviously a very motivated person. Look at how well he has done in becoming a cat!

Awesome.

lbro
Jul 23, 2010, 01:39 AM
Wow I wonder why people would do stuff like that to themselves, a few tattoos looks good if they're done right but getting horns and all that other stuff seems pretty crazy to me.

Hamsterz
Jul 23, 2010, 03:12 PM
I live in oklahoma. Theres a bunch of people like this.

Anyways, I most likely would not hire him, because if I ever actually hired someone in my own state, I'd be pretty shocked. Since I'd move out long before I'd hire anyone.

Oh yeah, and Catman is awesome, I'd hire him even if he fails.

ucfgrad93
Jul 23, 2010, 04:02 PM
Loosen up, don't be a

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/1/1c/Square.gif

:D

Haven't you heard, it's hip to be square (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg&feature=avmsc2)?:D

steve knight
Jul 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
better to hire a religious person who does the same thing behind your back?

Acorn
Jul 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
most of his mods can be undone and hidden. the scarification on his head and face can be mostly hidden by growing hair out. the jewelry can be removed and eyebrows grown in. horns can be removed. it wont look perfect but its not outrages. he would have mostly a neck tattoo if he tried to cover most of it when he got older. like say age 65, where that may not look right.

cat man had surgery to his face lips and cheeks. as well and had his teeth grinded down. thats pretty hardcore. it would take alot to go back.

i believe there is a lizard guy too. he has the forked tongue and full body tat. not sure if he got horns

xlii
Jul 23, 2010, 05:39 PM
And he used to be such a NICE boy!!! LOL :D

BUT... he's good to his Mother...

That-Is-Bull
Jul 23, 2010, 06:15 PM
i believe there is a lizard guy too.

You mean this guy?

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/52775634.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD9B18C92D7463D036D006E1DE7A23BCBDBB8D00227B7CB83FF06BF04B24B4128C

lbro
Jul 23, 2010, 07:21 PM
This is lizard man

steve2112
Jul 23, 2010, 07:36 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever want to be something like squirrel man? Or badger man? Or even platypus man?

jyj
Jul 23, 2010, 10:30 PM
besides the whole trying to kill someone thing...he's kinda cute! though, i've never been very much into implants...

Dagless
Jul 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
better to hire a religious person who does the same thing behind your back?

Then he/she isn't a religious person.

steve knight
Jul 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
Then he/she isn't a religious person.

Haha just because some one is religious does not make them a good person. Just look at the post I made about the fundies that would let their children die because they won't go to the doctor.

R94N
Jul 25, 2010, 08:31 AM
They left out the best part in that article (aside from the picture)...

He was driving a 1996 Ford Windstar (http://gawker.com/5587507/horned-man-attempts-to-murder-landlord-with-minivan)

Lol, must be a family man then. Or a weirdo. In fact, I don't want to judge.

Tomorrow
Jul 25, 2010, 01:28 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever want to be something like squirrel man? Or badger man? Or even platypus man?

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=9065250

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 26, 2010, 11:59 AM
At one point back in the 90's I had a Queue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queue_%28hairstyle%29) and people were really cool with it at the university that I worked at. My wife loved it and it was quite long. About a foot and a half. It was rather on the skinny side. I didn't do beads or anything...

So, I show up for an interview for a job and it's one of those places that look like the typical newspaper office. The cubies in the center and the glass walled offices around the sides for the 'head cheeses'. Anyway, I show up in my pinstripe suit and tie and radiant shined shoes. Early, made up to the nines. Even had clean underwear on... And so I check in with the receptionist and everything is going great until I turn around to sit down. The receptionist ducks out of her room which was like an entryway to the glass aquarium and shows up with a few of the women from the fish bowl who are looking at me through the glass sliding window. They are talking rather hurriedly and hushed. Not thinking much of it, I sit and wait.

I am finally called in to the interview. I walk through the receptionists office into the fishbowl and just about everyone in the place is staring at me. I AM the most dressed up person there and figure that's it. A few people start making gestures to the backs of their heads and a few folks are laughing. Undaunted, I sit through the interview. It's a rather quick interview too. Apparently they didn't have room for someone who is capable and productive unless they meet the conditions of their standards, and I obviously didn't.

A few years later I found out they went out of business. I can only imagine why. The snipers that were firing at me as I walked through the place were so juvenile and petty, I wouldn't have wanted to work their anyway. I'm sure that if they treated their clients and customers that way, it's a wonder they held out that long... And I would actually lay cold hard cash on the table that none of those *******s ever realized that THEY killed their business and it was THEIR actions and petty BS that slit their own throats...

Funny what jerks people can be... And I was the problem. It wasn't their stupid hangups...

steve2112
Jul 26, 2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=9065250

I love Perry. He's one of my favorite characters from that show. He is what made me think of platypus man. :D

Dagless
Jul 26, 2010, 06:30 PM
Haha just because some one is religious does not make them a good person. Just look at the post I made about the fundies that would let their children die because they won't go to the doctor.

Fundamentalists though.

KeriJane
Jul 26, 2010, 09:58 PM
My Goodness! :confused:

He's Darth Maul from Star Wars!

Or at least that's my impression.

Cat Man And Lizard Man are pretty far out too.... How does LM talk with that forked tongue? And CM's teeth! What on Earth does he sound like?

I'm from Chicago and I've seen some far out piercings and far out ear mods... even vampyre-modded teeth... but...

Wow.

I'll bet none of them gets strangers saying: "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Have Fun,
Keri

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 29, 2010, 08:22 AM

There's no such thing as 100% tolerant - everyone has their own personal idea of what's acceptable and unacceptable.

The posts above are correct - he's not being judged so much because of how he looks, but because he's made the choice to reject the "norms" of society in making himself look that way. I'm not saying that's "right" or "wrong", just that's the way it is.

A guy in a dress is a very different issue depending on the laws in your area.... Transgendered folks can be a protected status... Just surprises me that some would accept a woman showing up in a mans suit... But not a guy in a dress....

Having been in the hiring position before... You choose the best place for those that you hire and how they will fit.

Will say that with this guy I would do what I have done in the past, and that is to have him interview with the group he might end up working with. For me I want everyone to be comfortable working together.

matthewjacob
Jul 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Are you being sarcastic? That's like something a 5 year old would say. Even my own 5 year old daughter would call that a little simplistic.

Yeah. There's really no logic to your response. "That's something a 5 year old would say" isn't really making a point. It has nothing to do with the argument.

Then you go on about how smart your 5 year old is. I don't know weather you're insulting mags631 or insulting your 5 year old daughter. According to you being compared to a 5 year old is a negative.

And it sounds like your daughter's response is your assumption.

I'd rather trust the contents of my wallet to someone who looks like him (smoking gun website or not) than the board of trustees/ CEO of a bank or BP. Look what they've done to us all.

BP / Banks have nothing to do with this guy. Absolutely nothing. But I'll humor you:

So I take it you don't keep money in a bank, don't have a credit card, you probably also don't have a mortgage payment, don't own a house, and don't own stock.

And you'd trust your wallet to someone who's attempted vehicular manslaughter.

You are one smart guy.

He's choosing to look reptilian rather than demonic as I see it. Nothing evil about an iguana.

Only a small few iguana's have horns. On their snout. Nice try though.