PDA

View Full Version : Video on an iPod (kind-of...)

MacBytes
Nov 10, 2004, 08:10 AM
Category: Tips and How To\'s
Link: Video on an iPod (kind-of...) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041110091022)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Nov 10, 2004, 08:21 AM
That's pretty funny... iPod "flip books" might have occasional actual uses... and the iPod really DOES browse photos that fast, I tried one at CompUSA... but adding sound by hand, well, what can I say :D

But why not? People use iPods to run Linux, and as universal IR remotes, even as laser pointers. Why? Because it's there.

shamino
Nov 10, 2004, 09:50 AM
Nifty.

Using a modification of this technique, I think you should be able to get a streaming movie (no need to keep spinning the wheel) in exchange for a lower frame rate:

Export your movie at 1 frame per second
Pull them all into an iPhoto album
Make a slide show using the movie soundtrack and that album. Turn off all transitions.
Import into the iPod
Play slide show on the iPod

Unfortunately, I don't think the iPhoto slide show facility allows a frame rate faster than 1 frame per second.

If anyone tries this, please post something letting us know if/how well it works.

skymaXimus
Nov 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
Like they couldn't have turned off the clicking? How annoying is that?

backspinner
Nov 10, 2004, 10:22 AM
Very cool indeed!

Mainyehc
Nov 10, 2004, 10:25 AM
Like they couldn't have turned off the clicking? How annoying is that?

What's wrong with the clicking? Sure, it's annoying, but it brings back that old-school projector like sound :D

jchen
Nov 10, 2004, 11:17 AM
Create a bunch of white and black screen photos (totally white, totally black) then string them together in alternating sequence, say, 5,000 of them.

Then, click the iPod as fast as you can and it becomes a portable strobe light.

Cool.

:D

TwitchOSX
Nov 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
WOOOO.. Dual 2.5 G5 just came in!!!

macridah
Nov 10, 2004, 12:58 PM
That's a quite a workaround to get video. I'll wait till the market and technology is ready for an iPod to have video capabilities.

stoid
Nov 10, 2004, 01:06 PM
Now if only they could sync up iPod and iSight, and you'd have a wicked portable video camera! :D

2GMario
Nov 10, 2004, 01:16 PM
on engadget someone made a post about converting video to audio

anyone know of a program to do this ?

if you could convert the video to audio on the left channel, then merge the left and right or even surround sound into the right channel, it may not be half bad given the situation

either way, the color screen and the video out are both in the right direction of a video ipod. the size for that matter, with 40 or 60gb drives, wouldnt be bad for storing 4 or 5 movies

i have a use for a video ipod now dammit, unlock the features apple!

-Mario

Cooknn
Nov 10, 2004, 01:57 PM
I'll wait till the market and technology is ready for an iPod to have video capabilities.According to Steve Jobs that isn't going to happen. We'll probably see a two button scroll mouse before we see an iPod do video...

dejo
Nov 10, 2004, 01:58 PM
Nifty.

Using a modification of this technique, I think you should be able to get a streaming movie (no need to keep spinning the wheel) in exchange for a lower frame rate:

Export your movie at 1 frame per second
Pull them all into an iPhoto album
Make a slide show using the movie soundtrack and that album. Turn off all transitions.
Import into the iPod
Play slide show on the iPod

Unfortunately, I don't think the iPhoto slide show facility allows a frame rate faster than 1 frame per second.

If anyone tries this, please post something letting us know if/how well it works.

Actually, the iPod Photo doesn't allow a frame rate faster than 1 frame every 2 seconds. Time Per Slide: Manual, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, etc. But I did try what you suggested by exporting my movie to an image sequence with .5 frames per second (= 2 seconds per frame). It worked okay but seems the audio still runs a little ahead of the slides, by around 2 seconds.

TwitchOSX
Nov 10, 2004, 02:38 PM
According to Steve Jobs that isn't going to happen. We'll probably see a two button scroll mouse before we see an iPod do video...

Yea.. and According to Steve Jobs, we wouldnt see an iMac with a vertical CD or DVD reader because they run slower. Hmmmm... What else is there to do with the iPod? I say video. I wouldnt mind watching video on an iPod.. especially on an airplane ride or something like that. Imagin if there there was some sort of LDC that could roll up that they could get into the iPod.. You grab the side and pull it out... which unwinds it from inside the iPod and stays out somehow.. and projects the video onto that.. hmm.. Ive seen these before.

rikers_mailbox
Nov 10, 2004, 10:15 PM
Heh. I like how totally unsteady that guy's finger scrolling is. He needs to work on his technique. :D

The thing about video iPods. . . they're cool but not really useful. I wouldn't want to sit and stare at that thing for ~2 hours. The screen is too just too tiny. (do I sound like Jobs?) Hell, the 12" screen on my PB is *hardly* big enough when I enjoy an in-flight DVD or two. :eek:

-rik

dduchene
Nov 10, 2004, 11:36 PM
Heh. I like how totally unsteady that guy's finger scrolling is. He needs to work on his technique. :D

The thing about video iPods. . . they're cool but not really useful. I wouldn't want to sit and stare at that thing for ~2 hours. The screen is too just too tiny. (do I sound like Jobs?) Hell, the 12" screen on my PB is *hardly* big enough when I enjoy an in-flight DVD or two. :eek:

-rik
But I have to say that my 17 is a pain on the airplanes really bad when the person in front reclines there seat. My Lap top is in my stomach. (5'11'' and 175Lbs) but it does turn a lot of heads. I am not sure how I feel about the video I would not want it but my kids would all love it and want one can the kids account for enough sales and will apple marketing sell it Your guess is as good as mine

rikers_mailbox
Nov 11, 2004, 02:00 AM
But I have to say that my 17 is a pain on the airplanes really bad when the person in front reclines there seat. My Lap top is in my stomach. (5'11'' and 175Lbs) but it does turn a lot of heads. I am not sure how I feel about the video I would not want it but my kids would all love it and want one can the kids account for enough sales and will apple marketing sell it Your guess is as good as mine

I watched American Beauty on my last trip. After the flight a mother sitting behind me (I was in the aisle seat) gave me a dirty look. I guess I forgot that watching movies isn't quite as personal as listening to music. I seems her younger son caught part of Mena Suvari's topless scene. :eek:

I think the son is better off for it.

dejo
Nov 11, 2004, 12:05 PM
I watched American Beauty on my last trip. After the flight a mother sitting behind me (I was in the aisle seat) gave me a dirty look. I guess I forgot that watching movies isn't quite as personal as listening to music. I seems her younger son caught part of Mena Suvari's topless scene. :eek:

I think the son is better off for it.

Darn those wide viewing angles!

Windowlicker
Nov 11, 2004, 01:12 PM
haha! well, it's pretty cool if you can do this for QTVR files.. "Take the new iMac G5 out for a spin on your iPod Photo."

Cybernanga
Nov 22, 2004, 08:46 PM
There is a site you may be interested in.

http://www.podite.com

take a look, you never know