PDA

View Full Version : Duotone for Mac OS X quick (and free) duotone images from ph...

MacBytes
Nov 10, 2004, 08:14 AM
Category: Photos
Link: Duotone for Mac OS X quick (and free) duotone images from photographs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041110091400)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Peyote
Nov 10, 2004, 08:43 AM
Nice for non-commercial printing. Not intended for duotones printed with only two inks. This would have been great is I could have used this instead of photoshop, I'd love an app that made quick monotones and duotones with PMS colors.

Oh well

x86isslow
Nov 10, 2004, 04:47 PM
general fyi:
when i tried to download the program in firefox, it crashed it, but the download works in safari

the program is nice

Blue Velvet
Nov 10, 2004, 04:53 PM
Not intended for duotones printed with only two inks. This would have been great is I could have used this instead of photoshop, I'd love an app that made quick monotones and duotones with PMS colors.

Errr... duotones are exactly that -- printed with two inks. Hence the 'duo'

I churn out dozens of the things each week... what's wrong with Photoshop?

If you just want a duotone 'effect' can you not do it in PS Elements or something similar.

Peyote
Nov 10, 2004, 10:29 PM
Errr... duotones are exactly that -- printed with two inks. Hence the 'duo'

I churn out dozens of the things each week... what's wrong with Photoshop?

If you just want a duotone 'effect' can you not do it in PS Elements or something similar.

No kidding, sherlock. I'm the Director of Creative Marketing for a large insurance company...I think I know what a duotone is. I was speaking of the "fake" duotones that this program creates. A fake duotone uses more than two colors, but we still call it a duotone, because it looks like one.

Nothing wrong with photoshop per se....but the idea of a seperate app that made great PMS duotones would help out my workflow...especially if I could save and load settings like inks and curves (I know you can do this with Pshop, but it's a pain in the ass compared to an app with a drop down menu containing saved settings.)

Blue Velvet
Nov 11, 2004, 02:00 AM
Nothing wrong with photoshop per se....but the idea of a seperate app that made great PMS duotones would help out my workflow...especially if I could save and load settings like inks and curves (I know you can do this with Pshop, but it's a pain in the ass compared to an app with a drop down menu containing saved settings.)

Why not set up some Actions in Photoshop to do this for you?

Peyote
Nov 11, 2004, 08:19 AM
Why not set up some Actions in Photoshop to do this for you?

Like I said, I know Photoshop can do this for you, but it'd be nice if they were just drop down settings in a small little program. Not having to use Photoshop would help me out, mostly because at any point in the day I usually have Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Quark, Suitcase, Acrobat Pro, and Dreamweaver all open at the same time. One less large app open would help.