PDA

View Full Version : Show OFF Your MAC SETUP!!

djniche
Aug 16, 2002, 03:59 PM
Post your desk setup pics here - let see what people are working with

here's mine.. 17" Imac - missing powerbook

Nipsy
Aug 16, 2002, 04:20 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/chrismenke/images/Desk.jpg
It's a bit out of date, the 9600 has become a B&W G3, and there are now two KWMs acting in concert, and the iPod 20 lives across the screen from the Palm...

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 06:33 PM
I have three words for you Nipsy...

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!:D:D:D

Thats a lot of moniters there...I like your 18" LCD. Is it Samsung?

edesignuk
Aug 16, 2002, 06:40 PM
This isn't my setup but u just gotta check it out!
Take a look (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4198) !

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by verbose101
This isn't my setup but u just gotta check it out!
Take a look (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4198) !

I thought I'd post the picture for you...for those too lazy to click on links;)

SilvorX
Aug 16, 2002, 07:05 PM
over achiever has a pretty interesting setup ;)

alex_ant
Aug 16, 2002, 07:31 PM
You people have penile inferiority complexes.

kibit
Aug 16, 2002, 07:31 PM
here ya go :-)

http://www.cindykranz.com/mydesk.htm

Rower_CPU
Aug 16, 2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Hopefully my setup indicates a trend in the opposite direction:

alex_ant
Aug 16, 2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Not bad. My setup is exactly the same as yours except I have the slightly more expensive silver Intellimouse, which would make me just a LITTLE bit smaller... but not much. :)

alex_ant
Aug 16, 2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Don't you know there are starving children in Africa? You could feed like 90 people for a month with the amount of money you spend on electricity for those things in a day.

MacMaster
Aug 16, 2002, 07:46 PM
Mine is coming soon(probably tomorrow I'll take the picture)......................

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 08:11 PM
lol...ya'll really think that was my setup?

I just went to the link, downloaded the pic, and posted...nothing to do with me:p

Besides, haven't ya'll read the other threads i've posted to? I have...
-200 MHz PII NEC desktop w/ win95, 16MB ram, 3GB HD, and 24x CD and floppy (3.5")
-550 MHz AMD-K6 HP laptop w/ winxp, 64MB ram, 5GB HD, and 24x CD-ROM with 3.5" floppy

So there. I'm a poor college student...why would I have that many computers?:D:D:D

That ti-book i'll get will be the first time in my life that I'll splurg on computers...and it will last me 3+ years if I can help it;)

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 08:13 PM

Rower, that's my dream setup you got there...well w/o the microsoft mouse and adobe:D. Hopefully it'll come true for me next month;)

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 08:16 PM

I'll be clearer next time. By you, I meant Verbose, since he only put the link...i'll stop this practice of posting the pictures others link to...

Is this my 100th post? Have I reached 100 posts in less than a month. Yes! Yes I did!:cool:

tjwett
Aug 16, 2002, 08:18 PM
i'm oldschool ;)

Rower_CPU
Aug 16, 2002, 08:34 PM
I'll be clearer next time. By you, I meant Rower, since he only put the link...i'll stop this practice of posting the pictures others link to...

Is this my 100th post? Have I reached 100 posts in less than a month. Yes! Yes I did!:cool:

Actually, that was verbose101 who posted it.:p

Over Achiever
Aug 16, 2002, 08:39 PM
Actually, that was verbose101 who posted it.:p

Wow, I am really out of it today. I'm so sorry.:(

Taking one practice test a day for the week before the test wasn't so bad when I thought I'd do it...its just that this test is an 8 hour Medical School Admissions Test...it just screws you over :)

*yawns*

Time for me to get my testing sleep :)

mymemory
Aug 16, 2002, 09:02 PM
This is my "portable" set up.

djniche
Aug 16, 2002, 09:36 PM

that setup with the three generation powermacs is some serious apple user! DAMN!

kiwi_the_iwik
Aug 17, 2002, 04:18 AM
http://www.imarshall.karoo.net/zx81/computerpics/zxwram2.jpg

Megaquad
Aug 17, 2002, 05:58 AM
geez people where do you get money for all those toys?:( :D

Beej
Aug 17, 2002, 07:00 AM
I'm moving... most of my stuff is packed. Notice, however, that my possesions are like gas. What remains in my room manages to spread itself in a chaotic, but very even way.

Beej
Aug 17, 2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
http://www.imarshall.karoo.net/zx81/computerpics/zxwram2.jpg Heh... and here's mine ;)

Anyone regoginse it?

jefhatfield
Aug 17, 2002, 07:41 AM

that is my ultimate goal

right now, i have two laptops and no desktop machine...i would like to somehow hide the beige printers and scanner in the wood desk somehow so all i could have on the desks are the two laptops

as much as i like technology, i hate clutter...and i thought one of the reasons for technology in computing these days was to reduce clutter

but i do like the setups i see here and they would work for my wife and me if we had more space than our small 660 sq ft apartment

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 07:49 AM
:p This is mine, It isn't all that great BUT I am only 16! I managed to buy it all myself! Some of the stuff isn't connected becuase I only put it there so u know what I have! I also put the boxes of some software, and my digital camera as you can't see my camera cuz I am using it! lol... Also, it is such a ****ed up pain that my scanner isn't compatible with Mac OS X! :( :mad:
click here: My setup (http://homepage.mac.com/addsapple/setup/)

edesignuk
Aug 17, 2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by addsapple

click here: My setup (http://homepage.mac.com/addsapple/setup/)
That is a GREAT setup, very clean and slick. And those speakers look kool! :D

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 08:12 AM
U on about the white speakers? Well if so, it took me about 4 months to find where to buy them!

mac15
Aug 17, 2002, 08:35 AM
my setup is cleaner, I have one of them tall sleek looking computer cases, I have all my apps boxes on the bottom and my computer with my pro speaker next to it and then my printer on the top, I need a camera, I might ask for one soon :D

edesignuk
Aug 17, 2002, 08:51 AM
U on about the white speakers? Well if so, it took me about 4 months to find where to buy them!
Yes I was talking about the white speakers. They look great!

barkmonster
Aug 17, 2002, 10:27 AM
16 and you can afford Minipods, an iMac, an iPod AND and iBook ?

You must have one hell of a part time job to pay for all that, or generous parents. I only had an Atari ST and a SNES when I was 16.

Infact seeing as I have to put almost all the money towards anything fairly expensive, I'm still running a crusty old beige G3. I could afford a G4 tower in 6 - 9 months time if I'm lucky. I'll have to totally cut down on the social life for a while to that aswell!

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 10:31 AM
Well, I worked like **** in a pub ALL the time! Somedays even 13 hour days! And no my parents wouldn't really help me out! I used to have the G3 INidgo iMac (which was my first EVER mac) but i sold it for an airport! :) But now I quite my job and have noooooooo money at all! UNTIL I got a job in the Waitrose branch somewhere! lol... Anyway...

Wes
Aug 17, 2002, 10:54 AM
Addsapple, they have those speakers at John Lewis. I think i'm going to work in the John Lewis mac department next summer or this winter.

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 10:59 AM
Yeah, John Lewis is cool! Did u know waitrose home and food department are part of john lewis? And that is where I now work! In cheltenham! Also, They said I could work in the computer section in Waitrose! I would have bought the speakers from John Lewis but I could never get there as I can't drive! lol

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2002, 12:33 PM
I've been meaning to take a pic of my setup for a while, but I guess I'll just have to get off my ar$e and do it now that this thread is up.:D

Wes
Aug 17, 2002, 12:45 PM
Addsapple, you I knew that I live 100 yds from the place lol...

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 12:48 PM
Well, if we both work in the John Lewis Partnership, we get 22% discount of something! Does that include Apple Computers?
:confused:

Wes
Aug 17, 2002, 01:47 PM
Yeah you defintely get a discount, but I'm not sure what it is exactly, maybe it is 22%, which is quite a chunk off the price of a mac.

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 01:50 PM
Yeah! 22% or summit, but you have to be working there for at least 3months to be able to get a discount card! Well if It does include macs, then I am definatley buying the new dual 1.25ghz PowerMac G4! :)

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2002, 02:31 PM
My Setup (From left to right):

-Mac Quadra 650 with 2GB HD and 64MB RAM running 8.1
-Nikon F3 35mm Camera with 28-200mm lens
-Apple iBook 500MHz with 10GB HD and 384MB RAM running 10.2 build 6C106
-Sony CPD-E200 17" Flat CRT
-Rio 600 32MB MP3 Player (got free with iBook)
-Kyocera KWC2135 Digital Cell Phone
-Microsoft Office Keyboard
-Yahoo! 4D mouse
-Logitech MouseMan Wheel
-ViewSonic PerfectFlat A70f 17" Flat CRT
-Sony FDL-PT22 2.2" Portable TV
-Dr. Evil
-Sony SPP-M932 2 Line Cordless Phone
-Iomega Zip 100 USB
-Microtech USB CameraMate CF card reader
-Texas Instruments TI-89 Graphing Calculator
-Hewlett Packard 38G Graphing Calculator (stack method, w00t!)
-Home-built AMD Athlon XP peecee with 143GB HD Space and 768MB RAM

Not Pictured:
-Old Macs under desk (LC575, Quadra 610, Quadra 605)
-Nikon Coolpix 950 Digital Camera (2.1MP) used to take photo

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 02:35 PM
Well, I don't know about everyone else but I like the iBook, Not so sure about the rest of it! ESPECIALLY the PC's! Um... I can't see any camera's there! But maybe i am going blind (well i just took out my contacts so that may explain it??!?!?!) but iti looks a big setup though! and also: HOW HAVE U GOT OS X 10.2? is it a preview?

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2002, 03:02 PM
Well, I don't know about everyone else but I like the iBook, Not so sure about the rest of it! ESPECIALLY the PC's! Um... I can't see any camera's there! But maybe i am going blind (well i just took out my contacts so that may explain it??!?!?!) but iti looks a big setup though! and also: HOW HAVE U GOT OS X 10.2? is it a preview?

How can one not love a Quadra 650 with 64MBs of RAM?? The camera is there, it's just hard to see. Look closely and you can see the Nikon logo. It is indeed a big setup so I got an 8 foot long desk from Ikea to cram the stuff on to. Was $550 reduced to $340. :D You're right, the PC does suck, but I will be replacing it with a Mac desktop come January. I got OS X 10.2 from my friend.

That answer your questions?:D

Here is a picture of the camera

shadowfax0
Aug 17, 2002, 03:23 PM
Here's my setup...:D

addsapple
Aug 17, 2002, 03:26 PM
Do u have a sign saying: my room my mess, that how i like it!
Anyway, u have those OLD OLD aple computers! :p I loved that Apple Studio CRT! It was sooooooo cool!;)

rigor
Aug 17, 2002, 03:28 PM
How about some 'not really a mac but close' stuff?

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2002, 03:28 PM
Dig the Performas.:D

In case anyone hasn't already noticed I have a thing for old Macs.;)

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by rigor
How about some 'not really a mac but close' stuff?

Are those Newtons with...

Lucent 802.11b cards?

Wow.

kiwi_the_iwik
Aug 17, 2002, 04:18 PM
I think that's the Babbage that I sold to get my flash piece of work - check out if it has the same inscription on the side:

"To Wendel:

May our love continue to increase to the power of 4, and then after that, add 9 and multiply by the square root of 93 (remembering, of course, where to put the decimal place).

Love, Doris."

Is the 3rd gear on it still a bit sticky? Try some WD-40 (works a treat...;) )

rigor
Aug 17, 2002, 04:30 PM
Lucent 802.11b cards?

Yah.. Theres a driver floating around, works with 64 bit encryption too. Web/Email/Telnet works. Kinda sluggish but still fun.

Ok heres a pic of the rack on which my airport base sits (the white blob at the top) and another larger view of the nextstation next to my imac. The imac uses airport for internet access and the nextstation uses ethernet to get internet access off the imac. I have way too much time on my hands.

rigor
Aug 17, 2002, 04:31 PM
Lets try again..

Mr. Anderson
Aug 17, 2002, 05:12 PM
This is probably the third time I've posted this for this type of thread, but here's mine again.

D

edesignuk
Aug 17, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
This is probably the third time I've posted this for this type of thread, but here's mine again.

D
Yup! And it looks great every time Duke!

MacMaster
Aug 17, 2002, 05:34 PM

D
One word...

wow!

Wes
Aug 17, 2002, 05:34 PM
That's a great looking set-up duke, wish I had one like that.

I would post mine but it's basically just an ibook and a performa 5300 (Used as tv). Don't worry the dual ghz wil be ordered soon.

MacMaster
Aug 17, 2002, 05:46 PM
The imac uses airport for internet access and the nextstation uses ethernet to get internet access off the imac. I have way too much time on my hands.

How do you do this??? I have an ibook with airport for internet and a PM9500 that would like to have internet from the ibook via ethernet....Please explain how you configure this!

btw...the ibook is running X and the 9500 can run X, but is running 9...

ANYONE! PLEASE HELP! URGENT! well not really urgent, but PLEASE HELP!!!

boom-boom
Aug 17, 2002, 06:04 PM
My setup in writing until I can buy a new charger battery charger:

G4 733 120GB HD 1GB ram Sony 21" Sony 17"
Intuos tablet
2x iBook 12" 700Mhz on order
B+W G3 300 60GB HD 512MB ram 2x Apple 17"
Starmax 3400 with not alot
Saphir Ultra 2 scanner
Canon 1D + D60 + lots of lighting
QMS Magicolor 300 printer
Lexmark Optra n printer
Athlon 800 4x 73GB very noisey scsi hds + 768mb ram
PII 266 80GB hd 768 mb ram (mp3 and divx)
3com SSII switch
kingston switch
sony av amp
KEF Q35s + Q15s + Bose centre channel, great for games

Loads of music and a ps2 for inspiration.

I just wish I could buy a new G4!!!!

rigor
Aug 18, 2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MacMaster

How do you do this??? I have an ibook with airport for internet and a PM9500

It appears 10.2 is going to do this... But if you can't wait you have two options:

The unix way:
http://macosx.org/nat.html

A GUI utility which appears to be free and do most of the dirty work for you:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13335&db=mac

Also maybe worth mentioning, if you're going to connect the machines directly.. I needed to use a crossover/null patch cable. A standard cat5 cable did not work.

MacMaster
Aug 18, 2002, 10:11 PM

It appears 10.2 is going to do this... But if you can't wait you have two options:

The unix way:
http://macosx.org/nat.html

A GUI utility which appears to be free and do most of the dirty work for you:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13335&db=mac

Also maybe worth mentioning, if you're going to connect the machines directly.. I needed to use a crossover/null patch cable. A standard cat5 cable did not work.
I can wait for Jaguar, but do both computers have to be running Jaguar? I know the ibook will, but I'm not too sure about the 9500...

coolocity
Aug 19, 2002, 10:50 AM
Anyone have a nice idea how I can show off my new 17" iMac? Because the monitor is attached to the base, it's kinda hard to have variety..

- John

Steev
Aug 19, 2002, 08:52 PM
i really do have this but no digital camera, this is the only mac in the house i am waitng for my dual 867!! this thing is classic.http://www.powerbook.org/rikibon/PB_IMAGE/pb145b.jpg

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 09:14 PM
hmmm...Japanese version:D :p

mmoore00
Aug 19, 2002, 09:48 PM
Lets try again..

Man, a NeXTStation? That's AWESOME! Are you the orig. owner? I'd love to get my hands on one of those... (Actually, I'd love to have a color cube turbo, but a NeXTStation might be a bit more practical spacewise...)

-M

LimeiBook86
Aug 19, 2002, 10:24 PM
This is my setupit includes: Macintosh IIci (the one thats on), Macintosh IIcx, PowerBook 190c, PowerBook DUO 270c, iBook FireWire SE 466mhz DVD, Sega Genesis Model 2, PowerCD, Two Apple Monitors, and one old IBM monitor. :D
http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/mysetuup.jpg

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 10:31 PM
What does this do?

LimeiBook86
Aug 19, 2002, 10:42 PM
Its a CD player made by Apple in 1993 (i think) it can play Photo CDs (when connected to your TV) and regualr Audio CDs, it can be battery operated with 6 AA batteries and can be used as a CD-ROM drive to any SCSI enabled Mac, used on system 7.1 or later. Mine dosen't have the base (which is the SCSI converter where teh SCSI port is converted into a 6 AA battery pack an AC Power port) More info at this site: http://www.applefritter.com/accessories/powercd/ and here
http://www.acornworld.net/~jmayrand/Access.html (towards the bottom)
;)

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 10:46 PM
Hey! That's a pretty cool product!:) Just one more question, :rolleyes: what's it's speed? Just curious...

LimeiBook86
Aug 19, 2002, 10:47 PM

D
What kind of G4 is that? and is that an Apple 21" Studio Display? My dad has that display and a AGP 450mhz G4 with DVD and ZIP. Is that like yours?:)

LimeiBook86
Aug 19, 2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by MacMaster
Hey! That's a pretty cool product!:) Just one more question, :rolleyes: what's it's speed? Just curious...
I think its 1x or 2x I forget! I know it's slow though...:rolleyes:

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86

I think its 1x or 2x I forget! I know it's slow though...:rolleyes:
Yep, that's slow allright:p

BongHits
Aug 19, 2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
amen brother!

BongHits
Aug 19, 2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by barkmonster
16 and you can afford Minipods, an iMac, an iPod AND and iBook ?

You must have one hell of a part time job to pay for all that, or generous parents. I only had an Atari ST and a SNES when I was 16.

Infact seeing as I have to put almost all the money towards anything fairly expensive, I'm still running a crusty old beige G3. I could afford a G4 tower in 6 - 9 months time if I'm lucky. I'll have to totally cut down on the social life for a while to that aswell!
you have two options....slang the yayo....and the corner...:eek:

funkywhat2
Aug 19, 2002, 11:56 PM
Hey LimeiBook86, I'm lookin for a PowerCD, I'll buy it off you:)

funkywhat2
Aug 20, 2002, 12:15 AM
this is all i ahve, a least now. its an MP 120, with the ac adaptor plugged in. i also have the fax modem, and the MP 110 NI-CAD batteries. hopefully, ill have my hands on some older suff soon, once i get the cash to go ebayin':)

Nipsy
Aug 20, 2002, 01:42 AM
I have three words for you Nipsy...

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!:D:D:D

Thats a lot of moniters there...I like your 18" LCD. Is it Samsung?

It is actually an off brand called Xenon. I like it because it has a coax input, rca input, TV tuner and remote!

topicolo
Aug 20, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
This is my setupit includes: Macintosh IIci (the one thats on), Macintosh IIcx, PowerBook 190c, PowerBook DUO 270c, iBook FireWire SE 466mhz DVD, Sega Genesis Model 2, PowerCD, Two Apple Monitors, and one old IBM monitor. :D
http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/mysetuup.jpg

DUDE! you have a PowerCD? that is awesome. I remember dreaming about getting that thing when I was in grade 4. *drool*

topicolo
Aug 20, 2002, 12:51 PM
it's a 1x by the way

LimeiBook86
Aug 21, 2002, 12:01 AM
yeah thats what I thought :D