Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Hoping you guys can help me out...

I recently installed Panther on my iMac (Snow) and now when I boot it gets all the way to the desktop, the menu bar pops up (but with none of the menus, except the apple) and doesn't boot any further. It goes back to the blue screen with the spining lines thingy (ha ha). This just keeps happening over and over again. I've tried fsck and I ran it in Verbose and the message that pops up when it goes back to the blue screen is as follows: "INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default conneciton to the WindowServer."
Tried zapping PRAM and everything. No dice.

What's the story!?

Thanks a million for the help guys. As usual.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just a thought....

If you boot from the Mac OS X CD, and enable "root" access, is it then possible to log in as "root" (i.e. System Administrator), instead of your normal account?

If so, then something is wrong in your environment... maybe a pref is damaged etc.

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Try holding down the "shift" key once it starts loading the user. If it then gets to Finder ok, you could try dumping some of your prefs in your usersd library folder or creating a new users and seeing if it will load that user up ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.