PDA

View Full Version : What do I use the new 6gig drive for?

jairo_rios
Nov 10, 2004, 09:29 AM
I just got a new 6 gig drive installed on my G4. The original drive capacity is 12 gigs. What can I use it for without getting to fancy? I am running 0S 9 and X from the original drive. Could I use it for the "Users" and/or "Documents" folders without messing up the file system? And is it as easy as dragging and dropping the folders?

jeremy.king
Nov 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
I ask, Is it really worth the effort?

I wouldn't even bother with a 6GB drive whatsoever, instead, drop the $65 for a new 80 GB.

wkw
Nov 10, 2004, 09:39 AM
heres a really good deal on a hitachi 160gb: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4008242

bill

jairo_rios
Nov 10, 2004, 09:52 AM
I got it for free and it is already installed.

jeremy.king
Nov 10, 2004, 09:59 AM
I got it for free and it is already installed.

My point was its really not big enough to serve a purpose. If you move your user(s) folders, you will quickly run out of space if they have any photos or music. You could use some tricks to move just your iPhoto library or iTunes folder, but 6GB isn't a whole lot to work with. You can't really use it as a backup drive since its smaller than the other drive. I am sure someone has a creative suggestion, but the fact of the matter, why go through all this "work" for 6GB?

yippy
Nov 10, 2004, 10:23 AM
Use it as a backup so you can have two copies of your documents. Also you might want to consider using it as a scratch/temporary files drive. Like set Safari (or whatever you use) to download to it so you don't clutter your small main drive with little files and it will help keep the main drive defraged. On my tower I have a 3Gb partition dedicated to all the random files I download for fun, like game demos that I usualy delete after a short time. Just an idea.

jairo_rios
Nov 10, 2004, 11:34 AM
What do I do if I wanted to have the "Documents" folder on the new drive?

BTW, This is an office computer, so all the really important stuff is backed-up to a server.

russed
Nov 10, 2004, 12:11 PM
you could smash it up and call it modern art? :)

5300cs
Nov 10, 2004, 07:12 PM
I did a quick Google search and found this page: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/freeingspace.html Check the bottom of the page, maybe that'll help.
It also has info on freeing up space (if you're interested in that, if not just ignore it.)

Hope that helps.

Nov 10, 2004, 07:38 PM
Document backups would probibly be it... maybe some mp3 storage... or a temp swap drive for photoshop? ~ Personaly even though the drive was free, I would have just given it to someone else as 6gb really isnt all that big; I could fill it up with about 6 minutes of 1080p HD video... but then again, I don't think your doing that stuff in your office, lol.... so in an office case, id probibly go with mp3 storage.