Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Are the Navigon's app extras like Traffic Live and Panorama View 3D worth it? What is the traffic live will do in terms of the direction guidance? Will it tell you there's a traffic ahead or you have to check for yourself and it will provide the traffic info? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You can either set the traffic side of things to automatically reroute you or ask if you want it to.

3d is up to you does look nicer though.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Here's what I wrote about the traffic add-on in another thread.

I have it set to consider traffic as it routes me, and reroute as necessary.
It's not pricey when you compare it to the subscription price of a lot of stand-alone devices.

It is well worth it for me, but I live in one of the worst traffic areas in the country: Southern California, where the same drive can take between 20 minutes and 2 hours. Having live traffic means that not only will it give me a different route depending on the time of day, it will keep checking the information along the route and possibly reroute me.

One time I was going from Long Beach to Santa Monica, and it had us go on surface streets the entire way, kept rerouting us, and it took about 35 minutes. When I looked at Google maps, the most direct route (via freeway) was so clogged, it had an trip length of over 2.5 hours.

Don't tell Navigon, but I'd pay $25/year for their live traffic feature. :eek:
I didn't buy the 3D add-on, because I don't need a purely cosmetic addition, but for me, traffic is a no-brainer.

navguy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
if you travel in Metro areas w/ lots of traffic on the highways, then traffic is very useful. Mostly highway coverage, not sure how much surface road data it provides, if any.

Regul8tR

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
I have both NAVIGON extras installed. The 3D Panorama View is cool visually but adds no extra utility to the app. Traffic, on the other hand, is an almost must. My experience with the traffic extra has been extremely positive.

For example, when I'm on the highway/roadway and see that a major back-up is forming the NAVIGON app says, "One moment while I calculate the route based on traffic." Less than 30 seconds later it re-routes me to another highway/roadway and I'm flying.

Very Happy with NAVIGON and both extras.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I have both NAVIGON extras installed. The 3D Panorama View is cool visually but adds no extra utility to the app. Traffic, on the other hand, is an almost must. My experience with the traffic extra has been extremely positive.

For example, when I'm on the highway/roadway and see that a major back-up is forming the NAVIGON app says, "One moment while I calculate the route based on traffic." Less than 30 seconds later it re-routes me to another highway/roadway and I'm flying.

Very Happy with NAVIGON and both extras.

Is the Traffic Live option for Navigon a one-time purchase or is it on a per year basis?

Just found out that it's a one-time purchase. Certainly worth it now that it's 50% off.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Over WIFI, it took me about 10 minutes or so.

Is that a one-time download of 500+MB or does it have to download that every time you run Navigon? I'm assuming it's just once. Also, is that 500+MB permanently stored locally on your device?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Here's what I wrote about the traffic add-on in another thread.

I have it set to consider traffic as it routes me, and reroute as necessary.
I didn't buy the 3D add-on, because I don't need a purely cosmetic addition, but for me, traffic is a no-brainer.

Hahaha, I'm a Bostonian in LA too! And thanks for this write up you had, it literally made me purchase the traffic add on right now as it was on sale....so thanks....oh, paid the 4.99 for 3D VIEW too, just for kicks....it's a great NAV app for sure!

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Yes, it's one time download, and it is stored on your device.

I assume if I delete navigon from my phone, and re add it later that I'll have to redownload the panorama view??(i'm thinking the 3d maps dont transfer to itunes?) just curious...gracias

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Yes, it's one time download, and it is stored on your device.

Thank you for that. Still trying to decide if it's worth it (not the $4.99 but the 500+MB of additional space that it will take up on my phone). Is there a way to purchase the panorama view and not download it until you're going on a trip or whatever? Or can you download it when you purchase the add-on, delete the 500MB and then download it later when you want to use it? Space is at a premium on my phone so I'd like to keep that 500MB free until I actually need the panorama data.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Thank you for that. Still trying to decide if it's worth it (not the $4.99 but the 500+MB of additional space that it will take up on my phone). Is there a way to purchase the panorama view and not download it until you're going on a trip or whatever? Or can you download it when you purchase the add-on, delete the 500MB and then download it later when you want to use it? Space is at a premium on my phone so I'd like to keep that 500MB free until I actually need the panorama data.

Eaxactly what I want to know....i don't mind using the 500MB, just curious how it all works!

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008

????

You can choose which map view you want displayed. If you don't want panorama simply choose 2D, or 3D.

Edit: re read your post, now I understand what you are asking. If space is limited on your phone don't download it....it is just eye candy. As far as "deleting" it off your phone after a download, I don't believe there is a way to do that unless you restore the phone.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
????

You can choose which map view you want displayed. If you don't want panorama simply choose 2D, or 3D.

Edit: re read your post, now I understand what you are asking. If space is limited on your phone don't download it....it is just eye candy. As far as "deleting" it off your phone after a download, I don't believe there is a way to do that unless you restore the phone.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for that.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Yesterday I bought Navigon + 3D Panorama. Loaded it up on my iPhone 3G and tried it, worked great!

Today I received my iPhone 4, did a setup using a restore of my 3G (which i had backup immediately before) and now I dont have the 3D Panorama on the iPhone 4. What gives?

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Deleted the app from the iPhone 4 and re-intalled again, still no Panoramic 3D view.

Turned on my 3G and I can confirm that I have indeed the Panoramic 3D view on that one.

Tried to see if clicking Extras/Panorama 3D view on the iPhone 4 would allow me to download, but it only asks for my confirmation to buy it.

Anyone encountered this same problem?

Are the app extras limited per device, instead of per account??

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I read their FAQ and saw the following:

"Yes, the In App purchases have to be restored to your iPhone but your iTunes Store knows automatically which products were bought before so the restoration is free of charge. To retrieve already purchased products, tap on the “Restore Purchases” button under “More” →“Extras”."

However, there is no Restore Purchases button, either on the 3G or the 4G. I'm lost on this one :confused:

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I encountered this same issue when upgrading from my iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 and setting it up as a new device and installing Navigon from scratch. If you select Purchase again, you will NOT be charged again. A PR manager from navigon confirmed this for me in this tweet.

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
So I purchased traffic and Panorama 3D for the iPhone 4 (it was cheap, why not?)

Now, Navigon downloads the Panorama 3D (which takes hours, literally, and I'm on super fast Wifi!) and when it's done downloading, it starts downloading again. This has happened 3 times so far. A reboot, closing the icon, and uninstalling / reinstalling the app doesn't help.

Any ideas? I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Weird.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Is that a one-time download of 500+MB or does it have to download that every time you run Navigon? I'm assuming it's just once. Also, is that 500+MB permanently stored locally on your device?

No. You have to download the 500MB of data every time you launch the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.