PDA

View Full Version : Why does Apple scorn roadmaps?

LethalWolfe
Aug 16, 2002, 04:36 PM
It seems all other tech makers share their roadmap so people know what is going on (and to flaunt their hopefully superior tech). But Apple keeps everything hidden which, IMO, makes it a real b*tch for consumers. Do I buy now or wait 'til after the next MW? Then once MW happens do I buy a new rig, or scamble to get a good deal on an "old" model?

Buying a PC so much less stressful 'cause you know what Intel, or AMD has comin' down the pipe. You know to wait 'cause new chips, or mobos will be coming out X months from now. You know how long the upgrade path is for what yer lookin' to buy. But w/Apple yer buying blind.

Is there a logical explination for Apple's frusterating ways, or is it just them "being different?"

And, please, no flames. I seriously would like to know (or hear theories) why Apple is so secretive.

Lethal

Durandal7
Aug 16, 2002, 05:08 PM
Apple is in a bad position as far as profits are concerned. If Apple released a roadmap it would really hurt sales with people going "I'll just wait a year so that 'X' comes out with 'Y'. Also the speculation surrounding new computers generates a lot of free publicity.

awrc
Aug 16, 2002, 05:19 PM
Intel and AMD are processor manufacturers. Apple isn't, it's a computer manufacturer. Dell and Compaq don't typically publish roadmaps.

The onus here should be on Motorola or IBM to publish roadmaps. For all I know they may have.

Al

ibookin'
Aug 16, 2002, 05:25 PM
If Apple had a roadmap there would be no excitement before the MacWorld Keynote or any other Apple event. Part of being a Mac user is speculating about what Apple is going to do next, and I think Apple understands this. With a product roadmap, there would be no last-minute rumors on the day before the Keynote on sites like this one. For me, that is an important part of being a Mac user.

LethalWolfe
Aug 16, 2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by awrc
Intel and AMD are processor manufacturers. Apple isn't, it's a computer manufacturer. Dell and Compaq don't typically publish roadmaps.

The onus here should be on Motorola or IBM to publish roadmaps. For all I know they may have.

Al

That's a good point. I tend to forget that Apple is a computer maker, not a chip maker.

I think part the "problem" (at least I see it as a problem) is that there is compition in the x86 world, but there isn't in the PPC PC world. If AMD or Intel announce new chips to appear in the Fall, then we all know Dell, Gateway etc., will have PCs w/the new chips soon after. But Apple has no other PPC compition, and it is also at the mercy of Moto or IBM. When new chips are talked about by those two God only knows when (if?) Apple will get them.

I agree that it can be fun to look forward to MacWorlds and speculate. But if you need to plan yer upgrades (like companies that only upgrade every 5yrs or small business that have very tight budgets) then buying a Mac is freakin' scary. Kinda like a game show "Would you like the car, or what's behind door #1?" ;)

Lethal