Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I have two ac charger cords for my PB - the one it came with and a backup. My battery is about three months old and seems to be very healthy. The problem is that the cord arbitrarily stops charging (thought it was the cord, used the backup - same thing happens). The light on the cord where it plugs in to the computer goes off and I must unplug it from the power source and replug for it to start charging again, which it always does.

I thought it was the outlet on the surge protector, so I switched outlets. No improvement. I thought then that it might be the surge protector itself, so I plugged it directly into another outlet, to no avail.

I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this issue. I searched the forums, but I'm not finding anything, and I'm not really sure how to ideally word it for a search so I thought I'd ask.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Seems like your charger or DC board in your PB is going bad. Try with another charger if you got possibility.

CPJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Seems like your charger or DC board in your PB is going bad. Try with another charger if you got possibility.

Thanks - I have two chargers and the same thing happens on both of them. I'm guessing it's not the chargers or the power source, but I am sincerely hoping it's something easily fixable because, while I need a new computer, I cannot afford one at the moment.

Kaji79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Depends on your skills, if your comfortable pulling it apart then it's easy to solder, or take to someone who can solder. It maybe just a bad port.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Thanks - I have two chargers and the same thing happens on both of them. I'm guessing it's not the chargers or the power source, but I am sincerely hoping it's something easily fixable because, while I need a new computer, I cannot afford one at the moment.

Looks like DC in board then. If so, fixing it is PITA: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...G4-Aluminum-12-Inch-867-MHz-DC-In-Board/214/1 but doable. No soldering required.
You can always live with it as is until it stops working completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.