Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
In the preview pane in Font Book, you can see all of a font's characters. But, let's say I want to use a particular one of them in another program. How do I type the character that I want?

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
You can use the Character Viewer in 10.6 (System Preferences>Language & Text) or Character Palette in 10.5 (System Preferences>International). And in InDesign you can also use Type>Glyphs to open the Glyphs palette. There are other ways too.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
I'm using 10.5.

How do you use the character palette to find the character you want? It doesn't allow sorting by font.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
In the Character Palette change the "View" pull-down menu to "Glyph." Then you can choose the Font and see all the characters.

To type stuff here change "View" to "Roman." Then you can choose the various categories on the left such as Math and Arrows to see the available characters. Or you can use "Code Tables." Now I'll double-click to insert © ∞ ∅ ✥ ⌘ ✄

Or you could select your font in whatever program you're working in. Then use the Character Palette to select your special characters.

①❷③❹⑤❻⑦❽⑨❿

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Thank you so much. This is something I've overlooked for a long time and will be a huge help to me in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.