PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 flashing colours

PhelpsiPhan
Jul 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hi there, i have an iBook g4 that just flashes different colours when turned on. What would be the issue & can it be fixed?

Thanks

Jonathan

DesmoPilot
Jul 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sounds like the logic board is dead/dying and would have to be replaced. Does it boot into OS X with the colors? Or simply not boot and just display the funky colors?

PhelpsiPhan
Jul 16, 2010, 08:09 PM
When i press the power button, the screen just flashes different colours, the full screen

DesmoPilot
Jul 16, 2010, 08:29 PM
When i press the power button, the screen just flashes different colours, the full screen

So it doesn't even boot into OS X?

4JNA
Jul 16, 2010, 09:15 PM
you might try a quick test.

put the iBook on a hard surface (desk) and push as hard as you can with your left hand using one or two fingers just to the left of the trackpad (just below the split of the apple key and and the space bar), and then with your right hand hit the power button. if that doesn't work and you have nothing to loose, try a clamp to apply more pressure, but only if you really don't need this to work ever again. think: half turn - try - half turn - try - etc. i've seen lots like this with the same symptoms.

if this is the 'loose chip' failure, you might get it to boot. if it does boot, and then you remove your left hand (or pressure)it will likely freeze. best of luck.

PhelpsiPhan
Jul 16, 2010, 10:28 PM
No it does not boot into os x at all, I will try that pressing idea now, I will let you know how it goes

PhelpsiPhan
Jul 16, 2010, 10:31 PM
Wow that pressing thing actually worked. So what do i do to permanently fix that, I don't want to press that as hard as i can every time i wanna use it haha

Kaji79
Jul 16, 2010, 11:30 PM
use a clamp....you can do the card trick, or you can d what I did. Pulled the board, and had a guy who fixes xbox 360's reflow the board for 20$.

http://www.joshoakhurst.com/2006/06/23/best-ghetto-apple-hack-ever-ibook-logic-board-fix/

Kaji79
Jul 16, 2010, 11:38 PM
Also try http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/

Both links are quick fixes that may not last a long time, just keep that in mind.

jonahwinters
May 15, 2011, 05:47 PM
put the iBook on a hard surface (desk) and push as hard as you can with your left hand ...

It worked! Thank you so much, 4JNA! You saved me a new computer! Whew, all this time I thought it was the logic board.