PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a suitable hard drive for audio work

bencw
Jul 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hey, currently I've got a Macbook 4.1 which has a 5400 250Gb hard drive.

Im looking to replace my hard drive with a larger and faster drive.
I tried calling up Apple but they informed me that if purchased a 7200 500Gb drive, the Macbook would not be able to run it due to it's faster speed.

I'm now not sure what would be the best option
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hellhammer
Jul 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
500GB 7200rpm drive will work but it will drain your battery faster and might cause more heat and vibration. There is 750GB 5400rpm drive as well which is slightly slower but offers greater capacity if you need that. Check out the new hybrid Momentus XT as well

bencw
Jul 17, 2010, 11:32 AM
Thank you for your fast reply.
Not sure why the people at Apple didn't recommend it then.
I'm now looking at purchasing a 'Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB 2.5" SATA 7200RPM'. Would this hard drive fit my Macbook?

Sorry for being so clueless, I just want to be sure that it's worth buying a new drive and what I heard from Apple is just confused me slightly :p

alust2013
Jul 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm now looking at purchasing a 'Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB 2.5" SATA 7200RPM'. Would this hard drive fit my Macbook?

Sorry for being so clueless, I just want to be sure that it's worth buying a new drive and what I heard from Apple is just confused me slightly :p

I don't know what that apple tech was smoking. You can very easily use the hard drive you mentioned in your computer, and it is the exact same form factor as the one that is currently in it.

Hellhammer
Jul 17, 2010, 11:41 AM

It will work fine, it is the same form factor (2.5" SATA with height of 9.5mm). Apple has never offered 7200 rpm drive so he just may think that it won't work. Usually I find those techs being extremely unacknowledged, thus I usually ask from MR or other forums as people are unbiased and actually know and have done something.

Giuly
Jul 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
The only hard drive which is specially designed for Audio/Video stuff is the Western Digital RE-AV, but it's a desktop drive with 3.5".

You could use that in a FireWire 800 enclosure, else you find anything about recent 2.5" hard drives in this thread, Post #9 and #15 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954923)

Regards

circularforward
Jul 18, 2010, 08:38 PM

The 7200.5 is supposed to come out in 3 to 4 weeks. The Hitachi 7k500 is also a great drive and a good deal too.