PDA

View Full Version : French court won't force Apple to open up iTunes

MacBytes
Nov 11, 2004, 01:17 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: French court won\'t force Apple to open up iTunes (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041111021732)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

AmigoMac
Nov 11, 2004, 06:52 AM
Morons... Why didn't they sue MS and forced them to open-source the OS?

:rolleyes:

It's very stupid to make legal actions like this, What's coming next? Sony sues apple in Japan? ...

Edit: Who is behind this? I don't think that this is one company idea... like SCO case against linux ;) ...

shamino
Nov 11, 2004, 09:57 AM
Morons... Why didn't they sue MS and forced them to open-source the OS?
Well, to be fair, Virgin is not demanding that the iPod system software be made public.

They want to be able to make documents using Apple's DRM. The closest Windows analogy would be a third-party office suite using the MS Office file formats and demanding that MS release the specs on the file format so they don't have to reverse-engineer it.

If Apple has any responsibility at all here (and I don't think they do), it is to allow third-party music to play on an iPod. And they do this right now through their support of WAV, AIFF, MP3, unprotected AAC and unprotected WMA (via conversion to AAC).

I realize that on-line stores like Virgin may have a hard time getting permission to distribute copyrighted material without DRM, but that's not Apple's problem.

Stella
Nov 11, 2004, 10:13 AM
Apple's refusal to license fairplay will return to haunt them.

Apple should be pro-active instead of reactive, which what will happen ( reactive) when Apple finally license out fairplay due to falling market share.

bousozoku
Nov 11, 2004, 10:45 AM

Apple should be pro-active instead of reactive, which what will happen ( reactive) when Apple finally license out fairplay due to falling market share.

If they lose their momentum at any point in time, 10 years down the road, they'll be a mere whisper of the impact on audio they once were. They have a chance now to avoid history turning against them again.

There have been enough incidents that others are willing to work with them to put music on iPod--if they can control it--they should collaborate.

Fender2112
Nov 11, 2004, 04:05 PM

For now, I am going to take sides with Apple on this. They have the Number 1 player and the Number 1 store. None of the other companies appear to have any incentive to offer Apple. Apple has put a lot of time and money into creating the iPod experience. They have the right to pick and choose who they play with.

If Apple's dominance begins to slip, I'm sure they will take appropriate action.

I still would like to Apple reverse engineer Real's format and include it with Quicktime. Just to teach them a lesson :D