PDA

View Full Version : So what exactly is (was?) the status of iTunes in AOL?

nagromme
Nov 11, 2004, 01:40 AM
The Apple/AOL iTunes deal (about a year ago?) sounded like big news... and then was practically never mentioned again. What exactly IS the deal, and is it still in operation in some form?

The impression I got is that AOL's already-existing music area would gain download ability--by adding iTunes links. And along with that, promotion of iTunes on AOL music screens. (Maybe shipping iTunes with AOL installation discs?)

What's the real story? Thankfully I've never had AOL--but I know it's a big audience.

Just curious.

dotnina
Nov 11, 2004, 01:55 AM
Hmm ... so how big was this deal going to be?

Just before I saw this post, I happened to run into an iTMS page of a live performance -- "Sessions@AOL" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4216948&originStoreFront=143441)

I found an iTMS link from this AOL page, (http://music.channel.aol.com/) but that's it.

Was it supposed to be a big thing?

asif786
Nov 11, 2004, 03:39 AM
hi,

well, the last time i used someone's aol (a few weeks ago), i went on the music page, and every single song had a link to itunes. they also had quides about how to use itunes etc.. i imagine aol is sending a fair few clicks their way,

MOFS
Nov 11, 2004, 05:07 AM
The Apple/AOL iTunes deal (about a year ago?) sounded like big news... and then was practically never mentioned again. What exactly IS the deal, and is it still in operation in some form?

The impression I got is that AOL's already-existing music area would gain download ability--by adding iTunes links. And along with that, promotion of iTunes on AOL music screens. (Maybe shipping iTunes with AOL installation discs?)

What's the real story? Thankfully I've never had AOL--but I know it's a big audience.

Just curious.

I've got an AOL screen name, and as far as I can see, the only difference is that I can use it instead of a .Mac password - 'tis a bit scary (if you think about it) that Apple know my password now...but I can use it on iTunes, the Apple store etc. :confused:

nagromme
Nov 11, 2004, 06:55 AM
Sounds like it happened then, and is still going strong. A pretty big deal, but maybe HP overshadowed it :)

I forgot about being able to buy on iTunes with your AOL account. That doesn't (necessarily) mean AOL shared your password with Apple. Apple could simply send your login to AOL every time to get the go-ahead.