PDA

View Full Version : I have 2 issues I think are related

mrrich
Jul 17, 2010, 09:59 AM
Power mac G4 Dual 867 OS X 10.5.8. Computer was recently upgraded so I could I could sync it with my new iPhone 4. Everything worked great. I share this computer with another user, I come home from work, log in to my account, and I notice both the Safari 5.0 and Apple Mail icons on the dock show a question mark. Long story short, the other user had deleted the apps. I was able to rebuild the two apps, everything working fine. Next day, I find out that Quicktime (paid version) was also deleted, and the other user was in the process of reinstalling. Since then, the computer will not sleep. Also when using the Apple Optical USB Mouse, especially when scrolling using the track ball, the cursor disappears or leaves a trail. Sometimes there is just a little colored square where the cursor should be. I have used Applejack in AUTO mode, didn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated.

mrrich
Aug 1, 2010, 11:14 AM
Issue fixed!!! This was an unusual experience, only for the fact that Apple techs kept telling me that our graphics card (ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256mb AGP) was bad, and that was not the case. During the rebuilding of the OS, some critical driver files were erased. Even though we had researched online, taken the machine to an Apple Store Genius Bar and to an authorized Apple service provider. At home, the computer booted fine, card worked fine, except for the problems reported in the original post. I took the machine to my local Apple Store yesterday. He hooked it up right there on the counter, and all we got was this gray image of the desktop, He said that was the image that you get directly from the motherboard, as if the graphics card didn't exist. I said "this computer has only been unplugged for 20 minutes, and you're now telling me the card is bad?" He said "maybe it's getting progressively worse". Essentially, the opinion was that this was an older machine and that was that. My brother had found a posting on the web where someone had reported a similar issue, where they went through a complete rebuild of their system, starting with a Tiger install, then installing Leopard. We had found some older ATI drivers for OS X 10.3 and 10.4. installed those, still didn't fix the problem. My brother then got the box and the original install disc that came with the graphics card. Installed the disc, reboot and now everything works perfectly. Computer sleeps as before and there is no mouse/cursor issues.

Macs are the only computers I have ever owned, I use a Windows box at work. This current machine has always worked great, and it does everything I need it to do. It's maxed out with 2gb RAM, OS x 10.5.8 and a 320gb HD. Yeah I'd like a new iMac, but I don't feel spending $2,199.00 at this time for a computer I use maybe 30 minutes a day.