PDA

View Full Version : A question about Audible, iPods and iTunes...

Jalexster
Nov 11, 2004, 07:51 AM
Ok, because I'm in Australia, I don't have the iTunes Music Store. However, I do have access to Audible (Audible.com, not the iTunes Music Store version). I have a few questions.

1. What format is music bought from Audible downloaded in? I heard it's .AA, but I'm not sure.

2. Will content (.AA) bought from the Audible web-site, play in iTunes?

3. Will content (.AA) bought from the Audible web-site, play on an iPod? I'm planning to get a U2 iPod.

4. Which Audible "types" are compatible with iTunes and iPods? I think it's types 2, 3 and 4, but I'm not sure about this either.

crazytom
Nov 11, 2004, 09:13 AM
I can only answer questions #2 and #3 with certainty: Yes, Audible downloads work with iTunes and Ipod. I'm not sure exactly what format they're in. And lastly, I think that types 3 and 4 are compatible with iTunes and iPod...I've always downloaded type 4.

Logik
Nov 11, 2004, 10:19 AM
.aa is a wrapper format it seems. some form of MP3 i think. Either way, yes, itunes will play Audible files, ipod will play them (bookmarkable as well), and you should have no problem.

aloofman
Nov 11, 2004, 12:21 PM
I've bought two audiobooks from Audible.com and they work great on iTunes and my iPod. The only annoyance is that if you have to restore or copy over your music library between computers or when reinstalling the OS, you'll have to re-confirm your Audible.com password to access the audiobook files again. You don't have to keep a membership with Audible, you just have to remember the password you used when you had an active account there.

evil_santa
Nov 11, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ok, because I'm in Australia, I don't have the iTunes Music Store. However, I do have access to Audible (Audible.com, not the iTunes Music Store version). I have a few questions.

1. What format is music bought from Audible downloaded in? I heard it's .AA, but I'm not sure.

2. Will content (.AA) bought from the Audible web-site, play in iTunes?

3. Will content (.AA) bought from the Audible web-site, play on an iPod? I'm planning to get a U2 iPod.

4. Which Audible "types" are compatible with iTunes and iPods? I think it's types 2, 3 and 4, but I'm not sure about this either.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. The highest Audible format is quite low quality 32kbps mono. But you are downloading a 5hr book.

You have to enter you Audible account details onto iTunes when you first play a .aa track, your ipod will remember this until it is plugged into another computer running itunes. I find this annoying as i have a G3 at work that runs os9 and doesn't support Audible files, if I have to charge my ipod up from work the .aa file won't play until i have played them through my home machine.

the .aa file will remember where you were when you last listened to the file.