PDA

View Full Version : iBook Aiport is acting up...

mrsir2009
Jul 17, 2010, 05:11 PM
I tried to connect my iBook to the internet via Aiport, and when it asked for my password, and I typed it in, it told me the password was incorrect.

However the password is correct, because it works for every other Mac in my house. Anyone know what the problem might be?

4JNA
Jul 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
I...it works for every other Mac in my house. Anyone know what the problem might be?

what ibook running which airport card?

i've seen this problem with older ibook systems that could not connect to newer 'g' or 'n' systems.

that is to say, which ibook, which wireless router are you you trying to connect to, and which version of wireless security (wep,wpa/wpa2, etc)

details matter in network setup! best of luck.

mrsir2009
Jul 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
what ibook running which airport card?

i've seen this problem with older ibook systems that could not connect to newer 'g' or 'n' systems.

that is to say, which ibook, which wireless router are you you trying to connect to, and which version of wireless security (wep,wpa/wpa2, etc)

details matter in network setup! best of luck.

Well, the router uses a WEP password, and its a white G3 iBook made in 2001 running Mac OSX panther. And I'm pretty sure the iBook has a wireless B card.

Thanks!

mgartner0622
Jul 18, 2010, 12:17 AM
Well, the router uses a WEP password, and its a white G3 iBook made in 2001 running Mac OSX panther. And I'm pretty sure the iBook has a wireless B card.

Thanks!

I have this same issue with the same computer. I use an Airport Extreme (Older model from 2007) and my iBook can never connect.
It's fully updated, and if I boot my iMac G5 from it in target disk mode, it recognizes and connects just fine.

I'm beginning to think some of the original airport cards had a firmware update that I missed out on and can only install in certain operationg systems.
I've found a couple Firmware upgrade files on Apples support site, but I usually have to be running OS 9, which is not installed on my iBook.

mrsir2009
Jul 18, 2010, 12:43 AM
I have this same issue with the same computer. I use an Airport Extreme (Older model from 2007) and my iBook can never connect.
It's fully updated, and if I boot my iMac G5 from it in target disk mode, it recognizes and connects just fine.

I'm beginning to think some of the original airport cards had a firmware update that I missed out on and can only install in certain operationg systems.
I've found a couple Firmware upgrade files on Apples support site, but I usually have to be running OS 9, which is not installed on my iBook.

I think it might be the OSX thing. Because I used to have a differnet iBook that is the VERY SAME model that I have now. And I had the same router and everything... but the one I used to have used OS9, not OSX. The OS9 one worked! And the one I have now that uses OSX doesn't work.

*By the way, I'm not using an Apple made router.

mgartner0622
Jul 18, 2010, 12:57 AM
I think it might be the OSX thing. Because I used to have a differnet iBook that is the VERY SAME model that I have now. And I had the same router and everything... but the one I used to have used OS9, not OSX. The OS9 one worked! And the one I have now that uses OSX doesn't work.

*By the way, I'm not using an Apple made router.

I don't think that the brand of the router matters in this case, however if using your iBook is very important to you, you can always disable your security for the time being if it's not to important.
This works for me. :)

mrsir2009
Jul 18, 2010, 01:23 AM
I don't think that the brand of the router matters in this case, however if using your iBook is very important to you, you can always disable your security for the time being if it's not to important.

My router's security?

4JNA
Jul 18, 2010, 11:37 AM

i don't have anything running 10.3 around me, but i know in 10.4, when using WEP, you need to go into network preference and instead of choosing 'WEP Password', you need to select either 'WEP ASCii" or 'WEP hex' depending on your password for the setup to connect. the difference between the two, ASCii is letters and numbers and characters like -/?, and Hex is numbers and a-f only. the only other problem i can think of is some routers use a 'pass phrase' which is then transformed into a hex password, so people think that is what should be typed in. a wep password will be either 5 or 13 characters long. count up what you know to be the correct password, and if it's different, that might be it.

... you can always disable your security for the time being if it's not to important.

a great idea at least to test the hardware. you need to log into the router and turn off the WEP password. that creates an open (unprotected) network. that would at least let you try and connect to see if the airport card is working if the steps above don't help. make sure to go put the password back after you're done testing...:)

mrsir2009
Jul 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
i don't have anything running 10.3 around me, but i know in 10.4, when using WEP, you need to go into network preference and instead of choosing 'WEP Password', you need to select either 'WEP ASCii" or 'WEP hex' depending on your password for the setup to connect. the difference between the two, ASCii is letters and numbers and characters like -/?, and Hex is numbers and a-f only. the only other problem i can think of is some routers use a 'pass phrase' which is then transformed into a hex password, so people think that is what should be typed in. a wep password will be either 5 or 13 characters long. count up what you know to be the correct password, and if it's different, that might be it.

a great idea at least to test the hardware. you need to log into the router and turn off the WEP password. that creates an open (unprotected) network. that would at least let you try and connect to see if the airport card is working if the steps above don't help. make sure to go put the password back after you're done testing...:)

Lol, well what could happen if I did have my password disabled so that the iBook could get on? The only risk would be other people using my network... And there aren't many people around in range. Only one person that lives next to me, but I know them and they have their own wireless :D

Anyway, can't you see all the computers on your network?