PDA

View Full Version : How safe is your computer?

MacBytes
Nov 11, 2004, 11:57 AM
Category: Polls
Link: How safe is your computer? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041111125713)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Trowaman
Nov 11, 2004, 12:11 PM
Wow, I got like a 25. I was hoping there would be a button ont he end saying "is you computer a Macintosh?" and have it be worth 100 points.

walkingmac
Nov 11, 2004, 12:12 PM
hope much does this really apply to us as mac users?

prechrchet
Nov 11, 2004, 12:14 PM
Wow, I got like a 25. I was hoping there would be a button ont he end saying "is you computer a Macintosh?" and have it be worth 100 points.

This is kinda what I was looking for.

Prechrchet

Sabbath
Nov 11, 2004, 12:36 PM

Yeah, it's pretty stupid not asking what OS and software people are running or even if they use their computer in complete isolation. I guess the questions are just not meant for mac users.

munkle
Nov 11, 2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, it's pretty stupid not asking what OS and software people are running or even if they use their computer in complete isolation. I guess the questions are just not meant for mac users.

You mean there are other computers besides Windows?!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

mkrishnan
Nov 11, 2004, 12:58 PM
You mean there are other computers besides Windows?!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

No, those are just toys. :p

I got 75 points. Probably should've gotten a little less, because some of the things, I don't do, but I do something almost like them. Like I don't have a text file of passwords, but I have something that could be used to match sites where I use the same password to each other, which a hacker could potentially use.

I lost most of my points because I don't always read terms of agreement...but then again I'm pretty selective about what I install.

AmigoMac
Nov 11, 2004, 02:23 PM
Like everybody else... I did the stupid test thinking I was going to be asked what OS I use... :mad: ...

un,dos,tres,catorce!!! Hello, Hello!! :rolleyes: , Who ordered the test? Symantec? :confused:

shamino
Nov 11, 2004, 02:26 PM
This "quiz" is a joke, right?

Mark you down for not using a software firewall but never ask if you have a hardware firewall (usually part of broadband routers.)

Mark you down for keeping passwords in a file, without asking if that file is encrypted or otherwise restricted.

Mark you down for opening attachments without first asking if you have a brain-dead e-mail program (like Outlook) that can't tell the difference between a program and a document.

But what can you expect from CNN? It's not like they actually know what they're talking about.

mkrishnan
Nov 11, 2004, 02:27 PM
Like everybody else... I did the stupid test thinking I was going to be asked what OS I use... :mad: ...

un,dos,tres,catorce!!! Hello, Hello!! :rolleyes: , Who ordered the test? Symantec? :confused:

I noticed too, that it told me to invest in a firewall, even though I said I already had one running...hmm...invest in a SYMANTEC firewall. ;) And I use *their* antivirus software! :p

bryanc
Nov 11, 2004, 03:40 PM
I suggested that they should add this question:

Are you using a Mac (Y/N)?

and award 80/85 for a yes.

Cheers

mrsebastian
Nov 11, 2004, 04:43 PM
that was really [bleeping] annoying! what would have been funny, if there was a download at the end to install free firewall/anti-virus software. shortly after installing, your computer just starts laughing in your face and then dies :D ... and this is on cnn?!

recursivejon
Nov 11, 2004, 10:05 PM
4. I always click "yes" when I'm prompted by my software vendors (like Microsoft) to update my security.
10 pts***True
0 pts***False
0 pts***I'm not sure

HAH!! Thats a huge security hole!
A large amount of malware pretends to be Microsoft security updates!

This poll is a mess.

winmacguy
Nov 11, 2004, 11:35 PM

Mark you down for not using a software firewall but never ask if you have a hardware firewall (usually part of broadband routers.)

Mark you down for keeping passwords in a file, without asking if that file is encrypted or otherwise restricted.

Mark you down for opening attachments without first asking if you have a brain-dead e-mail program (like Outlook) that can't tell the difference between a program and a document.

But what can you expect from CNN? It's not like they actually know what they're talking about.

Yes it is a bit. I posted it after seeing it on a link from MDN website. it is a kind of pointless but interesting survey..... Well only pointless if your a Mac user... ;)

mkrishnan
Nov 11, 2004, 11:45 PM

And that doesn't even count the large amount of malware that really *is* Microsoft security updates! :D

freiheit
Nov 12, 2004, 01:07 AM

Exactly my thinking. I lost 15 points for that.

Or saved in a non-standard location and with a non-standard file name so potential attackers wouldn't have any idea where to have their programs look for it -- the whole idea behind Mozilla's randomly generated profile names that put your bookmarks, cookies, etc. out of harms way.

And I have to wholeheartedly agree with the thought that not asking what OS you're using is the first major flaw in the quiz. I ran a PC for about 6 years with no anti-virus software, no firewall and no concern over privacy and security matters because I ran IBM's OS/2 which had no known virii (like MacOS X which I use now) and no known or publicized network vulnerabilities (resisted thousands of WinNuke and other crippling DDoS attacks that brought down Windows 98 and NT machines left and right).

In short, I fail to see what relevance this has for MacOS.

tech4all
Nov 12, 2004, 01:17 AM
4. I always click "yes" when I'm prompted by my software vendors (like Microsoft) to update my security.
10 pts***True
0 pts***False
0 pts***I'm not sure

This poll is a mess.

lol, that should be an automatic failure :p

Anywho, I got a 40. But I think most of us should get much higher since we got Macs and most of the questions don't really relate to Macs, security wise.

freiheit
Nov 12, 2004, 01:39 AM
lol, that should be an automatic failure :p

Ooh yeah. I ESPECIALLY don't click Yes when prompted by Microsoft programs. For crying out loud, they consider an update to their bundled email program (which I specifically tried to NOT install in the first place and never gave permission to for IE6 to install it) to be a Critical Update. Wouldn't be critical if I wasn't FORCED by MS to have it installed even when I have never used it in 3 years and never will.

What can you say? It's a quiz clearly aimed at people for whom "Windows XP For Dummies" is a must read book. Kinda says it all in that title.

wdlove
Nov 12, 2004, 11:10 AM
I got 50/50. Although it would be 75 if they they ask about a built in firewall with a wireless unit.