Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I just met a guy. He was very sad. He went to a folfk rock concert and apparently there was also slam-dancing. While "dancing", he lost either this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I had always thought on having such a product. He said, he liked using it to record all kind of sounds during his travels. He mentioned the device could be very sensitive, (if desired), in order to record very imperceptive sounds.

We shifted our conversation to photography after he told me that unknowingly during the slam-dance the recorder fell out of his pocket and got lost. The device was only two weeks old, and therefore he was a bit sad because of the loss!

Anyways, I don't have a recorder like that, but you may. I wonder how practical is it to have one. I am tempted to have one. I usually record voice, (interviews), with my laptop. I am a grad student, I use an ibook.

Any thoughts or comments are very welcome.

Thank you very much, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

model citizen

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
The Zooms are really great but hold out for a couple of months if you can because they're about to update the line and the Zoom H4 will be made smaller, lighter and significantly cheaper.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

So, you mean, this model, the Zoom H4n will be cheaper, and the new model that replaces it may be a bit cheaper ?? Cool : ) !!!

For when are more or less do you think that they will do the updates ??

Thank you again, kind regards,

igmolinav.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"If one has a Mac to record, does it make sense to have ...?"

Of course it makes sense.

Different tools for different jobs.

The "handheld" recorders can go places a Mac _couldn't_ go to.

And the recorded output of those devices is easily transferred into DAW software on the Mac, for editing/processing, etc.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
"If one has a Mac to record, does it make sense to have ...?"

Of course it makes sense.

Different tools for different jobs.

The "handheld" recorders can go places a Mac _couldn't_ go to.

And the recorded output of those devices is easily transferred into DAW software on the Mac, for editing/processing, etc.

+1

The zooms are good. Lots more pro portable recorders around now also. If you have an iPhone you can get a device to turn it into a good quality portable recorder too. It all comes down to what and why you are recording.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Hi Igmolinav,

I have a Zoom H4N and it is quite reasonable depending on what you are wishing to record.

The only issues I have with mine are:

1) It chews through batteries very fast - I made an external battery pack for mine that lasts significantly longer than the two AA batteries.

2) It has quite a high noise floor when used with an external mixer and mic - by this I mean depending on the way you use it, you will hear audible hiss when you play your recordings back. I'm not sure if this is an issue when it is used with the in-built XY mics, and it may not be, but I'd recommend trying one out in a store somewhere to determine whether it meets your requirements.

I hope this information is of use to you.

Cheers.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Hi Bassjunky,

Alesis make a device called the ProTrack which enables you to record straight into your iPhone or iPod Touch. That's the only one I know of though there may be others.

Cheers.

nesuser2

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2004
NW Ohio
I have to agree...looks like a neat toy. However, with it's price tag...it would have to remain a toy that somebody else has, maybe after a while it will come down. Sure would be interesting to take one for a spin...

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello,

Thank you to all of you for your answers : ) !!!

@ Model Citizen - Yes, I'll wait : ) !!!

@ Mowing Devil - I think I would get the H2 instead of the H4.

@ Fishrrman & deej999 - Portability is important for me!

@ Leddy - Yes, I am trying to avoid hiss as much as possible.

@ Musio - How is the recording quality of an iPhone compared to a zoom ??

Very kind regards,

igmolinav.

horiveira

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
The Tascam DR-07 is a really great device for recording audio. I use it to record concerts and some interviews. Tascam has quite a few handheld recorders to select from, ranging from ultra-slim to ones with XLR inputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.