PDA

View Full Version : Song transfer from Ipod to itunes problem

tchristie1
Nov 11, 2004, 09:55 PM
I'm new to this but I need help with my 4th Gen ipod. I'm a PC user and it recently crashed (hmm no surprise there then) unfortunately I lost all my songs in the process - they are all on the ipod though. I had to do a clean re-install of XP but I now I have the dilemma of how I'm supposed to get the songs off the ipod back into itunes. I read a post before that said if itunes is empty when I connect my ipod all the songs will be wiped off, is there anyway round this? Please help!

DanTekGeek
Nov 11, 2004, 10:03 PM
apple removed the ipod download option from itunes. do a google for "ipod download". there are multiple programs, and even a software hack that will help you out.

homerjward
Nov 11, 2004, 10:10 PM
i use http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/podutil.php. works quite well. it's "officially" 5 pounds but it just asks you, it doesn't impair functionality.

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 11, 2004, 11:25 PM
You could always just open up the hidden folder called ipod_control and then go to music and get it that way

MacBandit
Nov 12, 2004, 01:01 AM
apple removed the ipod download option from itunes. do a google for "ipod download". there are multiple programs, and even a software hack that will help you out.

Apple never offered a feature to get music off of the iPod. They did block software that did that though.

Here's a list of programs that do this in windows.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=ipod+copy&plt%5B%5D=windows&x=13&y=8

AmigoMac
Nov 12, 2004, 04:03 AM
Dude, you use XP and have no backup of your files... :eek:
Of course you have to be worried about your music, what else did you lose?

tchristie1
Nov 12, 2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone,

The software worked and my Itunes library is now safe on my HD again. (well as safe as it can be in XP!)
Ironic thing was that I was trying to backup my system when XP crashed - I managed to salvage some things but most were lost to the black hole of microsoft.
Including most notably my photographs and some Autocad drawings - im an architecture student and my tutor was not best pleased!
If only I could run Autocad on mac I would have been a convert a long time ago.

It may still happen - I'll make do with something like vectorworks.
Next PB here I come! :)