Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I have a 12" 1GHz PB. My PB freezes up during all the usual applications: mail, safari, itunes, anything really. It did start after I installed, Crucial 512 MB ram, Apple Production Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office 2004. I ran disk utility, reset pram, and daily/weekly/monthly maintenance. Do I have to reinstall everything one at a time, or should I send it to Apple Care? Any advice is appreciated

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Remove that extra Memory DIMM and see how it behaves, by the sounds of things I'd bet on it being that. If everything is OK without the DIMM installed get on the phone to Crucial and get it replaced.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Thank you for the reply, I removed the RAM and I'm just waiting for a crash ( or not......) thanks again

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
yep, sounds like a typical case of a bad RAM.

too bad, because crucial has been fine for for me. you were a little unlucky. :(

get a replacement asap, good luck!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I had the same problem with crucial twice! They're very good about working with you though however frustrating it may be.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
It's been a couple of hours now and no crash so I am sending the RAM back today. Thank you for the help, I can't believe how smart/amazing/kind the MacRumors community is!

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I had the same problem with ram from crucial (crashing all the time). It was bad ram, but they gladly sent me a replacement and it works fine! I would get ram from them again just because their customer service was so good.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Glad you figured it out. You might also think about installing things in waves...office, then wait a few days, then memory, etc. so you can more easily find you problems...luckily this time it was easy, but who knows next time.

good luck.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
flyfish29 said:
Glad you figured it out. You might also think about installing things in waves...office, then wait a few days, then memory, etc. so you can more easily find you problems...luckily this time it was easy, but who knows next time.

great point! I was not looking forward to uninstalling/reinstalling one at a time. Now I know :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.