PDA

View Full Version : LivingRoom for iPad v1.0 released!

maronoff
Jul 19, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that my most recent app, LivingRoom for iPad, is now available in the App Store! It's a simple, clean floor plan and interior design app, and, well, I think it's neat. It's currently just $4.99, so please, go with great haste! Try it today!

Here's the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=360858983&mt=8

Here's the full description from the App Store:

Simple, clean interior design. Right on your iPad.

LivingRoom for iPad gives you the tools to plan and design your space — from the floor plan to laying out furniture to choosing materials. Pick from a large library of objects to place in your rooms, keep notes for each project, even add custom textures from your photo library! LivingRoom for iPad lets you see, touch, and share your design ideas.

Easy to use:
- Saves your place automatically
- Generous undo/redo
- Large built-in database of structural and design items
- Easily move, resize, and rotate objects, add custom labels
- Add colors and textures to anything in your room
- Keep all your projects together and browse them easily in the built-in rooms gallery
- Share your work (send PDFs)

Easy to customize:
- Use your own fabrics and textures
- Keep notes for each project
- Set your units of measure
- Optionally hide all furniture and only show structural components.

GoCubsGo
Jul 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hrm, with a move in my future I may have to try this.
Is there a lite version perhaps?

maronoff
Jul 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
No, sorry, there's no lite version. Having just used it to redecorate the first floor of my house, though, I will review my own app and say I had a blast :-).

SCStevens04
Jul 20, 2010, 08:53 AM
Looks nice! Will buy as soon as someone bids on my house

blueacre
Jul 20, 2010, 11:01 AM
I like the idea, but I think $4.99 may be a bit overpriced... Maybe I'm spoiled by iphone apps, but even many more complicated ipad apps are less $.

I'll probably try it out either way at the end of the month when I move, but I think people would be more inclined to try it out if you dropped the price a bit (I know its silly to talk about a few bucks, but there's something psychological about it)...

maronoff
Jul 20, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, all. Version 1.0.1 has just gone up on the Store; it is a bug fix release to improve autosaving in some edge cases. Enjoy!

IrishVixen
Jul 20, 2010, 09:50 PM
Another vote here for either a lite version or a lower price. This might be EXACTLY what I've been looking for since I bought the iPad, but the way you have things set up, I can't tell.

The description says nothing about the types of rooms you can create. Nothing about being able to set up a room, for example, that isn't a standard square. I can infer that from the room shot that includes an angled window, but that's no guarantee I can set one up that has a window niche, or a bay window, or a bump in the wall that houses plumbing or a neighboring closet.
The screenshots don't show anything besides furniture. If I'm working on a kitchen or bath (the most common remodeling projects), I cannot tell from the pictures OR the description that such a thing is possible to design within this app.
The developer's website link is dead...at least when searching from the iPad. No alternate is listed in the description. The app support link works, but it provides virtually the same information as the app description...that is to say, not nearly enough for an app at this price point.

So right now, from my perspective, it looks promising, but since I can't easily tell that I can do what I need to with it, I'm not willing to drop $5 on it as an impulse buy. If there had been a lite version with limited functions (such as no saves/exports/etc.), I would've downloaded that demo tonight, then purchased the full version right away if it suited my needs. Same thing at $2.99, wouldn't've thought twice even not knowing for certain if it would work for the bathroom remodel I'm currently thinking about. To snag me as an impulse buyer at this price point, you need a whole lot more information about what the app is capable of so I know I'm not wasting my money.

It looks lovely though, and I hope to see a more detailed description uploaded to the app store soon.

Best wishes,
V

maronoff
Jul 21, 2010, 02:05 AM
IrishVixen -- thank you for the detailed feedback! The developer's site link should be fixed now (for some reason, Apple decided to save every piece of info except that when going from v1.0 to v1.0.1). In answer to a couple of your questions:

* You certainly can create non-square rooms. Walls and windows (including bay windows, which are available) can be rotated to whatever angle is required when they're placed in a room. Walls can also be of any length, so you can easily create a niche or a bump in the wall. I agree that this isn't clear from the description, and I'll change the info to reflect this.

* The app does include objects for kitchen and bath remodeling (sinks, bathtub, shower, cabinets, appliances, etc.). Again, perhaps the wording or screenshots can be changed accordingly.

* I hear you about the lite version.

This is all good info to have -- one of the best things about the App Store is being able to communicate so easily with the users who are (or aren't, for whatever reason) actually using LivingRoom day to day.

maronoff
Jul 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
I've posted a User Guide on LivingRoom's website, for those who are interested, but want to know a little more about its capabilities. It can be accessed from the main page of the site:

http://littlepeople.net/~maronoff/livingroom/

Thanks again for checking out LivingRoom!

MikeRadio
Jul 25, 2010, 04:38 PM
I bought this program and it is really something.... Simple layout program you don't have to be an architect to use!

One suggestion... Can there be a "starting question" which each new room to input the floor space (ie 9' x 12.3') And then the canvas adjusts to this size?

Right now the canvas is ipad sized always and you work within there

Unless I am missing something?

Good work

Mike

PS - I dont complain about high prices... not for nothing on your PC or MAC programs were 30-50 dollars and still are! I an app is $5 or $10 even.. thats really not a lot considering the way it used to be... everyone wants free apps (agree a lite version as a "sample" will bring people in... Maybe one day they will make it so purchased apps can be "returned" after a day or 2 so people can sample and developers will not lie about deatures and things.... I know you can do it now but it is pretty tedious.. one click return would be great for apple to implement.

maronoff
Jul 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much, MikeRadio! (Feel free to let the App Store know, too :-)) FYI, the canvas is really just a general area to work in -- you define the actual size of the room by adding walls, etc. You can adjust the canvas size in the room settings menu (if you want a larger or smaller space to start with). Having an opening question is a good idea, though. I'll look into that for a future update.

Also, LivingRoom 1.1 is now in for review with Apple; it's a pretty substantial update, with a number of changes to make positioning and sizing more accurate (and other changes based on user feedback)!