PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter (real life)

crazycat
Jul 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
I have watched Dog the bounty hunter a few times, i do not get it how someone who is not a cop can arrest me, can they physically restrain me and take me in? Where i live if someone laid a hand on me i can defend myself and i guess one of as is going to get a beating :).

I understand that these people have a debt but should this no be something the police business?

Hellhammer
Jul 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
It seems legal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_hunter#Laws_in_the_U.S.). Rights depend on the state though.

mscriv
Jul 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
Is Bounty Hunting Legal?

Yes, bounty hunting is legal, although state laws vary with regard to the rights of bounty hunters. In general, they have greater authority to arrest than even the local police. "When the defendant signs the bail bond contract, they do something very important. They waive their constitutional rights," says Burton. "They agree that they can be arrested by the bail bond agent. And they waive extradition, allowing bondsmen to take them to any state."
All the bounty hunter needs to make an arrest is a copy of the "bail piece" (the paperwork indicating that the person is a fugitive) and, in some states, a certified copy of the bond. He or she doesn't need a warrant, can enter private property unannounced and doesn't have to read a fugitive his or her Miranda rights before making the arrest. But there are rules and regulations to the job. The bail bond contract gives bounty hunters the right to enter the home of a fugitive, but only after establishing without a doubt that the person lives there. They cannot enter the homes of friends or family members to look for the fugitive.

Some states require that bounty hunters be licensed; other states require that bounty hunters register with them. Only a handful of states -- Kentucky, Illinois and Oregon -- prohibit bounty hunters entirely from making bail arrests. In these states, bounty hunters need to have a court order. Then, the judge will usually order the local police to arrest the fugitive, and the bounty hunter can request that the prisoner be remanded into his or her custody.

The one thing a bounty hunter can never do is take the hunt outside of the United States. Bounty hunters can be arrested -- even shot -- if they stray across international borders.

LINK (http://money.howstuffworks.com/bounty-hunting1.htm)

It is extremely dangerous in that most people who are willing to skip court don't want to be brought in. But, as they have signed their rights away in this matter, any action they take that violates the law (assault, etc.) would be a new charge as the bounty hunter is operating within the confines of the law.

Tomorrow
Jul 19, 2010, 01:29 PM
Licensed bounty hunters have been given the legal authority by law enforcement and the judicial system to do what they do, within their bounds.

Technically they're not cops, but they've been authorized by the cops to bring you in. Deputized, in a kinda-sorta way.

awmazz
Jul 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
When the defendant signs the bail bond contract, they do something very important. They waive their constitutional rights.

I would have assumed that's not even possible? Can a person actually legally denounce the Consitution as not applying to them? Does not the Constitution override any other legal document, signed or unsigned?

The logical next step would be can they then also legally waive any other parts of the Constitution just by signing it away? Can a State therefore not waive the 2nd Amendment rights within their borders by simply signing a bail bond contract which says so, and hence ban guns?