PDA

View Full Version : best offline news app?

haganaga
Jul 19, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hey folks,

I have a wifi iPad to save some $$ but the only downside thus far is not being able to get much news to read offline when I'm on the bus on my way to work. Can you guys recommend some news sources with apps that I can download/update at home before I leave that I can read offline on my commute? USA Today and WSJ are pretty cool but hoping for more content as sometime I scroll through those quickly and don't find something interesting to read, then the iPad goes right back in my bag.

Thanks!

haganaga
Jul 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hey folks,

I have a wifi iPad to save some $$ but the only downside thus far is not being able to get much news to read offline when I'm on the bus on my way to work. Can you guys recommend some news sources with apps that I can download/update at home before I leave that I can read offline on my commute? USA Today and WSJ are pretty cool but hoping for more content as sometime I scroll through those quickly and don't find something interesting to read, then the iPad goes right back in my bag.

Thanks!

Well, the lack of responses has led me to believe there isn't a good one out there. So this morning I just used Pulse to tap the stories I was interested in and sent to Instapaper for reading on the bus.

I wish there was a better way. Would be best to just open an app like USA Today but with better content. Nothing against USA Today but it isn't exactly investigative journalism and often times, WSJ is too much. I need a comfortable medium.

bluedog3401
Jul 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
Well, the lack of responses has led me to believe there isn't a good one out there. So this morning I just used Pulse to tap the stories I was interested in and sent to Instapaper for reading on the bus.

I wish there was a better way. Would be best to just open an app like USA Today but with better content. Nothing against USA Today but it isn't exactly investigative journalism and often times, WSJ is too much. I need a comfortable medium.

The WSJ does it right. The interface is great for reading, it caches the articles and photos (not the embedded videos though, rightfully so I think). There are plenty of articles that DO NOT cost the subscription to read. I just wonder who/how they decide what should be available and what gets 'unlocked' only for subscribers.

There are some RSS readers that can cache, but I've found depending on the feed you only get the small summaries of the RSS. If its straight news you are after, at least for me, the WSJ does it just right. I've even considered the subscription which I NEVER would have for a print newspaper.

superflush
Jul 21, 2010, 05:18 AM
Can you guys recommend some news sources with apps that I can download/update at home before I leave that I can read offline on my commute?

You should use Instapaper (http://www.instapaper.com/faq).

Also, the NPR app (http://www.npr.org/services/mobile/ipad.php) let's you pick specific sections to always store offline.
You might also like Wikipanion Plus (http://www.wikipanion.net/wikipanionplus_features.html?ipad).

t.steve
Jul 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
Instapaper rocks...Fluent News seems great as well

cfs123
Jul 22, 2010, 08:08 AM
BBC and Fluent News. Before I commute to work, I open the apps and they download the most current stories. You can then read the stories with no Internet connection, you just can't watch video and see some of the pictures in the article.

haganaga
Jul 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
BBC and Fluent News. Before I commute to work, I open the apps and they download the most current stories. You can then read the stories with no Internet connection, you just can't watch video and see some of the pictures in the article.

Just grabbed Fluent News, let it update and shut off my wifi on the iPad. Works like a charm. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

JTravers
Jul 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
ReadItLater + Digest view does it for me. I tag what I want to read at work and at home on my laptop. Then I can read at my leisure whenever I want -- online or offline.