PDA

View Full Version : Tim McCarver Compares Yankees FO to Nazi's during oldtimers day

macfan881
Jul 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/19/will-comment-lead-to-tim-mccarver-being-airbrushed-at-fox/

absoulty disgusting I'm boycotting Fox on MLB till they do something with McCarver either he apologies or susspended/canned

macquariumguy
Jul 19, 2010, 03:50 PM
I didn't know the Nazis had an oldtimers day.

quagmire
Jul 19, 2010, 03:54 PM
Analogy withstanding, he does have a point. The Yankees have ignored Torre as part of their legacy ever since their nasty parting back in 2007.

The Yankees are doing the same with in regards to the Old Stadium.

macfan881
Jul 19, 2010, 04:16 PM
Analogy withstanding, he does have a point. The Yankees have ignored Torre as part of their legacy ever since their nasty parting back in 2007.

The Yankees are doing the same with in regards to the Old Stadium.

I think it has to do with the book Ive read some of it and i still think that the book was to soon to be written had Joe written it probably 3 years from now things would have been diffrent.

leomac08
Jul 19, 2010, 05:26 PM
macnut isn't gonna like this.;)

Gregg2
Jul 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's a bit of a stretch to conclude that he was comparing the Yankees' brass to the Nazis. He was merely comparing a method of eradicating someone's legacy used by the Nazis, and Stalin, et.al. to what the Yankees have done regarding Torre. The inference has to be drawn. It wasn't made. He did not say "Yankees' executives are like Nazis." Yes, it's necessary for him to say it directly to draw that conclusion.

hmmfe
Jul 19, 2010, 08:11 PM
If I had a nickel for every time Ockham's razor was misused in an argument and a penny for every time people purposely misunderstand the subject of an analogy (presumably to get their daily fix of outrage), I'd be able to pay off America's national debt and have enough money left over to pay for BPs forthcoming legal bills.

GuyNextDoor
Jul 20, 2010, 10:20 AM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/19/will-comment-lead-to-tim-mccarver-being-airbrushed-at-fox/

absoulty disgusting I'm boycotting Fox on MLB till they do something with McCarver either he apologies or susspended/canned

Over-react much?

Besides, it's not called "The Evil Empire" for nothing.

nickweston
Jul 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
what a whiny bunch of spineless, humorless co-dependent people we've become in America.
If you know history, you know he was talking about Stalin & others who "erased" generals & others who were ousted or assassinated. They then airbrushed them out of all photos.
So I guess that means that the Steinbrenner was Hitler and McCarver approved of the death camps right?
I thought it was actually funny and harmless. But I guess at every moment, someone has to be offended or hurt.
What's happend to this country?!!!! A bunch of 7 year olds running for mommy.

Oh, and Macfan-please go somewhere else with your hysterics.

MacNut
Jul 20, 2010, 12:30 PM
macnut isn't gonna like this.;)In a way I agree with McCarver, While Torre may have worn out his welcome he did bring us 4 championships. Torre should have been able to leave on his own terms and both sides handled it badly. The Yankees wanted to fire him but they wanted Torre to fall on the sward. Torre was bitter so he wrote the book. He even admitted that the book probably was a bad idea.

The Yankees are wrong to not even acknowledge what Torre did and a lot of why they started to lose was because of the teams they gave Torre to work with. I admit that It was probably time for a new leader of the team but Torre was still due respect for what he accomplished during his time there.

McCarver may have gone over the top in his comments but he was not totally wrong.

The Yankees knew that Torre would not accept a 1 year deal so he walked. That is what they wanted, they had no intentions of giving his an extension. They wanted to take the team in a new directions and that is fine, but don't treat Torre like dirt on the way out. They either should have fired him or told him they were not going to rehire him. They decided to string him along for as long as they could.