PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Hard Drive in G5 DP 1.8

MasonAtom
Nov 12, 2004, 11:09 AM
I want to add a second hard drive to my 1.8GHz DP G5 (rev. A). Does the internal drive that I buy have to be a serial ATA drive, or can it also accept a regular ATA drive as well?

jsw
Nov 12, 2004, 11:13 AM
I want to add a second hard drive to my 1.8GHz DP G5 (rev. A). Does the internal drive that I buy have to be a serial ATA drive, or can it also accept a regular ATA drive as well?It has to be SATA.

By the way, installing the second drive is a piece of cake. The connector is tucked away for you - just "unplug" it to connect it to your new drive, screw on the little slider knobs which are currently screwed into the second drive bay, and away you go. Three minutes, no tools.

nina
Nov 12, 2004, 12:35 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, MasonAtom, but I had a question that was along the same lines.

When I buy a PowerMac, I'm going with the stock hard drive option. Soon after that, I'm hoping to add a 250 GB SATA HD. My question is, how do I image one hard drive to another, so the added 250GB HD will now be my boot drive, and the 80GB that the PowerMac shipped with can be formatted as a scratch drive?

Blue Velvet
Nov 12, 2004, 12:43 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, MasonAtom, but I had a question that was along the same lines.

When I buy a PowerMac, I'm going with the stock hard drive option. Soon after that, I'm hoping to add a 250 GB SATA HD. My question is, how do I image one hard drive to another, so the added 250GB HD will now be my boot drive, and the 80GB that the PowerMac shipped with can be formatted as a scratch drive?

Use Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free and you can get it here (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html)

mslifkin
Nov 12, 2004, 01:12 PM
Use Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free and you can get it here (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html)
Absolutely correct; Carbon Copy Cloner works like a charm. Once you've cloned your 80 gig onto the 250 you'll have to set the 250 as your startup drive. Then you can wipe the 80 and use it for whatever you want. Good luck.

Regards,
Marc

jared_kipe
Nov 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
You can instal a normal pATA drive if you run it off the same channel as the DVD drive is on. All you need is a really long double pATA cable and a wire that splits the power from the DVD drive to go to the new drive.

ahoover
Nov 13, 2004, 02:13 PM
I'm looking to add a second 250GB SATA drive to my G5 and wanted to ask what model/manufacturer drive comes in the G5 standard. I thought it would be easier just to get an exact duplicate of this drive to run a mirrored RAID on the machine.

TIA

Al

mklos
Nov 13, 2004, 08:09 PM
You can instal a normal pATA drive if you run it off the same channel as the DVD drive is on. All you need is a really long double pATA cable and a wire that splits the power from the DVD drive to go to the new drive.

Thats not recommended at all and I don't think you'll ever find a cable with enough room in between the IDE connectors on the cable to fit one on the SuperDrive and one on the other hard drive which about 4 to 6 inches away.Then still have enough cable to run around the back of the PowerMac to keep the airflow going the way its supposed to. Ain't gonna happen!