Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Am looking at getting a skin probably from decalgirl.com.

What type of skins do they make? Orange peel? I had a zaggs skin on but I hated the effect. I like a real crystal clear skin.

How is the adhesion? My second skin was a boxwave and the edges and around the circle for the front camera would never stay on. And their customer service has been really slow and I am kinda pissed with them.

How are the graphics? I was leaning towards dark power or something like that.

What kind of recommendation would people give for this company?

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I bought skins from DecalGirl for my 3GS and loved them. I rarely used them on the front, though--I bought them mainly to use under my iSkin Solo-type cases, both as protection and to show through the case as part of an overall design. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They have TONS of designs, too.

Oh, I forgot--also had one of their skins for my iPod Touch, and I did use it on the front. No problems with it ever peeling up or being difficult to line up, though granted that was working with only having to line it up around the home button.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
No, it goes around the screen, covering the black borders. I'd imagine you could simply stick it on top of a normal screen protector, though, if that's what you were looking for. I don't use screen protectors.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
They are apparently similar to the Gelaskins. I heard of them yesterday and went on a live chat to ask some questions. Here's what I learned:

1. They do not go on the screen, simply around it with 2 narrow strips connecting the top and bottom sections.

2. There is no actual screen protection to the touch part of the screen.

3. Like Gelaskins they are a vinyl decal that you can reposition slightly in the putting on process before pressing into place and they remove without leaving any residue.

4. They are a dry - hence vinyl press on - application.

** I would not recommend putting one on top of a static cling film screen protector because if you have to reposition during the initial placement that could get really tricky. If you are putting it on over a wet application screen protector skin, that would be different. But I'm still not sure I'd recommend that.

Differences, pros and cons to the Decalgirl vs. Gelaskins. (I have Gelaskins btw and haven't used Decalgirl.)

Decalgirl Pros:

1. Decal has sides that come down the narrow black strips on the screen.

2. Decal has top and bottom pieces that cover the entire metal band, not just the sides.

3. Available in Matte (non-glossy) version.

4. No checkerboard effect can be seen in decal at any light.

5. Some skins can be cheaper than Gelaskins. $10 vs. $15

Decalgirl Cons:

1. The side strips have breaks at the black antenna bars, so it doesn't do anything to help the antenna bridging issue.

2. No interactive web-based Create Your Own tool. If you want a custom skin, you send them a URL to the artwork and I presume they send you a proof.

3. Custom artwork costs more.

4. The sim card tray is cut out on the side strip, which in my opinion is not necessary.

Gelaskins Pros:

1. Their online Create You Own tool is awesome. Just upload the artwork and lay it out. You get to see it an manipulate it any way you want. Then order.

2. No added cost for custom art.

3. Their side strips cover the black band and sim card tray. By covering the black band you get some alleviation but not all from the antenna attenuation issue.

4. They offer a buy 3 get 1 free promo.

Gelaskins Cons:

1. The side strips do not cover the top and bottom of the metal band. (I didn't find this to be a problem.)

2. The decal does show a glossy checkerboard effect which really can only be seen when the light catches it a certain way.

3. The front piece does not cover the two narrow black strips on either side of the touchscreen.

I ordered from Gelaskins before hearing of Decalgirl, and given that I went with 4 customs, I am glad I did because of their Create Your Own tool. I am quite happy with the product and from my understanding they are both good products. They are designed to be one time use. They shouldn't peel off, and if they do start coming up at the edges, you will still get 4-8 months out of it before it does. Some past users have said that carefully removing the Gelaskins and placing it back on a slick sticker surface can preserve them for changing from one design to another and back.

Here is a link to pictures of my Gelaskin.

As you can see there is no checkerboard effect in these images, but I can see it in certain sunlight and fluorescent light at the right angle.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Well I ended up picking up a couple skins this morning. So I will report back once I have them installed. I think I might try cutting down a screen protector that I have lying around from the original iphone days to cover the screen itself. Worth a shot. Appreciate all the feedback.

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Just installed it and it was worth every penny. It looks even better than I thought it was and the pieces are 99.9 % accurate. You can see just a sliver of antenna along the sides if you look closely, but I probably could have done a better job.

The DecalGirl comes with a piece for the home button, but I'm not so sure they intended for it to be used as the home button. I think they just didn't bother removing the cutout. Using it makes the home button kinda spongy.

It actually looks better in person, but I decided the front vinyl wasn't my taste so I removed it and only left the back and sides.

As for the reception problem, I was convinced it helped a lot, at first... I can always go from 5 bars to 1 holding the phone in my palm, but after installing the skin, I could only get it down to 4 bars. I was thrilled, but a second stab at it and I was able to lose all but one bar.

(I plan to copy and paste this in a couple other threads, word for word, but I don't work for DecalGirl. I have seen very little info on the iPhone 4 DecalGirl skins, so I thought I'd contribute by sharing my experience)

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0733-1.jpg

IMG_0731-1.jpg

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I had glossy DecalGirl skins on my iPhone 3G and loved them. I got a matte version for my iPad, and I found out that I like the matte way better. It looks and feels cleaner to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.