Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingthias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I made this portfolio website and I wanted to see what you guys thought.
A lot of the the photos are just example photos and other things lack functionality but I just want to see what you think about the design and fancybox based infrastructure.

http://kingthias.vndv.com

I plan on getting a domain name setup soon.
Tell me what you think.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The scroll bar, as part of the website - not in the browser, for the bottom half of the site where the little photos are is not intuitive. I only noticed that there were more thumbnails on a 2nd row by accident.

I like the use of monochrome, except for when something is highlighted, though I'm not thrilled by that shade of purple. Though perhaps it will tie into something else later.

I am not a designer by profession, but as a photographer I am always looking at design. When I need to design something I use CRAP
Contrast
Repetition
Alignment
Proximity

I love alignment.... so I notice that this site doesn't have much. The big graphic, with the starburst, and the thumbnails are centred. The icons on the top are not centred or aligned with anything. Since your text is right justified, draw an temporary vertical line on the right side of the text, just touching the letters. Then align the right side of the rightmost icon on that line, and the right side of the rightmost thumbnails on that line. That, I think, will go a long ways to making the site looke more professional.

I'm also reading your other thread, on a website logo. This site is minimally classic and clean... your initial attempts were busy and not-classic (the ideas might be worth pursuing for other websites, but not this one). Take one of the suggestions offered and do play with some ideas that involve a wordmark using Helvetica - could just be a few letters, like what Adobe does for Photoshop = PS.

Good Luck.

kingthias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Hey, Thanks for the response.
The unaligned icons are really annoying me,
I didn't intentionally place them randomly just when
I try to align right and have a margin but it for some
reason doesn't work so I'm stuck with a 75%
space from the left which at least looks half decent.

Also, I couldn't decide on a good accent color,
any recommendations?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
This is a good place to start, re the colour thing.

If you can't move the icons, then perhaps make the big grey box thinner so that the edge of the box lines up with the icons. If you can't make the box thinner, then you can make the box "appear" thinner by cloning the white gradation area that appears behind the box into the left and right hand edges of the box - making the grey part of the box appear thinner.

As I said, I'm not a designer - so I can't help with the "how" bit....

kingthias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Thanks a lot.
Great link and I think I'll also make the banner part
thinner.

kingthias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
For the new accent do you think either
This color or This color
would be good?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
I've put a PDF up on your other thread. Realized after I posted it that you may not be checking that thread as you seem to be getting a pretty rough ride there.... anyway, check it out and find my post from this evening with the PDF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.