PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I couldn't pay my bill and AT&T is going to shut me down.

LoneRangerinDar
Jul 19, 2010, 09:38 PM
I couldnt pay and they are going to cancel my service. Basically I want to know what happens when my iPhone doesn't have service? Will people that call/text me think I am ignoring them? Does it notify them that my service has been shut down? Will their texts even send? Once I have my service restored will I be able to read all of my missed texts/receive the missed calls?

jav6454
Jul 19, 2010, 09:38 PM
Dial 611 on your iPhone to pay your bill on time.

Yes, your line goes dead and your parties get the "I'm sorry, but the number you dialed is out of service." Texts will go thru, but you won't get them.

LoneRangerinDar
Jul 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
I will never get them, even once I restore my service?

jav6454
Jul 19, 2010, 09:43 PM

You might, but don't count on it.

BadMoon
Jul 19, 2010, 09:43 PM

Ugh! Not to be rude but if you can't afford a cell phone bill then you have much much more to worry about then mission texts.

dave420
Jul 19, 2010, 09:45 PM
I couldnt pay and they are going to cancel my service. Basically I want to know what happens when my iPhone doesn't have service? Will people that call/text me think I am ignoring them? Does it notify them that my service has been shut down? Will their texts even send? Once I have my service restored will I be able to read all of my missed texts/receive the missed calls?

My service has been suspended a few times because of not paying my bill, usually after 30-60 days late. People who call will hear something like "the caller is not accepting calls at this time." There is no similar reply for text messages, so it will be kinda like you are ignoring them. I don't think it will send you missed texts when your service is restored.

Sleazy E
Jul 19, 2010, 09:45 PM
Ugh! Not to be rude but if you can't afford a cell phone bill then you have much much more to worry about then mission texts.

Haha exactly what I was thinking

samcraig
Jul 19, 2010, 09:46 PM
But what if those job offers come pouring in via Text?! ;)

LoneRangerinDar
Jul 19, 2010, 09:46 PM
Does ATT shut off at midnight?

BadMoon
Jul 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
Haha exactly what I was thinking

It's those damn mission texts! Haha stupid spell check! LOL!

palmerc2
Jul 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
It's those damn mission texts! Haha stupid spell check! LOL!

Speaking of spell check? Have you noticed that spell check has been a serious pain on the i4 / 4.0?? Is it just me or what???

It fixes vids to bids
Always puts he'll instead of hell
So many other things
And who the hell is Judy??? I want to say "just" sheesh!!

SpaceKitty
Jul 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
How long have you had the account and have you paid late in the past few months? If you always pay late, they will likely shut down your account in about 7 days. If you were always on time and this is the first time you were late, you will probably have about a month till they shut the account down. You will have a short time after that to pay the bill and have the account reinstated. Make sure you pay the bill, it gets higher and higher each month you ignore what is due and eventually you won't be able to pay it at all. it takes about 18 months before AT&T will allow a new account after that happens.

Like others have said, they get the message that the phone number is no longer in service. Service seems to be cut off around midnight or a few hours after, usually around the time the AT&T computers update.

BadMoon
Jul 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
Speaking of spell check? Have you noticed that spell check has been a serious pain on the i4 / 4.0?? Is it just me or what???

It fixes vids to bids
So many other things

The hell to he'll is killing me! What the he'll?

TheBama
Jul 19, 2010, 10:03 PM

No. I got shut off at like 2 in the afternoon once when I fell behind. Had to call 611 and electronically pay it and it was back on in 10 minutes.

palmerc2
Jul 19, 2010, 10:28 PM
The hell to he'll is killing me! What the he'll?

He'll is short for "he will"
Similar to can't for can not
Etc

ddoolin
Jul 19, 2010, 10:29 PM
This thread is lolz. :)

garminaddict
Jul 19, 2010, 10:59 PM
I like how the problem is that people will think the OP is ignoring them.

When the real issue is that they bought a $200 phone and can't afford to pay $85 a month for it.

Applejuiced
Jul 19, 2010, 11:07 PM

No, they will be gone and never received.
Call up AT&T and try to talk to them and let them know you will be a little late with the payment and see if they put a note on your account and not shut it off right away.
If you're always late they probably wont help you much but worth a try.

renewed
Jul 19, 2010, 11:12 PM
After this year I'm really freaked out to see the Jun and Jul 2011 newbies. :rolleyes:

This guy is flippin' troll guys. No one can be stupid enough to ask those questions.

ddoolin
Jul 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
After this year I'm really freaked out to see the Jun and Jul 2011 newbies. :rolleyes:

This guy is flippin' troll guys. No one can be stupid enough to ask those questions.

You VASTLY underestimate the sheer power of human stupidity.

Fernandez21
Jul 19, 2010, 11:39 PM
Don't be afraid and just call AT&T and tell them what's up. There's been acouple of time where I couldn't make my payment on time and called them up before hand and worked something out (like pay half by the due date then the other half two weeks later type of deal) and one time they even credited me because I had gone way over my minutes and couldn't afford the overages they credited the overages back and I only payed what I normal did. Att has very good cs, you just have to actually call them.

Applejuiced
Jul 19, 2010, 11:42 PM

True, you'd be suprised as worst things like this come up very often:D

jav6454
Jul 19, 2010, 11:44 PM
True, you'd be suprised as worst things like this come up very often:D

Or the fact that OP is more interested in getting his SMS/call logs rather than paying the bill and avoiding long term credit report harm.

pullfocus
Jul 19, 2010, 11:48 PM
You VASTLY underestimate the sheer power of human stupidity.^This^

Screw biofuel and electric. If we could somehow mine the capacity for human ignorance and stupidity into a viable source of sustainable energy, we'd be good until the end of the world.

indianavtx
Jul 19, 2010, 11:48 PM

Did any of your DNA not end up on the sheets? :rolleyes:

Applejuiced
Jul 19, 2010, 11:54 PM
Or the fact that OP is more interested in getting his SMS/call logs rather than paying the bill and avoiding long term credit report harm.

Very true:D

insidmal
Jul 20, 2010, 01:01 AM
your freaking out about not paying your cell phone bill on time yet you still have the internet...

MICHAELSD
Jul 20, 2010, 02:18 AM
They'll restore service very quickly once you pay. Try not to not have your service cancelled because you get charged with a $36 fee and that's a decent chance you'll lose your sought-after unlimited data plan and be forced onto one of AT&T's new data plans.

AppleKash
Jul 20, 2010, 03:55 AM
Did you ask them about a two part payment arrangement? They'll restore your service right away, just be sure to honor the terms.

XJ13sd
Jul 20, 2010, 04:41 AM
Sell the iPhone, pay the bill.. Buy a cheaper phone so you can actually use it. This guy is like someone who buys an expensive car to impress people and can't drive it because the insurance is higher than a cheaper car.

Wicked1
Jul 20, 2010, 05:19 AM
REALLY? What do you expect donations?

Listen I know it sucks but if you can't pay your bill maybe it is time to go to a basic phone and makes some priority to your expenses.

There has to be a better way I am just not sure what you expected to get from this post.

andybno1
Jul 20, 2010, 05:23 AM
I'm Curious to what the OP wanted help with lol was he wanting donations to pay his bill?

MacGiver
Jul 20, 2010, 05:25 AM
My wife wants me to buy a Porshe 911 otherwise she leaves me...can you please help? :D

BadMoon
Jul 20, 2010, 06:24 AM
He'll is short for "he will"
Similar to can't for can not
Etc

I know what it means. ;) LOL!

mmyers0520
Jul 20, 2010, 06:30 AM
how's the view from your pedestal?

I'm Curious to what the OP wanted help with
:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm thinking (and by 'think' I mean 'know', since he stated reasons why in his original post) that he wanted to know what happened to incoming calls/texts if his service gets shut off. Looks like he got his answer, albeit with the usual side dish of sarcasm and disdain from everyone. Gawd and I thought the vwvortex forums were rough on people. [and yes I didn't join til june2010...doesn't mean that was my first day reading this forum]

And maybe it's been a tough month? Unexpected/emergency expenses maybe? Changing his handset or making adjustments in his lifestyle isn't really for any of us to decide. If he's having trboule with one bill...not really for any of us to critisize. OP, I am also one of the poor unfortunates who have worried about bills in the past - good luck sorting this out man :thumbup:

Tarzanman
Jul 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
Start using google voice.

You will get texts late, but you will still get them, even if your number gets disabled temporarily.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
Seriously?

Take the damn phone back to the store and use the money you get from the refund to pay your bill. This isn't a difficult concept.

squeakr
Jul 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
Seriously?

Take the damn phone back to the store and use the money you get from the refund to pay your bill. This isn't a difficult concept.

I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, but I love how everyone assumes that 1) he/she just bought the phone (come on people the iPhone has been out for several years now, and maybe he was even given a hand me down from a relative or friend. No where does it say I just bought the phone and now can't pay my bill scenario), and 2) that every post on here is about the iPhone 4 (some people, believe it or not, are still using older devices).

I do find it refreshing that the OP wasn't asking how to rip off the system yet everyone judged as such. Just answer the question if you know and move on if not. No reason to berate the individual, as in this economy it is easy to be in fat city one day and then be faced with the same situation the next. I was laid off last year, and although I never got behind on my bill, I started to wonder what would happen if I couldn't afford it. It is a very real fact of life in this economy.

mmyers0520
Jul 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
^+1

hope everyone bashes you all when you have a money issue...stop judging and offering 'advice'

mmyers0520
Jul 20, 2010, 08:47 AM
Seriously?

very simple concept...but very shortsighted. and this is if OP has an iphone 4 to begin with. and then he has to buy a new handset. and nets not even half of what his refund would be

STEVESKI07
Jul 20, 2010, 08:49 AM
Is this thread a deleted scene from the movie Idiocracy?

mmyers0520
Jul 20, 2010, 08:51 AM
yep. bye.

TheAppleGeek
Jul 20, 2010, 08:52 AM

What the heck?

I have to agree with others - were you expecting donations? (I'm sorry, but this thread is hysterical. Some of these posts are making me laugh.)

squeakr
Jul 20, 2010, 08:55 AM
What the heck?

I think the correct phrasing should have been "Does AT&T disconnect service at midnight?" instead of the way it was phrased leading people to believe that OP meant does AT$T close CSR service at midnight.

TheAppleGeek
Jul 20, 2010, 08:57 AM
I think the correct phrasing should have been "Does AT&T disconnect service at midnight?" instead of the way it was phrased leading people to believe that OP meant does AT$T close CSR service at midnight.

I figured that's what he (she?) meant.

eternlgladiator
Jul 20, 2010, 09:25 AM
I think you're all overlooking the additional fact that the OP simultaneously posted another post wanting to buy an unsubsidized white iPhone when they come out. Sounds like a dumb little kid. He needs to get his **** straight.

squeakr
Jul 20, 2010, 09:34 AM
Or a person with serious spending problems ( if that is the case). Sounds like my MOL. She needs to have everything the latest and greatest and the same as everyone she sees around her, but can't pay for anything (she is disabled and on fixed income). She uses whatever credit she has to purchase new things rather than straighten out her current financial situation (I can't believe the number of people lining up to give her more credit, read prey on her, and she just keeps accepting. I am across the nation so there is nothing I can do to help her as the damage is done before I ever find out). The hole is so deep now, that she can't even see the light of day.

Shanewilliams
Jul 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
No, they will be gone and never received.
Call up AT&T and try to talk to them and let them know you will be a little late with the payment and see if they put a note on your account and not shut it off right away.
If you're always late they probably wont help you much but worth a try.

If you call them before the service is cut off and more then a months bill they will gladly extend your bill due date by 14 days I believe it is. And usually if you call them on day 14 they will extend it a few more days. I've had to do this twice since I had my neck surgery back in April and have yet to have a problem or service cut off. Right now some weeks are better then others and I work my full 40 hours some weeks I don't. I'm not sure that this will work if you are a newer customer. I've been with AT&T since they were bellsouth mobility I believe. So, been a customer for well over 10 years now and have always paid my bill well before the due date. As long as you've been on time with your payment in the past there's no reason they shouldn't give you an extension.

bunnicula
Jul 20, 2010, 09:59 AM

It fixes vids to bids
So many other things

yeah... spellcheck has become about 10x more annoying than it was with 3.0

the "hell" to "he'll" thing was around before 4.0.

bunnicula
Jul 20, 2010, 10:08 AM
If you call them before the service is cut off and more then a months bill they will gladly extend your bill due date by 14 days I believe it is. And usually if you call them on day 14 they will extend it a few more days. I've had to do this twice since I had my neck surgery back in April and have yet to have a problem or service cut off. Right now some weeks are better then others and I work my full 40 hours some weeks I don't. I'm not sure that this will work if you are a newer customer. I've been with AT&T since they were bellsouth mobility I believe. So, been a customer for well over 10 years now and have always paid my bill well before the due date. As long as you've been on time with your payment in the past there's no reason they shouldn't give you an extension.

AT&T will give an extension even if you run late sometimes. I know this because this happens to me now and then (forgetting to pay my bill, not getting an extension... I just go pay it when I realize I've forgotten).

I know they'll extend because they offer to extend if they happen to call me. I always tell them no thanks.... I just forgot. LOL!

puggles
Jul 20, 2010, 10:23 AM
They usually dont cut off service until you are 2 months past due

SpaceKitty
Jul 20, 2010, 10:28 AM
They usually dont cut off service until you are 2 months past due

Wrong. On an account that is one or two months old and that account is late, it be suspended after about one week and terminated after about two weeks if no payment is sent.

If the account is several months old such as 6 months or older, then the account is not suspended until about a month later. They never give someone two months of non payments, that would be insane.

puggles
Jul 20, 2010, 10:39 AM
Wrong. On an account that is one or two months old and that account is late, it be suspended after about one week and terminated after about two weeks if no payment is sent.

If the account is several months old such as 6 months or older, then the account is not suspended until about a month later. They never give someone two months of non payments, that would be insane.

I guess I meant 1 month past due...I forgot to pay my bill one month and didn't pay it until the next months bill was due and my account was never suspended.

SRLMJ23
Jul 20, 2010, 01:58 PM
Call AT&T and explain the situation you're in, usually if you can give them a date to which you can pay the whole bill or a majority of it they will not shut down your service.

murdercitydevil
Jul 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
Call AT&T and explain the situation you're in, usually if you can give them a date to which you can pay the whole bill or a majority of it they will not shut down your service.

+1

NikeTalk
Jul 20, 2010, 02:11 PM
*whips out wallet* How much ya need OP?

tjwaggoner
Jul 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
Am I the only one here to read this and think "get rid of the iPhone if paying the bill puts you in financial hardship"? I realize that people can get behind on bills, everybody has been there, no shame what-so-ever. I have been in situations where I couldnt afford something, so I didnt buy it. My wife and I both have iphones, expensive internet/tv package, buy expensive "toys" for ourselves. If it came to the point that we couldnt afford something, we would re-evaluate or finances and make the adjustments. I do love having an iphone, but it certainly is not worth the thought of damaging my credit rating, or having service shut off for non-payment.
I am not meaning to sound holier than thou, just seeing lots of advice of "call att and explain the situation" so my advice is "call att and move to an affordable phone".

don pianta
Jul 20, 2010, 02:17 PM
well i mean you've probably already heard this in your thread (i'm too lazy to read the three pages of people telling their stories. i dont care.)

but if you couldnt pay your bill maybe you should sell the iphone and get a phone with a cheaper plan, or a pay-as-you-go plan... that way you'll never run into this problem again.

beyondthesmile
Jul 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
Depending on when you restore your service, you may not be able to get the same phone #.

beyondthesmile
Jul 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
Am I the only one here to read this and think "get rid of the iPhone if paying the bill puts you in financial hardship"? I realize that people can get behind on bills, everybody has been there, no shame what-so-ever. I have been in situations where I couldnt afford something, so I didnt buy it. My wife and I both have iphones, expensive internet/tv package, buy expensive "toys" for ourselves. If it came to the point that we couldnt afford something, we would re-evaluate or finances and make the adjustments. I do love having an iphone, but it certainly is not worth the thought of damaging my credit rating, or having service shut off for non-payment.
I am not meaning to sound holier than thou, just seeing lots of advice of "call att and explain the situation" so my advice is "call att and move to an affordable phone".

I agree. If this is a one month thing because of some unexpected cost, that's one thing, but if you can't afford your bill, it's best to move on to a cheaper phone that doesn't require a data plan, or doesn't require as expensive a data plan. It is not worth damaging your credit over.

ZacUSNYR
Jul 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
heh trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. I've totally forgotten to pay one month, received a txt to my phone and instead of worrying about missing txts when it got shut off I went on-line and paid it :cool:

But yea... $200 for the phone is the least of the investment. It'll cost you over $2k for the life of the contract.

BassGirl
Sep 4, 2012, 09:26 AM
well as a former ATT customer and a brief owner of an iPhone...you should be able to still go on your phone but using wifi. You can get free wifi text apps and even wifi phone apps to make phone calls. I am with Sprint now, but I know I owned a tablet that I didn't have "service" for and used it primarily for wifi only..and when I broke my phone and couldn't make calls, I was able to call Craigslist listings for a new phone using the wifi. You will just get a different number to phone for text and calls.
I am sure being that this thread is old you probably already figured it out, but I just putting my two cents in seeing I am bored lol!:D

kannesss
Sep 4, 2012, 09:27 AM
MIght be able to use it as an iPod touch...

JerseyDoug
Sep 4, 2012, 09:29 AM
3 year old thread.