PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 apps on iPad

raymondu999
Jul 19, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hey all. Just a wonder here. Now that the iPhone 4 has specialized "retina apps" built for it at retina resolution, when the iPad is running an iPhone 4 app, would it just go by 640x960? Or would it very stupidly go back to 320x480 but double pixel again?

shadowness
Jul 20, 2010, 12:48 AM
we just have to wonder more, till ios 4 for ipad is released!
As far as i can understand all ios apps are designed to be optimized and to support various devices. apps optimized for retina display are that, they are only optimized. so if the app is installed on iphone 4 it has hi res graphics, if installed on the 3gs or 3g it uses the low res graphics!

for the ipad its a different matter, coz basically it emulates the iphone screen for iphone apps and as of 3.2.1 the emulator will be depicting only a 3gs screen res!

when ios 4 for ipad is released, probably there are emulator optimization to emulate retina display graphics and apps would work at full res on an ipad.

Scuby
Jul 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
I got an iphone app recently, which was supposedly optimised for the retina display, and found that in 2x mode on ipad most stuff looked good, but a few of the images were still only half-res. Text etc though was rendered perfectly clearly, much better than some other pre-iPhone4 apps i tried.